Budget planner

I'm guessing he saw 6 figures and didn't realize that's actually 100K+. but if you can't make 60k work then a different job isn't going to fix that. that's the whole point of budgeting.
you need to find your friends priorities, then have a reality talk with him. budgets are only good if you stick with them and to do that, he needs to admit he has a problem.

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ve tried a handful, every dollar is my favorite. You have the option to have your transactions imported, which would really help when trying to learn.

BenP

FNG
Money definitely doesn't go as far as it used to. I had to start a business on the side to help support my hunting habits.

tony

WKR
I have Mint on my phone, I really don't do a budget per say.
I'm proud to say my debt to money on hand, (in the bank) is pretty good. 'Course no wife and kids goes a long way to helping that :D
I write my monthly expenses in my paper planner as they are the same each month. Truck note, rent, utilities, etc. Groceries, changes each time, beer is a staple though.
Anyway Mint connects to pretty much any popular accounts out there. And you can add things manually.

Kwa_bena

FNG
I use the good old envelope method and writing down your budget on paper. Except I just keep the money I need in the bank for utilities and subscriptions. What’s left over is put into an account that I have for my hunting budget.

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
Mint for budgeting, personal capital is good as well but better to track investments.

Another thing he could look into is setting up an auto withdraw or round up to the dollar program into some savings account he doesnt look at alot. Twenty bucks doesn't buy you a box of bullets anymore but saving that much a paycheck should put a decent dent into your hunting trip costs.

Bump on this thread.

Wife and I have been married 4 years now and have not had the nasty "B-word" discussion until this past weekend. I've managed the finances but because we've never established a budget spending tends to be reactionary and my math gets fudged in my head. We aren't drowning in debt, but we falter between meh and paycheck to paycheck. Highly frustrating because sometimes purchases by me and my wife would overwhelm the monthlys and the money that was just dumped into savings would go away to pay the card off

So we had a long conversation this past weekend to work out where our money should go. We did up a spreadsheet to so that we can add a new spending category. All the data is derived from a seperate table that breaks out expenses in biweekly, monthly, bi-annually, and yearly. Its hard to wrap all your expenses into easy to interpret data, but I think we did it. I did have to go back to work the spreasheet because it "over budgeted" on certain expenses but doing that still allowed us to make things work.

As of right now we are set to make our first money transfers to savings VS. month expense the second week of April. I found that it might be painful to not transfer certain money or pay a certain thing. I get paid every 2 weeks so its gonna take 3 paychecks to get us fully adjusted and realized our actual I/O expenses

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Once you’ve started working your budget it definitely can take time to get it to start working well. Usually a few months of tweaks here and there but you’re on the right path! Good luck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Trying to help a friend set a more manageable budget so he can join in on hunting shenanigans across the country.

Do any of you guys have a good app, website, or something smart (web based) that I can point him towards? I have tried the typical stuff for tracking that I know of and that works for me. He makes good money and definitely has a spending problem so something that tracks his spending is great.
If he makes good money, you might have him open a separate hunting account and set an auto-transfer to move a set amount of money right after he gets paid. I have found it is much easier to save money that isn’t sitting in my checking account.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
If he makes good money, you might have him open a separate hunting account and set an auto-transfer to move a set amount of money right after he gets paid. I have found it is much easier to save money that isn’t sitting in my checking account.
Ding ding. I have several different "buckets" for monies. I also label the accounts. Such as "Insurance and Christmas", "Blood Money" (This is my hunting/mad money account that I fund via plasma donation) etc.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
Bump on this thread.
Responding on your bump.

My wife and I used to be diehard Mint users until it went down. We now use YNAB (although it does cost $100 a year).

This year we started the "50-30-20" rule where you spend 50% on needs, 30% on wants, and 20% savings and it is going well so far.

We used to be over indexed on savings (more than 50% gross to savings) and our 2024 goal was to rebalance and start spending more which is a nice place to be in.

We noticed that it took a lot of communication to set the "correct" budgets for us to be happy with personal spend vs. savings vs. travel. vs house spend. We reached out savings goals and now we can benefit on spending more for fun, and it has taken a lot of work to find the right amount of "personal" spend now too without it feeling like the floodgates just opened.