Bugles - Flathead Valley MT

matthewmt

WKR
I wasn't able to get out last weekend or this week yet but tomorrow and sat I'm planning on hunting and will report back.
Moon has been super bright, so I've wondered how that's affecting things.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been out every day this week. Heard some cow talk one day but not one bugle. Mostly evenings but was out this morning an hour before sunrise. Most hunts were west of town and one day in the swans.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy is planning on going west this weekend again and will report back once i hear from him...have another local soccer tourney for the kids so wont get out again with him till next weekend hopefully.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
It was crickets out there this weekend...went to some of our go to spots and not a peep. How did it go for everyone else out there they starting to talk at all? Got a report from a friend in Ovando and same thing was dead quiet. Have also been hearing that across alot of the state...what the heck is going on again?

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard there are some sounding off west of Kalispell. Just have to find the bulls that want to play I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
Finally heard a bugle this morning. Only one, and he wouldn’t talk back to me. West of Kalispell.

matthewmt

WKR
I've heard elk screaming around the 2nd week into October out west so who knows. Temps are dropping and the moons getting smaller.

Comerade

FNG
I am directly north of Eureka( and east)
Bulls are bugling here, I am at home and can here a couple outside of the house right now.
I will take a stroll as we have daylight this morning. Things have changed over the years and these herds move onto private land as the pressure increases.
Last night I took a saddle horse up a mountain and saw zero, came home in the dark and heard quite alot of activity.
The elk herds and the Grizzlies move in and the road hunters are doing their regular drive by's.
The valley bottem is private land , I swear , you see more game on private land than in a national park.

bsnedeker

WKR
Much respect to you guys out hunting elk up here! I hunt bears locally but for elk I drive at least 5 hours!!!

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Planning getting out this weekend to give it a college effort to help my buddy get his and will report back on what we are running into. Not holding my breath but looks like its going to be a good weekend weather wise and with the moon starting to not be as bright crossing fingers they are doing something we can capitalize on.

matthewmt

WKR
I am directly north of Eureka( and east)
Bulls are bugling here, I am at home and can here a couple outside of the house right now.
I will take a stroll as we have daylight this morning. Things have changed over the years and these herds move onto private land as the pressure increases.
Last night I took a saddle horse up a mountain and saw zero, came home in the dark and heard quite alot of activity.
The elk herds and the Grizzlies move in and the road hunters are doing their regular drive by's.
The valley bottem is private land , I swear , you see more game on private land than in a national park.
I run to eureka once a week usually, I've heard there's a lot of town critters lately.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Got out last weekend and it was pretty rough...was quite a bit warmer then what they were calling for and usually this time of year we see a drop in pressure but was not the case this weekend.

We were able to get into a bull every morning but it we go pretty tight lipped right after first light. We chased one around on Sunday that would just make a small moan bugle and that was about it and only every 15 min...we thought we had finally gotten in his bubble enough and he was coming in but then just went silent and dissapeared into the mist.

Anyone else get out in the last few days and getting into anything?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
I struck out. Got into some cows a few times during rifle but that’s about the only action I had. I did find a dead rag horn in the woods that someone must’ve put a bad shot on, but that’s the closest I came to a bull during rifle.

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't know about elk, but I'm chomping at the bit to get my SxS registered so I can get after some wolves this winter! Title work is taking forever (bought from dude in SD) so I'm very antsy right now with all this fresh snow!

matthewmt

WKR
Sounds like more snow is inbound so I wouldn't worry about that.
Kept meaning to check in on this thread, hope everyone had a good season.

sent a few guys PMs in this thread. I'm fairly new to the valley and looking for some basic info. willing to meet up, buy beer/lunch for elk/deer/predator knowledge.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
I know its early but thought I would check in and see what folks are hearing out there if anything. Went out saturday morning and there were a few maybes but so far off couldnt trully tell and when we tried to get closer the direction we thought we heard was silent. Anyone else?