Button Release

Have used an index trigger for years and looking to move to button/thumb release. Any suggestions on what has worked well? Nock2it and Ultra view look great, was curious on opinion of people who use them.

Ive used Carters, UV and just picked up a Stan Onnex Clicker. All of them have been good. It's really how they fit and personal preference. Have heard of some quality issues with UV but no issues on mine after thousands of arrows. All that said, the Onnex has by far the best trigger and sear action of any I have used to date. I have not made a single adjustment to mine. Shoots great right out of the box. Nice thing about the Stan is it comes with all the extras to configure. Different arms, barrels, and the four finger conversion pc. That is extra on the UV. Carter has a ton of different configurations. Just have to find one you like if you go that route. I have a 4 finger Insatiable but found I wasn't using the 4th finger anymore, so have spent probably a grand on releases in the last year. Also have the UV hinge but not as happy with it. Super nice release, just can't get the click and fire moons set where I want them. No help on the Nock 2 It. Sorry.

dsh540

FNG
I made the switch a couple of months ago from an index to a thumb release and I will never look back! The first two I tried were the Truball Rave and the B3 Exit Pro. Both are great releases, but I caved a bought a UV Button and it is leaps and bounds ahead of the other two. The more expensive releases are well worth the money in terms of quality and feel. I think you would be happy with any of the quality releases. (UV, Stan, Carter, Nock On, etc.)

OP
L
awesome, thanks guys - going to give a couple a try, looking forward to it.

Try as many as you can! Each will settle in the hand, pinch, pull, at different spots. They will also differ on the spread of the fingers, like how far you fingers are separated in the handle shape. This is what made a release comfortable to me. Also the thickness of the finger grooves. Will you shoot with gloves?? The size of the groove and spread profile will mess with that. Some are straight profile and others are curved. Some can do both. Try as many as you can. I have tried so many and wasted money buying and selling trying to find the right profile. Also pay attention to the neck length. Some are short some are long, it matters because it's going to change your draw length and where you anchor. I don't use a thumb anymore (shot it for 1.5 years or so), went back to an index, but I experimented with many when finding a thumb. Also, how it attaches to the D loop, can be important, especially if hunting. All the ones you have mentioned have the ability to hang it on the D loop either with a spring (UV/STAN) or how it loads the trigger (carter). Also do you want a lanyard? Some people are afraid of loosing them in the woods...a lanyard prevents that, but then you can't just hook it to the string and leave it there. Part of what I wanted was to clip it to the string and then still do other things with my hands (eat, bino/range stuff), but you risk losing them....(which sucks when drop $300 and lose it in the woods). Handheld releases are heavier than the index versions, so when they are hooked to a lanyard and then your wrist it can clang and dangle....not the best when climbing stands or messing with crap....

Nock on "Nock too It" is just a Nock on branded custom edition of the carter wise choice. It's a wise choice profile and trigger in a 2 finger version in custom colors. So if you don't want the 2 finger or don't care about getting the green color, you can buy the wise choice and it's the same release.

I have used Carters, Stan mostly. Shot a tru ball blade as well (it's pretty good, the flex version is more adjustable). I shot the UV at the shop.

My top choices:

Carter too simple: Was my main release for a long time. It has the shortest neck so it didn't change my draw length. Great trigger. Only comes in a 3 or 4 finger and has limited barrel adjustment. It's also only straight profile and only one size. Most carters are one size.

Carter wise choice: Like the too simple but longer neck. Has the circle finger whole for the first finger if you like that. It change my draw length by about 1/8-1/4 and so I sold it. Comes in 3 or 4 finger straight profile only.

UV Button: loved the profile, great trigger, pretty adjustable. IT'S by far the longest neck length handheld I have found. When compared to my too simple from Carter it lengthed my draw length by 3/4 of inch easily. This is why I chose not to use it.

Stan Onnex, both the clicker and regular: Can order in multiple sizes sm-xl, so you can really find the right fit. Same profile same release just has a click for the clicker version. The most adjustable I have found out of them all. Gets you a tru custom fit. Can be curved 2,3,4 ect. All the thumb button adjustability you want. About the same neck length as the carter wise choice. I shot the Perfex (Onnex predecessor) and the Onnex for awhile before changing to the Too Simple.

If I was to buy one starting out and had not been able to try the others I would buy the Stan Onnex clicker/regular. Mostly because it's the best value for customization and it has an amazing trigger. For the money it offers the most ability to fit it to your hand. If the others you can try and they fit (carters are cheaper) go with them. But if you have no idea and have to buy without seeing try the stan. The UV is great, but you will pay extray for all that other stuff to adjust it and you still can't adjust it to the degree of the Stan.

dsh540

FNG
Try as many as you can! Each will settle in the hand, pinch, pull, at different spots. They will also differ on the spread of the fingers, like how far you fingers are separated in the handle shape. This is what made a release comfortable to me. Also the thickness of the finger grooves. Will you shoot with gloves?? The size of the groove and spread profile will mess with that. Some are straight profile and others are curved. Some can do both. Try as many as you can. I have tried so many and wasted money buying and selling trying to find the right profile. Also pay attention to the neck length. Some are short some are long, it matters because it's going to change your draw length and where you anchor. I don't use a thumb anymore (shot it for 1.5 years or so), went back to an index, but I experimented with many when finding a thumb. Also, how it attaches to the D loop, can be important, especially if hunting. All the ones you have mentioned have the ability to hang it on the D loop either with a spring (UV/STAN) or how it loads the trigger (carter). Also do you want a lanyard? Some people are afraid of loosing them in the woods...a lanyard prevents that, but then you can't just hook it to the string and leave it there. Part of what I wanted was to clip it to the string and then still do other things with my hands (eat, bino/range stuff), but you risk losing them....(which sucks when drop $300 and lose it in the woods). Handheld releases are heavier than the index versions, so when they are hooked to a lanyard and then your wrist it can clang and dangle....not the best when climbing stands or messing with crap....

Nock on "Nock too It" is just a Nock on branded custom edition of the carter wise choice. It's a wise choice profile and trigger in a 2 finger version in custom colors. So if you don't want the 2 finger or don't care about getting the green color, you can buy the wise choice and it's the same release.

I have used Carters, Stan mostly. Shot a tru ball blade as well (it's pretty good, the flex version is more adjustable). I shot the UV at the shop.

My top choices:

Carter too simple: Was my main release for a long time. It has the shortest neck so it didn't change my draw length. Great trigger. Only comes in a 3 or 4 finger and has limited barrel adjustment. It's also only straight profile and only one size. Most carters are one size.

Carter wise choice: Like the too simple but longer neck. Has the circle finger whole for the first finger if you like that. It change my draw length by about 1/8-1/4 and so I sold it. Comes in 3 or 4 finger straight profile only.

UV Button: loved the profile, great trigger, pretty adjustable. IT'S by far the longest neck length handheld I have found. When compared to my too simple from Carter it lengthed my draw length by 3/4 of inch easily. This is why I chose not to use it.

Stan Onnex, both the clicker and regular: Can order in multiple sizes sm-xl, so you can really find the right fit. Same profile same release just has a click for the clicker version. The most adjustable I have found out of them all. Gets you a tru custom fit. Can be curved 2,3,4 ect. All the thumb button adjustability you want. About the same neck length as the carter wise choice. I shot the Perfex (Onnex predecessor) and the Onnex for awhile before changing to the Too Simple.

If I was to buy one starting out and had not been able to try the others I would buy the Stan Onnex clicker/regular. Mostly because it's the best value for customization and it has an amazing trigger. For the money it offers the most ability to fit it to your hand. If the others you can try and they fit (carters are cheaper) go with them. But if you have no idea and have to buy without seeing try the stan. The UV is great, but you will pay extray for all that other stuff to adjust it and you still can't adjust it to the degree of the Stan.

That is my only complaint about the UV is the neck length. I think I am closer to a 27.5"-28" DL but I am shooting 27" currently due to the longer neck on the release.

Luked

WKR
I have a Carter Wise choice.
Have used the Nock To It also and didnt like the 2 finger thing.
So got the Wise Choice.
I am really struggling with the wise choice.
Have shot an index for years and years and really hard to get used to the Thumb Button.

tdoublev

FNG
I love my Nock2it. Switched from an index and won’t be looking back. I bought a Stan Onnex Clicker to try out and hated it. Immediately returned. I despise any releases that are ‘tedious’ to attach to the d loop. My Nock2it and most Carter releases, I just load the trigger (press a button) and the jaw locks shut onto the d loop. The Stan makes you hold the jaw open with your hand, slide the d loop through, and then it locks on. Suppose you can angle it just right so it attaches easier but I wasn’t going to bother to find out. That’s my deal breaker for a lot of releases

Hold the jaw open with your hand and slide it onto the D loop? Mate, you've got some wires crossed regarding how to attach a Stan Clicker to your D loop. If the release is cocked you literally run the D loop through the jaw and it grabs it fine. It takes less effort than a Nock 2 It or a Wise Choice.

Either way, use what makes you happy and you're accurate with.

The only thumb button I've used so far and really enjoyed is the Stan Clicker and I may hunt this coming rut with it. Overall I consider myself a hinge person but there's just something tempting about being able to run a buttomn in higher pressure situations that makes me keen for it.

Ive been using the wiseguy for I dont even know how long now. 10 years + maybe. The only handheld thats come close to unseating it is the whipper snapper. And Ive used, many, many different ones. I dont really need a release to have 18 different adjustment options. The whipper snapper is simple as it gets and reliable. Ive got 4 wiseguys and 2 whipper snappers and have never had an issue with any of them.

I still prefer the wiseguy, but over the next few months of practicing and 3d I may leave the wiseguys at home and force myself to use the whipper snapper. Id say the neck length on the whipper snapper might be the perfect length for someone who switches between index and handheld releases. Releases like the UV button had necks entirely too long, the carter releases feel a bit too short. The whipper snapper is goldilocks.

Shawn s

FNG
I have used the nock2 it and ultra view you wouldn’t go wrong with either one you choose. the ultra view you might have to shorten your draw length because neck is a little long compared to most

Haven't directly compared, but if I'm thinking correctly, the length is similar, maybe slightly different hook placement.

I'll post pictures with length from finger beds.

Approximately 1 3/8" from finger bed to loop.

20240305_161453.jpg20240305_161646.jpg20240305_161655.jpg20240305_161954.jpg20240305_162206.jpg

Using screw plumb on the edge of the board, then clipping release to it. Traced finger beds and measured. Screw is 1/8". So it's 1 1/4" from the back of the screw, add another 1/8 puts it right around 1 3/8 from hook to finger beds, with hook pretty well centered between pointer/index and middle finger.

To elaborate a little on how I shoot it, I choke up on it pretty good. I generally use a little longer Draw Length on my hunting bow, and it's a shorter ATA which needs longer DL to hit my nose same as my longer ATA target bows. I shorten the loop, choke up on the release compared to my target setups. Currently mainly using B3 Versa for target, also an Infinity (hinge) that I built up to give same dimensions as the Versa. I shoot them both further down my finger beds then I do the Whipper Snapper. They are craddled in my middle finger beds, whereas the whipper snapper I hold in my fist, if that makes sense.

Attachments

• 20240305_161655.jpg
    20240305_161655.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Approximately 1 3/8" from finger bed to loop.

View attachment 683093View attachment 683094View attachment 683095View attachment 683096View attachment 683097

Using screw plumb on the edge of the board, then clipping release to it. Traced finger beds and measured. Screw is 1/8". So it's 1 1/4" from the back of the screw, add another 1/8 puts it right around 1 3/8 from hook to finger beds, with hook pretty well centered between pointer/index and middle finger.

To elaborate a little on how I shoot it, I choke up on it pretty good. I generally use a little longer Draw Length on my hunting bow, and it's a shorter ATA which needs longer DL to hit my nose same as my longer ATA target bows. I shorten the loop, choke up on the release compared to my target setups. Currently mainly using B3 Versa for target, also an Infinity (hinge) that I built up to give same dimensions as the Versa. I shoot them both further down my finger beds then I do the Whipper Snapper. They are craddled in my middle finger beds, whereas the whipper snapper I hold in my fist, if that makes sense.
Awesome thanks so much.

Had the ultraview, but I could hear the spring compress while I was anchored. I didn't like hearing it, as I was beginning to anticipate the shot due to the noise. I don't think happens to all of them though- many people never experience this.

I know have a truball goat, Nock2it and Carter Wise choice. The goat feels very different from the other 2. I prefer the feel of the carter releases in my hand, but I think I shoot more consistently with the goat. Just gotta try a bunch and see what works.