Cabelas by Meindl?

HiRidge

FNG
The older ones that were made in Germany were some of the "best" in my opinion. I've got an older pair of Meindl Denali's that I wouldn't trade for anything. Since the merge of Cabela's with Bass pro I'd probably stay away.

BadDogPSD

WKR
I was reading somewhere, can't recall where, that they were being discontinued. But they used to be pretty good.

wseidel

WKR
The Meindl models made in Germany - Perfekt Hunter, Perfekt Hiker (among others) - are the best boots I've found. Granted I haven't tried many of the brands discussed on Rokslide (Lowa, Crispi, etc.) but I haven't needed to because the Cabela's Meindl models worked "perfectly" for me...pun intended. It is unfortunate that they appear to be discontinued now at Cabela's. I started a thread about this when I first discovered it in the fall AND immediately found another pair of Perfect Hunters for the future after my current pair eventually wear out. Hope this helps...

Bulldawg

WKR
It’s really funny to see some folks reactions and thoughts about how things are ran when it comes to making these boots. Because the way people think it is is totally wrong

So there was only one model of meindls that were made in Asia.

Their boots are pretty good, the denalis are one of the more comfortable pair of boots out there. There used to be some others that were pretty awesome. But to me from what I can read from looking at the Cabela’s website they are probably going not going forward with the meindl line. Bad news for the guys that really like the boots. But I bet that somebody else will bring them to market and you’ll be able to get what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read about the Perfekt Hunters and Hikers being discontinued a couple months ago. Since I wear both and they are a perfect fit for my foot, I wanted one more pair of Hikers (I'm covered with Hunters for about the next decade). When I was in Reno in January (SCI) I headed over to Cabelas and they had both on display. The shoe guy didn't know anything about them being discontinued, and went and got me a pair of size 13D Hikers. They fit like they always fit, and I could wear them all day, right away, as usual. They did change them slightly...the leather is now pre-waxed so it is dark brown instead of light brown, and at least on my pair of 13s, the Vibram sole appears to be very slightly different, maybe more aggressive (13s always did have a different Vibram than the smaller sizes) than my old pairs. Stitching, lacing, height, etc is still identical.

My guess is they changed the Perfekt line enough that they may have a new stock code and that is why people believe they are discontinued? I like the new version even better than the version I've worn for 20 years or more...and they are still made in Germany like they always have been.

And as far as wear goes, they wear as well as any other top quality boot with a similar Vibram sole and rand....a lot of years, miles and hunts in my experience, and they happen to fit my narrow, bony heel and wider front foot very well.

I still have a pair of cabelas Alaskans (meindl) that have outlasted several others of equal or greater value.

They had a cheaper line that was made somewhere in Asia, but even those got pretty good reviews. Comparable to danner pronghorns. Their German made boots were every bit as good as anything else though.... pending they fit you well

lak2004

WKR
At one time they were the best boots I had ever owned, but after 4 seasons on them, they were destroyed and their replacement model SUCKED! I then tried Hanwag, Lowa and Kennetreks before settling on Crispi Dakotas. Try before you buy and when you do, get to the store immediately put on the ones you want to try and walk all around for as long as possible.

I've never seen any difference in the Meindl Perfekt Hunter or Hiker (Cabelas) boots over the past 20 years (probably 5 pairs of each) until this winter. And the new Hikers have a deeper Vibram sole with pre-treated (waxed) leather, but fit the same. See my comments a few posts above. I certainly not experienced quality drop off that others have reported???

K

Kootenay Hunter

Enjoy my Perfekt hikers. Comfy fit, waterproof, minimal break in required, quality seems good and basically have a lifetime warranty. I'd expect them to last several years with proper care and maintenance. They are also made in Germany.

I've had 3 pairs of Perfekt Light Hikers. They fit my foot perfectly has long as I size down one full size and get a EE. I had a lug come unglued on the bottom and my last pair leaked. Both times, Cabela's swapped me for a new pair. These were all made in Italy.

Last edited:

Jkling12

FNG
I have a pair that i love. Extremely comfortable right out of the box. Mine are made in Germany. With the merger of bass pro i would personally try something else. I just don't like the direction they're going with their gear seeming cheaper. If you needed a replacement pair they may not be the same quality. My next pair with be crispi or kenetrek.

Jethro

WKR
Perfekts are all I've worn for years. The Hikers and Hunters. Very comfortable. Preferred them over my Lowas. A year or so ago some changes were made to the leather and tread, but still good boots. Always made in Germany. When the threads came out on here about discontinuing, I contacted Cabelas and it was true. Perfekt line being discontinued. I did not ask about the other models. Would be nice if somebody would start selling them again. Have a pair on my feet right now.

TBarron

WKR
Dude don’t do it. Bought the Denali’s and wore them on a Kodiak goat hunt and they leaked. Had water logged feet the whole time and was miserable. Took them back wet to Cabelas and swapped them out for some Kenetreks.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I have worn Meindl Alaska Hunters for years (I am on my 3rd set now). They fit me well and are a quality heavier duty boot. I think they are essentially equal to Kennetreks or Lowas, it all comes down to how they fit your foot. My brothers wear Denalis and Perfekts and both like those models as well. I wore the ibex hunters for a long time as a lighter boot, but it has been quite a few years since I have had these and I don't even know if they make them anymore.
I will be disappointed if Cabela's drops the Meindl line.

Jethro

WKR
I sent some questions to Meindl and they replied that they are currently working on there US operation and hope to have it going late spring. They will have models that are comfort fit technology (that's what Cabelas called the Perfekts).

NoWiser

WKR
The Denalis are the best boots I ever put my feet into. I'm on my second pair. I've been saying that I should buy a spare pair in case they ever stop making them, but it looks like I'm too late. A number of family/friends have tried them and none of them liked the boots, but for me, it's like heaven slipping my foot into them. Hopefully they come back somewhere else because I don't know if I'll ever find a boot my feet like as much.

I guess i didnt know about any of them being d discontinued. Ive worn the alaskan hunters for quite a few years now. My current pair has 2 seasons on them and is my 3rd pair over the years. These ones are made in germany too and I've not seen a dip in quality.

They have been the most comfortable boots I’ve ever put on right out of the box. Never had any problems with traction or climbing (some guys on another board said they weren’t stiff enough for good traction on steep ground, but I haven’t found that to be true.). My big issue was the first pair leaked bad after about a year and a half. But cabelas traded them out for a new pair, no problem. With the buyout of Cabelas by BP, I’m not sure I’d be able to convince them to do that again...

Bulldawg

WKR
The Denalis are the best boots I ever put my feet into. I'm on my second pair. I've been saying that I should buy a spare pair in case they ever stop making them, but it looks like I'm too late. A number of family/friends have tried them and none of them liked the boots, but for me, it's like heaven slipping my foot into them. Hopefully they come back somewhere else because I don't know if I'll ever find a boot my feet like as much.

What size are you? I have a brand new pair size 12 I am trying to sell. In the box