Bugling in the rain?

RagnarRok

FNG
... do you find that elk bugle when the rain moves in?

Do you bugle when it’s raining? Cow call? Neither?

Regards,

Rad

SMIB
RLTW!

I was out Monday and it was a downpour and we had 3 bulls going absolutely nuts as soon as the rain started. Once the rain stopped the bugles slowed back down.

Generally I have not heard many bugles in the rain, or had much luck bugling in the rain. Hear the occasional bugle, but definitely more bugling action when it is not raining. I hunt roosevelts though, not sure how rockies are in the rain.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
It's been raining off and on the last week or so, and the bulls have been bugling in the rain. I just believe they bugle whenever they feel like it.

I was out Monday and it was a downpour and we had 3 bulls going absolutely nuts as soon as the rain started. Once the rain stopped the bugles slowed back down.
What time did the rain start? Do you think it got them stirred up out of their beds looking for a quickie? It was dry here this past week and they were bugling their brains out all night long and silent during daylight hours.

On my archery hunt this year they bugled all afternoon, rain or shine. In general the cooler weather from the rain seemed to get them going, and certainly didn't stop them.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hear lots of people say rain doesn't bother them, but my experience has been different. Light mist and rain showers don't seem to bother them, but steady rain shuts them up fast. I typically hunt SW Washington in September and I think the elk like to wait out the rain in the timber.

I'm not sure there is a right answer. I'm just curious of other people's experiences.

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
Right before or after a rain is far better then when its actually raining in our experience!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
8 days out in SW Wa this year, heard steady bugling each day except during the rain. Now that I think of it I rarely hear them in rain. A mist is different though. Oh, and I suck at getting elk at presenting me a good shot angle..... Still bitter about this early season!

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
When it’s raining I usually switch to just soft cow calls and still hunting. I’ve tiptoed right in to bedded elk on the coast more than once when it’s been raining. Where I hunt the bugles usually turn off when it’s raining.

TheCougar

WKR
One of our best days of bugling action in MT was during freezing rain and sleet last weekend. Got two shots off in 30 minutes. I wished I had stayed in bed on the hike in, belittled then forgot about it when the bugles started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk