Do elk cross large boulder fields

Ncountry

FNG
New elk hunter from northern NY state here. Friend and I've made it to. Colorado the last 3 seasons hunting elk . Planning on another trip this year and every year after.(until we can't do it anymore :))
We were lucky and my buddy got a 4x4 the 1st year and I shit a huge muley last year.
In an area we really like I wrote off certain areas because I didn't think the elk would cross these huge boulder patches.. I'm wondering if I'm wrong and possibly missing opportunities.. What do the experienced western hunters think?Screenshot_20240218_143619_Gallery.jpg

OP
Ncountry

Ncountry

FNG
I've been lucky and havnt seen anymore than 1" of snow in September so far..

Huntin_GI

WKR
I shot a bull a few years ago on the edge of a boulder field. Heart shot, archery tackle. He ran maybe 25yards to edge of a boulder field and stopped, still on his feet. Stood there maybe 30-60 seconds just looking and then tipped over.

I am not sure if it was the heart shot or the fact it was similar to your picture but I felt it was the boulder field that stopped him.

Elk97

WKR
Wouldn't surprise me if they could cross that but I'm guessing they would normally go around it. They go through downfall like it's nothing.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The first elk I shot back in ~ 1996 was crossing a boulder field. Me and my dad were in the tent and all night we could hear it walking in the rocks and knocking rocks loose. At first lite it was still there and we got it.

OP
Ncountry

Ncountry

FNG
This is kinda what i was thinking. Some of these fields are 100s of yds wide and go for over a mile. I was thinking that the 1st easy spot to cross would be a great funnel.. But of course,
Wouldn't surprise me if they could cross that but I'm guessing they would normally go around it. They go through downfall like it's nothing.

that's the whitetail hunter in me.

I've chased early season bulls up by the mountain goats in stuff similar
but high on a mountain side. I suspect they were avoiding flies as they were in velvet.
They did come down as the rut heated up.

However, in that particular photo I'd suspect they'd opt to go around as there's cover near
and little reason to cut across it.

Elk hang out in Craters of the Moon area in Idaho. That's some nasty stuff.

wapitipaw

FNG
Yes they will cross it. If you walk up through the boulders you can often find soft paths that come out of and connect across fingers of timber. I have seen a bull in broad daylight come out into a boulder field following my cow chirp. I missed him with my bow, wildly underestimating the distance. So the second thing about boulder fields is that its really hard to judge yardage with no frame of reference.

I’m going to interpret your question as “will elk be on either side of the boulder field”, rather than will they cross it.

I find elk on either side, above and below, boulder fields like that in areas I hunt. I wouldn’t write off an area on the other side of a boulder field.

Laramie

WKR
Elk can cross most of them but like others have said, they will avoid them if they aren't on a mission. It is a great natural funnel, especially if you find a decent trail through or shortest way around.

Last edited:

jpmulk

WKR
I once watched three bulls go one at a time at sitting back on their haunches and sliding down a near vertical ice field for about a 100 yards. There were easier ways down. So ya, I reckon they go anywhere if they've a mind too.

Also, jealous you have the superpower to shit out big mule deer. Sounds painful though.