Buying gun on rokslide without pay pal

neverquit

WKR
I’ve made hundereds of transactions for items with pay pal thu out classifieds section. I know that pay pal will not protect you with a gun purchase. Normal it’s a small amount and ever transaction I’ve has has been great. But I m eyeballing a rifle that $2500.

What do most people do??

Apollo117

WKR
I bought a rifle with a cashier's check through my bank. That way nobody could steal my account info and the bank (maybe) would have helped me get my money back.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d say ask for some references. I know I’ve got friends here I have hunted with and/or known for many years that I trust to lend and use much more expensive items than $2500 that would vouch for me to do the same that I could provide if in that situation. That would give me some confidence.

Send your check or money order to the FFL and let him/her give payment to seller after looking over the firearm? Also possible small tip or gift card in addition for FFL for their assistance?

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
The very best way to purchase firearm is with a US Postal money order made out to seller. All transactions are required to process thru his FFL or your FFL as ship to address. USPS money order is the only safe payment as many cashiers checks can be faked. USPS money order is backed by federal mail fraud charges if anything goes wrong.

Btaylor

WKR
The very best way to purchase firearm is with a US Postal money order made out to seller. All transactions are required to process thru his FFL or your FFL as ship to address. USPS money order is the only safe payment as many cashiers checks can be faked. USPS money order is backed by federal mail fraud charges if anything goes wrong.

Thats great if they dont lose it. My office recently got a piece of mail back returned as undeliverable. It was an account statement from 1979.

geebee

Lil-Rokslider
I think there are some escrow type services out there to confirm payment but not release payment until item has been received.

randman

FNG
Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread
o.png

Gobbler36

WKR
I’m dealing with thus right now from battleguy on a tikka 300 win mag
He wont do PayPal just money order and wants payment before he sends the gun, no way in hell am I doing that so I dont know how to proceed? Especially when I see the same gun on a different site from a different user name and in different part of the country

Bulldawg

WKR
Considering PayPal is instant, you could have him take the rifle to the FFL, and when the dealer says he has the gun and is going to sit you could send over the money, he'd receive it right there and then the guy at the business ships it.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
The only way that I see it safe for the buyer if the seller is unknow to them is to get a 3rd party FFL in the town and state of the seller to oversee the transaction at a cost. The FFL would receive the buyers check and the seller would have agree to let the FFL inspect the firearm on the buyers behalf before he handed over the sellers Cashier check. Once that was completed the FFL would then mail the firearm to the buyers FFL in his state for buyer to go through the Brady check and receive said firearm. The problem might be finding the right FFL dealer to hassle with it due to liability.
I am an FFL in Reno and do a lot of business on Gunbroker but even before I became an FFL I bought guns on Gunbroker. Gunbroker is like eBay though and you can see sellers and buyer feedback before you send your money off for your purchase. As a seller I will only take USPS money orders or cashiers checks and only ship to the buyers FFL after they had cleared. Unless you have some sort of feedback to look at though you are taking a big chance with fraud. As a seller I would never take Paypal because the buyer could receive the firearm and then dispute something with PP and that would be a can of worms.

WOOD5045

FNG
Adam,

You may wanna do a search on the seller. If I recall correctly, there was some chatter recently about about the legitimately of his sales.