Cabelas Viper HD 10X42 Black Friday Sale

I've used one pair of Vipers or another for the past 5 years glassing regularly and for longer periods. There is no eye strain or headache for me. 10x42's or 12x50's.

Have you experienced that with the Vipers?

As far as BK4's resolving better, is that based on experience also?

JGRaider

WKR
Several have mentioned the FOV of these Black Friday Vipers. Given this is a 10x42, 319' is still competitive, and a huge win if it is 340" as in the above pic. I"m not a big Vortex fan, but the Viper HD's at $300 is a great deal on a serviceable binocular.

Several have mentioned the FOV of these Black Friday Vipers. Given this is a 10x42, 319' is still competitive, and a huge win if it is 340" as in the above pic. I"m not a big Vortex fan, but the Viper HD's at $300 is a great deal on a serviceable binocular.
True on that!

Lol, I'm stopping by Bass pro here in just a little bit, maybe pick up another pair. Assuming they are the Philippines with the 340' fov. Pass the 319' fov down to my boys.

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it looks like I didn’t read the fine print either. I ordered first thing this morning and didn’t notice the field of view nor did I know there was a difference. That’s what I get for not researching. I did indeed order the sale price item with 419’ fov.
Well I’m thinking my teenage son will still enjoy these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a great pair of binoculars! Bigger field of view is nice however it's still over a hundred yards side to side with either pair.

Birddog1

FNG
I just ordered a pair of these. I’ll compare to my Leupold BX-4 when I get them.

I just ordered a pair of these. I’ll compare to my Leupold BX-4 when I get them.
Hey thanks for that, I'm very interested. I've used nothing but Leupold scopes for 25+ yrs, definitely trust the brand and they are bomb proof.

I compared the Vortex Vipers to Leupold and other brands in that price range when I worked at a Cabela's in the hunting department. Felt they were optically very good and with respect to the 12x50s that I've used the most, I like the slightly larger size in my hand as it seems to be steadier for my big hands.

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider

I will also do the same. I have the bx-4 in 8-32 and 12x50 and curious to how they do. Not exactly apples to apples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birddog1

FNG
Hey thanks for that, I'm very interested. I've used nothing but Leupold scopes for 25+ yrs, definitely trust the brand and they are bomb proof.

I compared the Vortex Vipers to Leupold and other brands in that price range when I worked at a Cabela's in the hunting department. Felt they were optically very good and with respect to the 12x50s that I've used the most, I like the slightly larger size in my hand as it seems to be steadier for my big hands.
I’ve never had Vortex scopes, I lean towards Leupold or Burris. I dropped my Kahles binos from my treestand a few weeks ago which has necessitated getting a new pair. So far I’ve tried to Leupold BX-4 which I kept, Athlon Cronus G2 and Maven C.1, all 10x42. For $299 I’m curious to see how the Vortex compares.

When you factor in Active Junky 14% off and buy gift cards online somewhere I think this is hard to beat for the price today on new binos. I picked these Vipers up under $250 after tax and for 341 FOV made in the Phillipines that’s not bad! I hope the box is true.

Last edited:
When you factor in Active Junky 14% off and buy gift cards online somewhere I think this is hard to beat. Could get the vipers under $250 after tax and for 341 FOV made in the Phillipines that’s not bad!
I checked Cabela's and Bass pro website, looked up the specs for the sale binoculars. They specifically show 319-ft field of view.

Looks like someone got a new Gen pair when they went in person (salesperson probably didn't know the difference) by the specs on the box they posted, but the specs if you order them show clearly 319 fov.

I checked Cabela's and Bass pro website, looked up the specs for the sale binoculars. They specifically show 319-ft field of view.

Looks like someone got a new Gen pair when they went in person (salesperson probably didn't know the difference) by the specs on the box they posted, but the specs if you order them show clearly 319 fov.
You are correct! I should have clarified as my response was confusing as I got a pair and they are 341 FOV Phillipines on the box but online it says the specs you are mentioning.

Lol, I am sure the salesperson doesn't know there's a difference. I was re-researching and happened to catch that difference last fall after I bought the sale pair, then Vortex confirmed it.

Lol, I am sure the salesperson doesn't know there's a difference. I was re-researching and happened to catch that difference last fall after I bought the sale pair, then Vortex confirmed it.
Interesting what’s also weird is this one doesn’t have the glasspak so who knows. I like the idea of Vortex making these in the Philippines though.

Yes, correct on the glass pack. Vortex said the sale models did not come with that and I can understand it saves a few dollars.

The Vortex rep offered to send me one. I turned him down, I already have a Vortex harness that works fine and not sold on the glass pack being convenient or not bulky.

For what it's worth, my 12x50 Vipers bought in 2015 were made in Japan. The 10x42's from the sale as has been said are made in China. I alternated days carrying them in the field during 2nd elk season in Colorado a few weeks ago. Wanted to get a back-to-back comparison and the 10x42's we every bit the match for the 12x50's.

Essentially, during the day or at the end of the day I couldn't tell you there was a difference other than higher magnification for the 12x50's and wider FOV for the 10x42's.

Since these were likely made in the same production run as mine from fall 2020 (a few thousand pairs as per Vortex), I can recommend the current sale lot of 10x42's based on my comparison regardless of where they were made as it relates to the pair I have. YOMV (O=opinion).

Birddog1

FNG
My Vipers arrived today. Happy to say mine are the 341’ FOV and made in the Philippines model. I haven’t played around with them too much but I sat outside with the Viper and BX-4 binos. The Leupold seem to have better edge to edge clarity but for $299 I don’t think I’ll complain. The Vipers also came with black cordura case and strap.

Hey that's great they arrived, and thanks for the opinion on the view through the two different pairs.

Lol, now I'm wondering if they just reused the ad from previous sales and didn't update the specs.

Alrighty, took the plunge. Based on what you guys have bought in the store and got delivered when you ordered, I pulled the trigger on a pair just now.

Keep you posted as to which ones show up!

Last edited: