Bushpilot’s MYOG thread

eamyrick

WKR
Very interested to see how the Nalgene pocket attaches. Also are these for sale? I love my 3600 solo but would love to get the pocket back further.

OP
bushpilot

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome looking hot tent! Where did you get the stove jack from?
I got the silicon fibreglass 12”x36” sheet from lite outdoors. So I have enough to make 3 stove jacks. Just sew on the velcro and silnylon and you are cooking

I picked up a sewing machine this winter with the goal of making my own gear and learning a new skill in the process. Quite a few of these threads up here now, but I would figure I would post some pictures of my projects to help inspire others. Maybe I will add some build alongs in the future.

To get started I started making some accessories for my stone glacier pack. First up was a Nalgene bottle holder that sits out of the way and doesn’t flip around when it sits on the side of the hip. So I made it to sit between the shoulder strap and frame on the belt. Still easy access, but out of the way. While I was at it I made a gps pouch that sits on the belt webbing for easy access.View attachment 518373

I was looking to do something like this for my stone glacier but I have yet to figure out how to attach it to the waist belt. How did you attach it and would you do it that way again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bushpilot

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking to do something like this for my stone glacier but I have yet to figure out how to attach it to the waist belt. How did you attach it and would you do it that way again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I made the water bottle pocket to go over the whole waist belt. It then attaches back on the pocket by sliding it through a webbing keeper and velcro if to the side. Lots of interest in this project so I will do a build along one of these days.

IMG_4272.jpeg

OP
bushpilot

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I have been busy at work and have not been spending much time at the sewing machine. But on a different note my latest project was a set of custom propellor ties and exhaust port covers for my work airplane. (This turbine is free-turbine shaft, so the propellor can just windmill when off, and requires being secured.) So far they have held up great in some very intense wind and weather.

IMG_5188.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5189.jpeg
    IMG_5189.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 21

anshla

FNG
Wow nice work! How much do you think you spent on materials for the pyramid hot tent?

nobody

WKR
Been a minute but I have been slowly putting together this pyramid hot tent the last couple of weeks. It came together quite well, only will need a few minor adjustments for the next one. It weighs 2.5lbs with stakes and carbon fiber pole, 5.5lbs with my lite outdoors stove. Base is 9’x9’ and 6’ tall.

View attachment 561850View attachment 561851
I'm not kidding when I say I would buy one of these from you. I LOVE my teepee tent, but I hate that I need so stinking many stakes to hold it down, and I have a heck of a time setting up the stake spacing through trial and error. I feel like the pyramid design is superior and would alleviate this headache, and a one-of-a-kind would be neat. Bravo sir, thanks for sharing!

OP
bushpilot

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you source these buckles from?
I just took a 3/4 buckle (duraflex i believe) and sniped the one side so hang on the loop attachment with a pair of side cutters, then cleaned it up with a dremel so there was no sharp edges.

I just took a 3/4 buckle (duraflex i believe) and sniped the one side so hang on the loop attachment with a pair of side cutters, then cleaned it up with a dremel so there was no sharp edges.

d3b0c9a2-75db-4235-bb59-80ae395dd48f_text.gif

I picked up a sewing machine this winter with the goal of making my own gear and learning a new skill in the process. Quite a few of these threads up here now, but I would figure I would post some pictures of my projects to help inspire others. Maybe I will add some build alongs in the future.

To get started I started making some accessories for my stone glacier pack. First up was a Nalgene bottle holder that sits out of the way and doesn’t flip around when it sits on the side of the hip. So I made it to sit between the shoulder strap and frame on the belt. Still easy access, but out of the way. While I was at it I made a gps pouch that sits on the belt webbing for easy access.View attachment 518373
Hey @bushpilot , very cool stuff you're doing here. My wife has a Singer (unsure of model) at home and I'm trying to figure out if it will be able to do projects like this. Seeing how thin the material is, I would imagine it can, but looking at this nalgene holder it looks like it may be something similar to neoprene which would be a little tougher for it to shove the needle through. But seeing as you're able to do it, hopefully mine can. What needle size, thread, and speed are you using with yours? Is there a specific stitch you needed to use, or can you skin that cat a couple of ways?

OP
bushpilot

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Hey @bushpilot , very cool stuff you're doing here. My wife has a Singer (unsure of model) at home and I'm trying to figure out if it will be able to do projects like this. Seeing how thin the material is, I would imagine it can, but looking at this nalgene holder it looks like it may be something similar to neoprene which would be a little tougher for it to shove the needle through. But seeing as you're able to do it, hopefully mine can. What needle size, thread, and speed are you using with yours? Is there a specific stitch you needed to use, or can you skin that cat a couple of ways?
This water bottle holder material was similar to Codura 500 and I have made projects with Codura 1000 on this machine. Along with 5mm neoprene as well. It handles the straight material fine. When you are using the material plus webbing best to hand turn the machine through the stitches to make it easier on your sewing machine.

I typically use a 100/16 needle and Mara 70 on this heavier fabric materials. Straight stitch for most applications and a bar tack or box stitch for high stress areas like when the belt attachment is. Hopefully this helps!

Yeah, that's great thank you! You mentioned you were going with some industrial machines, which ones were you thinking, or did you have specific ones in mind?