Bugle Sky Elk?

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Last year during my first elk hunt in Idaho during September one of our pilots noticed my bugle tube and told me not to bother bugling as the elk in the OTC units will just head the other way due to hunting pressure and wolves. Just curious if this is something you guys have ran into or if I was just getting spun a tall tail. We never heard a single bugle on our hunt even though a guy got a six point just half a mile from where we were. Wasn't too hot and never heard any wolves. Thoughts?

ElkNut, Randy Newberg, and Corey Jacobsen--my popular hunting figure favorites--all heavily use bugling techniques in September. Some people think it's ineffective but I'd say many, if not the majority, find it helpful in locating elk. Especially if you're flying in, I'd have no fears to let 'er rip on the bugle tube.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’m glad the tale gets spread. Makes me less likely to get called in if guys are afraid to bugle. That said I use mine regularly. OTC Colorado just a couple miles from the road with good success. They don’t all run the other way and I only need one to play along!

In my experience the guys telling you not to bugle are the ones that really don't know what to say to the elk at the right time. If you run around the woods ripping challenge bugles and grunts all day of course they won't respond to you. But in the right situation, at the right time, bugling is very, very effective- even in units with hunting pressure, wolves, etc.

Get your hands on any books, DVD's and podcasts by Elknut, Corey Jacobson, and Chris Roe to help you understand what to say and when to say it.

Wapiti1

WKR
In some areas that I hunt, the elk just don't bugle much. Plenty of elk, not a lot of pressure. The elk there are just non-vocal for whatever reason. Some of the elk bugle myths come from those areas, IMO. I still bugle there, and have done well. Just have to adjust to a more tame strategy.

Or from hunters that didn't understand what was happening. Sometimes small bulls will scurry from a dominant bugle. Getting your ass kicked makes you shy. The other scenario is a herd bull that has cows to lose won't come to a challenge. He'll pack up the herd and leave. He isn't running from a hunter, he is preserving what he has. Neither of these scenarios has anything to do with hunting pressure, it is just elk behavior basics.

Just some thoughts.

Jeremy