Bugles - Flathead Valley MT

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
any updates put there anything starting to whistle? Not sure i will even be able to get out this season family health issues are really putting a damper on things :(

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Hey fellas, I found a rangefinder on a logging road while out checking cameras west of Kalispell and would like to get it back to whomever dropped it. Whoever claims it needs to give me the brand and model of the rangefinder and the creek drainage they lost it in. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Thank goodness for the weather cooling things off and the smoke is virtually gone...in the valley!

Anyone getting out and hearing anything lighting up yet...on friday it was pretty much crickets...called in a lone cow that about ran me over but other then that didnt hear anything.

MT_Nate

FNG
I heard bugles on opening day down the Swan. I haven't heard a single bugle since and I've been out in the field at least 9 different mornings or evenings in the same general area. Not a good year so far for me. Hope others are getting some action.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure the area that you hunt down the swan but has been tuff that direction for some time...had a buddy that used to hunt it alot and last 3 years have absolutely sucked. He will go back once or twice a season band has yet to get into anything so sad.

I primarily go west but the areas that I usually hit have been getting harder and harder to buy a bugle so time to start expanding it looks like :(

MT_Nate

FNG
Not sure the area that you hunt down the swan but has been tuff that direction for some time...had a buddy that used to hunt it alot and last 3 years have absolutely sucked. He will go back once or twice a season band has yet to get into anything so sad.

I primarily go west but the areas that I usually hit have been getting harder and harder to buy a bugle so time to start expanding it looks like :(
The timeline you mention about the past 3 years is pretty much dead on. The last "great" year I had in the Swan was 2019, and that was after about 7 years in a row that delivered really good action. The past 3 years it has gotten progressively worse. I cannot believe the lack of sign in some of the areas that were absolute barnyards before.

I don't rule out the potential that a lead cow was killed and the herd relocated to the next-in-line cow's preference. My daughter got a Swan cow tag in 2014 and shot the lead cow in an area that had filled our elk tags over-and-over for several years. The next year we couldn't locate an elk and sign was nil.

I've been out for the past 5 evenings. Not a peep. From ovando to Bigfork. Seen a group of 7 bulls chilln together on the side of the highway on paws property showed zero interest in anything other than feeding .

MT_Nate

FNG
I've been out for the past 5 evenings. Not a peep. From ovando to Bigfork. Seen a group of 7 bulls chilln together on the side of the highway on paws property showed zero interest in anything other than feeding .
Good to hear. I'm a bit on the deaf side so I sometimes wonder if I'm not hearing far-off responses. Interesting about those bulls...that pretty much says it all for me.

Good to hear. I'm a bit on the deaf side so I sometimes wonder if I'm not hearing far-off responses. Interesting about those bulls...that pretty much says it all for me.
I'm really surprised with the nice weather we have had in the mornings that it hasn't ramped them up yet. I'll be out for the rainy weather tomorrow to see what I can't muster up. Gotta be careful with how much calling you do around these places . Dont want to up up being a quick snack ...

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
I know that they have been starting up over in Bozo starting to get pics flying in from friends and such so really hoping that this colder mornings means they are starting to feel frisky and pulling out the suicide mission cards and give away their locations. I wont make it out though for at least another weekend but buddy is headed out in a couple days so will see what he runs into.

13 days in the field, approximately 155 miles logged cruising for bugles on my feet, exactly 3 bugles from the same bull, last night. Lazy, single chuckles /grunts to start, maybe 3-4 over 10 minutes, then 3 bugles. One on his own and two in reply to my cow calls. Bugle kept him silent. Rascal zigged when i thought he zagged, got down wind and i left him alone. Hoping he pulls the same trick again tonight, I'll be waiting.

Thought i heard 1 mew to my cow call, but it could have been the bull. His single note grunt, high bugles, and lack of bass on finish and his reluctance to bugle at my bugles make me wonder if he's just a little feller.

Bull elk in the NW part of the state seems to be pretty tight lipped at the moment.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like the 155 miles paid off and finally found one...been a depressing season so far only been out two times and of those two times not a peep. Not hearing much for good reports I think you are the first one i have heard saying they got into anything. Good luck tonight!!

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
Glad I’m not the only one. My usual spots west of town have no sign. The elk just aren’t there. I was able to get into them in a new drainage this morning. Snuck right up on the herd (75ish yards) and let out a bugle, and they picked up and ran the other direction. I haven’t heard a bugle yet this year.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy went out west and was able to get on a herd and was in them most of most of the day. Bulls would not bugle unless he bugled and cow calls disnt seem to work. Had a hot sat come in on gim as he was walking out and he missed a chance a to take him at 30 :( next day was crickets again. Called in 3 sets of hunters which was nuts for where he was at but the joys of new hunters and bot many elk.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
We were out friday saturday and sunday and only hunters. I know from what i heard earlier in the week they were going nuts in different parts of mt. Had a buddy down in lima and they were going nuts the smoke rolled in and the woods went ghost.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Was in Lima on the 12th for 5 days and never heard a single elk, all the guys I talked to also had not heard a single bull

Sounds like all of the elk migrated from MT to Idaho and Wyoming!

Bulls were really vocal opening weekend. I was able to cow call myself into this bull on Labor Day. It seemed like the latter part of the first week they were being quiet and wouldn't bugle past 7 a.m. or so. Not sure if it was pressure, full moon, smoke or a combination thereof.

This past weekend (24th and 25th) was an absolute rut fest, but they were in isolated pockets. It's a burned area, but on the N facing slopes that were heavy timber there were multiple bulls glunking and bugling consistently at 12:30 p.m. obviously because there was/were hot cow(s).

67f434eea5fcf83dd6e628ee4d3e2dca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome work man you in mention the elk all left MT that mean you are over in ID or Wyoming? How far of a pack?

Have yet to get into elk that are actually rutting throughout the day its typically you find one in the morning and chase them up the mtn and usually they out pace you by 830 and you are done for the day :(

Am hoping to get out for a friday morning hunt and then next week for a few days and that is going to be my season...super bummed but such is life.

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
Any updates? Ive been out of town for a week, gonna hit it again tomorrow and maybe Friday morning.