Building a left-handed precision rifle

TheAngler

FNG
Given I am left-handed, options for a 300 PRC are limited. Currently there are no options.

I am considering building a rifle on a XLR chassis, Defiance action, and Proof barrel.

I have been reading online and I have an idea of the parts I need but I want to be 100% certain given the long wait times for some parts.

Is there a good resource for figuring out the right pieces I need for a build?

Than

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You can get the Christensen arms titanium ridgeline and Mesa in left hand in 300 prc. They are both on gunbroker right now for sale

OP
T

TheAngler

FNG
You can get the Christensen arms titanium ridgeline and Mesa in left hand in 300 prc. They are both on gunbroker right now for sale
Thanks left hunter. I may get that one. I spoke with one of the Christensen Arms elite dealers. They didn't recommend the titanium actions because tend to expand/contract as used.

I plan on using the rifle frequently 300+ rounds per year. Has anybody had experience with Ti actions? Any thoughts on longevity of Ti barrels?

Thanks left hunter. I may get that one. I spoke with one of the Christensen Arms elite dealers. They didn't recommend the titanium actions because tend to expand/contract as used.

I plan on using the rifle frequently 300+ rounds per year. Has anybody had experience with Ti actions? Any thoughts on longevity of Ti barrels?
Titanium actions are fine with factory ammo, but high pressure hand loads will have more issues with Ti vs SS or CM. There are no Ti barrels so you can remove that from your decision making process.

OP
T

TheAngler

FNG
Titanium actions are fine with factory ammo, but high pressure hand loads will have more issues with Ti vs SS or CM. There are no Ti barrels so you can remove that from your decision making process.
I meant action and not barrel. That was a typo. I plan on using hand loads. I guess the Ti action is out. Thank you for the info.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It’s available with the standard non titanium action as well (I believe they are cerakoted stainless steel)

OP
T

TheAngler

FNG
I haven't seen any Ridgeline LH 300 PRC in my local shops or online (e.g., gunbroker.com). If you see one somewhere, let me know.

In the past year I've ordered 2 Defiance Rebel actions, the first one took about 4 months and the 2nd less than 2 months. And if you order it right its pretty lightweight if that is what you are hoping for since you mentioned going Ti action.

For a CF barrel you might also consider the Bartlein CF wrapped - great barrels! And Bugholes has some in stock now so if they have the right twist you might get lucky and have a barrel ready to roll (y)

Oregonmuley, can you share your build details?
Happy to! I basically had 2 rifles built with the same specs other than the scope. Both built by Shaen Magan @ Shaen Rifles. Shaen does fantastic work and is super fast - I had the 1st rifle back in less than a month from when I sent him the parts. And yes they both shoot even with factory ammo. Both are 7MM-08's ;)

Specs:

Defiance Machine Rebel short action, sheep cut port, extra deep flutes on bolt, Remington style bolt handle with teardrop bolt knob
Proof Research carbon fiber stock
Bartlein #4 contour carbon wrapped barrel, 1-8.5" twist, finished @ 23"
TriggerTech primary trigger
Hawkins aluminum BDL with Wyatts mag box/spring/follower
Talley Lwt lows
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10-42 scope
Rifle only weighs just under 6lbs.

Second one same other than stock color and scope.

Beautiful rifles! Who did you use for the cerakote?
Thanks! Like I said Shaen does awesome work!! On the 2nd one I wanted it Cerakoted but due to the tight tolerance on the Defiance actions Shaen suggested Birdsong Black-T which is what we did on the action and its as slick as a non-coated action and appears to be even tougher than Cerakote.

OP
T

TheAngler

FNG
It looks like wait times for Defiant are a little under a year.

I am looking at a Defiance Deviant Hunter LH action that is current in stock at another site (viz., http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/l-def-dev-hnt-la-mag-l.htm). It comes in a long action. I believe a long action will work for a 300 PRC.

I know that I will need 300 PRC barrel pre-fit for Defiance. Is there anything I need to do/buy for the Defiance long action to make it work with a 300 PRC (e.g., certain extractor, bolt face)?

It looks like wait times for Defiant are a little under a year.

I am looking at a Defiance Deviant Hunter LH action that is current in stock at another site (viz., http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/l-def-dev-hnt-la-mag-l.htm). It comes in a long action. I believe a long action will work for a 300 PRC.

I know that I will need 300 PRC barrel pre-fit for Defiance. Is there anything I need to do/buy for the Defiance long action to make it work with a 300 PRC (e.g., certain extractor, bolt face)?
Not sure on that - I'd get set-up with a gunsmith and see what they say - unless you are going to do a pre-fit and screw it together yourself?

OP
T

TheAngler

FNG
I was thinking about buying a Proof prefit and screwing it on myself. I just don't know if I need to do anything to the action to make it work with a 300 PRC. I guess I will find a gunsmith to get it worked out.

Wags

WKR
It's tough being a lefty, but its definitely getting better. You may want to take a look at Bighorn as well. They make solid actions in Lefty and if you want a pre fit barrel I believe Proof makes them for the Bighorn.

OP
T

TheAngler

FNG
I close to pulling the trigger on building a LH custom rifle build. Does anybody have feedback on if these parts will work together, missing anything, and / or alternative parts?

300 PRC
$ 67.00Wyatt box kit
$ 185.00Hawkins Precision – Remington LA Oberndorf Bottom Metal Black Anodized
$ 1,380.00Defiance Anti X action (LA Action)
$ 650.00Mesa - Remington Altitude Stock (long action)
$ 940.00Proof - Defiance Pre-fit barrel (carbon) 24in
$ 314.99Rem 700 Diamond Trigger

khuber84

WKR
Your list looks excellent! I've fondled the anti actions a bit, for what they were after(uber light steel) the accomplished it well. However cutting all the steel out they did, they action no longer has the normal defiance solid smooth feel. A full nitride antiX is 1630$ an alternative is the Bat Vampire which is 1.5oz heavier. My hunting partner just received his, replacing his LPA Razor-ti(gauling/lug setback) I installed a TT diamond trigger. The timing is almost perfect, super smooth! Beautiful piece of craftsmanship and best of all, it feels solid as a brick. Alex Wheeler has a thread on them over on the LRH forum. He's a big defiance fan as well, but says the vampire is the best light weight action available.
On a side note, I would also recommend getting a barrel blank and have a good smith fit the chamber to the action. A few smiths have revised their reamer dimensions in 65 and 300prc to help hand loaders reach higher performance with clickers on primary extraction lifting the bolt. Lane Precision Rifles and Wheeler Accuracy are two that I know of. None of this matters if you're going to shoot straight factory ammo.
Unknown munitions built a 300rum with a 20" carbon6 barrel in the Mesa altitude stock, runs 215 hybrids at 3100fps w/ no pressure signs. That's how solid these actions are. If I had to build one rifle to hunt everything, I'd build off this template with your desired carbon barrel variety in whatever magnum cartridge of your choosing. It weighs 8.5# all up.
Screenshot_20210616-164554_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210616-164337_Instagram.jpg

Last edited: