Bugling in Colorado high country

Called in a 6x6 for one hunter. Came in silent to 35 yards. He shot under him. Had another hunter get a 5x5 that was bugling. Spotty, but very quiet.

mavmskyb8

FNG
Just got back from 11 days in the San Juan's. First 8 were slow, bad weather too. Last 3 were crazy. Just like all the videos you watch. passed on 3 bulls. Going back for 10 days on the 15th.

Called in a 5x5 to 15 yards for a hunter. No shot. Went up the ridge chasing another one and called in a giant in the 330+ class. Bet he bugled 50 times. Called into 50. Log got hit by a hunter, not the elk....going back this morning.

Called in a 6x6 for one hunter. Came in silent to 35 yards. He shot under him. Had another hunter get a 5x5 that was bugling. Spotty, but very quiet.

Called in a 5x5 to 15 yards for a hunter. No shot. Went up the ridge chasing another one and called in a giant in the 330+ class. Bet he bugled 50 times. Called into 50. Log got hit by a hunter, not the elk....going back this morning.

Sounds like you really have it going on !! Must be exciting. I can't wait the 6 weeks for my turn to get after them. They will probably be finished all their bugling by then (Oct 22 nd)..

Last edited:
Got into elk Sunday evening. Couldn't get the small bull to bugle but he kept barking at me. Monday evening I heard a few bugles.

mavmskyb8

FNG
Bugling was pretty strong in the San Juans the last 3 days. Saw one bull w/ 13 cows, one bull w/ 6 cows. They were small bulls, I think they're going to get their a$$ kicked soon.

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
Called in and shot a 6x6 on August 28th (in an OTC unit). He came in very quiet to a challenge bugle(I spotted him walking in the woods). Called in two 6x6's for a buddy over the weekend. He missed both times inside 30 yards. One deflection and one rushed shot.

Everything seems to be pretty quiet still. I'm only getting occasional responses and those are almost always to big display bugles after some light cow calling. Don't be afraid to cover a ton of ground in a hurry. It just takes one, or three I guess in my buddy's case.
IMG_3138.JPG
My first August elk.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Called in and shot a 6x6 on August 28th (in an OTC unit). He came in very quiet to a challenge bugle(I spotted him walking in the woods). Called in two 6x6's for a buddy over the weekend. He missed both times inside 30 yards. One deflection and one rushed shot.

Everything seems to be pretty quiet still. I'm only getting occasional responses and those are almost always to big display bugles after some light cow calling. Don't be afraid to cover a ton of ground in a hurry. It just takes one, or three I guess in my buddy's case.
View attachment 40270
My first August elk.
This is s great bull congratulations

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mmcan

WKR
Around Groundhog, Lone Cone, and Beaver Mt it was dead quiet the last 5 days with the exception of a couple of faint bugles early morning. Could've been hunters? Covered 4-6 miles each day. 9500-11,000 ft. Pretty off any roads. Only found a couple of areas w fresh sign. Sat an awesome wallow all day but saw no elk yesterday, or any day except driving at night around 11pm. Other hunters we spoke with said it has been that way, and crowded the first few days through Labor Day. Evidently, the elk do not like that. Muzzle loader starts tomorrow. We will head back in on Monday, wearing orange. Maybe they'll chase some in our direction.

cutup75

FNG
We were out today in unit 45, warm temps, we were around 9000ft to 10500 ft, hiked right at 8miles, no bugling,super quiet. Saw some great bucks and a bear but no elk.

aggieland

WKR
Question: do you have to wear orange if you are using Archery equipment in CO during muzzle loader season? I never have before but want to make sure. thanks!

No, a bow hunter does not have to wear orange during CO. ML season, only the ML hunter does.

Out all last week, bivy hunted up to 11000' very warm and no elk talk, low 70's day time temps and low 40's at night. One morning had some frost. That night at around 12:30 one short off sounding bugle. Not much fresh sign at all. Seen one nice bull, and another day seen two cows.

Took my 3 year old "scouting" from the truck to a sanctuary area that's usually popping by 9/11. Only saw 6 cows (300+ is the norm) and heard no bugling. Stopped in the dark above another basin on private that's usually good elk watching and nothing there either. Surprised but I bet it changes by next week. Unit 21.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
Question: do you have to wear orange if you are using Archery equipment in CO during muzzle loader season? I never have before but want to make sure. thanks!

Always remember that the laws only apply for the tag you're hunting. It doesn't matter what else is going on. There's even rifle hunters during your bow season.

danarnold

WKR
On the 7th finally heard some bugling starting about 11:30 AM, 9300' elevation, things got real by 1:30
a84ce17723791e54be47430fbd4b3162.jpg