Buying my first Tikka, what to upgrade first?

Good morning!

I'm buying my first Tikka in 6.5cm within the next month or so. This will be my dedicated mountain deer rifle so keep that in mind. I think I have my scope picked out and I already started buying a few boxes of ammo to see what the gun likes.

My question is, what are the first upgrades you would do to this rifle? Limbsaver pad? Bottom metal? Save for an aftermarket stock?

Let me know what you think! I can't wait to get my hands on this gun and start sending rounds down range.

NSI

WKR
Few options here. Thread for suppressor, buy suppressor, buy a stocky's VG stock, install a YoDave trigger spring...

-J

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Good scope and rings first, if you are worried about weight then modify the factory stock to raise the recoil pad. It’s probably worth it to go with the Limbsaver pad even and then add the vertical grip. If you aren’t so worried about weight the krg bravo is well worth it.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I might have the contrary opinion here, but why not get the rifle and shoot it plenty as it is with different ammo and see if you need a ton of aftermarket stuff. I realize it’s exciting to buy a lot of things to modify the gun. I also realize that a lot of people add completely unnecessary items to a rifle .

The perceived recoil will tell you if you need an aftermarket stock, recoil pad and/or suppressor. The perceived weight may also push you to decide to change things or not. I think you need to get familiar with this stock rifle first and foremost.

I have a bone stock Tikka Super Light in 7MM-08 and it is as accurate as most folks will need with zero mods.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
f455dc0f-3ac6-4024-8a1f-e94fce36bd7f_text.gif

But also threads and a silencer

nobody

WKR
Reliable Scope, solid rings, vertical grip, limbsaver pad, in that order. Go fill tags.

What scope and rings did you buy/pick out already?

OP
CjMelendrez
Looking at Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 or VX-3HD 4.5-14x40. not sure on rings yet.. heard good things about the DNZ Game reaper mounts.

And I'll keep that in mind on the trigger spring!

nobody

WKR
Looking at Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 or VX-3HD 4.5-14x40. not sure on rings yet.. heard good things about the DNZ Game reaper mounts.

And I'll keep that in mind on the trigger spring!
Man, we really are about to burst your bubble.

Most of us would vehemently agree that neither one of those are reliable optics for your application. A scope has one job: steer bullet to target. The Leupold VX series of scopes are some of the worst performers in that regard. They are known for tracking issues, and losing zero from small bumps and knocks.

Might I suggest some light reading:

https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

Buy the supplies to build yourself what's known as a "Rokslide Special"

• Tikka T3x Stainless in 6.5 Creed
  • Vertical Grip
  • Sportsmatch TO84 Rings (Or a Picatinny rail and Seekins Precision/Nightforce Rings)
  • Nightforce, Trijicon, or an SWFA Optic

It's the easy button.