Bugling in Colorado high country

Happened again. Called in another 6x6 for hunter. Would be 280+. Called him to 60...miss. called him back to 30....miss again.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh come up to 66 this week we'll put one on the ground. Calling can be a ton fun if they will follow the script

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yea I agree. but sometimes the big Bulls don't show up until the rut. Like big deer they can just appear like ghosts never seen before

They aren't stupid, they let the little guys do all the work and then swing in and kick the little guys out. At least that's how they do it where I normally hunt.

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just left top of gmu 63 and all quite. No bugles and warm temps. Some signs but mostly traveling during dark hours. No opportunities and only saw a spike. We will have to try again next season

Mmcan

WKR
71 still dead where we are. Not a damn thing, and a friend who guides said the 2 outfitters he knows in this area have only taken one bull all season

Pramo

WKR
I'm in 70 and had a bull bulls bugle Thursday in the morning and evening and nothing since then. Moon is bright and weather is warm so I'm going high for a bivy hunt to try and find some action

WyoElk

WKR
They were going off pretty good last Thursday and Friday but have been silent since, central CO.

vanish

WKR
My wife just called from NoCo. She said the bulls were going nuts this evening (though they were dead silent on Sunday).

And that was the only bugles she heard all week until I joined her. Saturday morning we had two bulls sounding off until 8am. Then that was it again.

Hunted 77 the last 10 days. Heard very little bugling. What did hear was right at daylight and for the first hr

Grand county Im hearing bulls at night 1am-5am and they shut off at 5 every morning and wont make a peep all day.

They can be very call shy up there in Grand County...well the whole state, but i know up there especially with all the traffic it gets as one of the first OTC units

My unit is still dead quite..cant find them by timber busting either..what a weird year

Dabo

FNG
8 days in 71 only bugles heard before daylight on 2 of the hunt days. Saw 1 good bull and 2 smaller bulls, passed a cow but had a great trip.

Spoke to my Outfitter last night. Hunting in Co Unit 79/81 (private Ranch), very little bugling. 40 degrees in the AM, 70's in the day. Saw a few shooters, and had one Bull hit but not recovered. Two missed shots (total of six bow hunters). Things are really moving slow right now.

jkra410

FNG
Been in southern 81 in Chama Basin for 4 days sleeping outside and hunting all day. Not one bugle to be heard or elk to be seen. Moving to South San Juan for the last few days of my hunt.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Been in southern 81 in Chama Basin for 4 days sleeping outside and hunting all day. Not one bugle to be heard or elk to be seen. Moving to South San Juan for the last few days of my hunt.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the same area. We stay in Chama, and drive North to the Ranch about 10 miles. Good luck! I hope your move pays off.

Last edited:

Ksbowhtr

FNG
Spent 7 days in the west elk wilderness, unit 54. Never heard a bugle. Unbelievable!! Just came out Monday. What a disappointment.

Spoke to my Outfitter last night. Hunting in Co Unit 79/81 (private Ranch), very little bugling. 40 degrees in the AM, 70's in the day. Saw a few shooters, and had one Bull hit but not recovered. Two missed shots (total of six bow hunters). Things are really moving slow right now.

Update 6:30pm (CST) : They heard several bulls bugling this morning, and saw a couple more. None within bow range.

National Weather Service is saying that Tropical Storm Paine will have moisture moving in from the SouthWest, resulting in precipitation and much colder weather (their words) for the 2nd half of the week. They are forecasting snow as low as 8000' elevations.
This could be what we were waiting for to get them moving. Hope you guys can wait until the weather turns.

Last edited: