Cabin build

kipper09

WKR
So this isn’t exactly a normal topic or discussion but I have decided to build a camp/cabin this upcoming spring. I found some property that we like and we are going to make this dream a reality. I just wanted some input on how big we should build it. It’s about 40 minutes from home and I’m hoping/planning we use it a lot. It’s close enough we can even go to work and stay there. There’s me the woman and we have 2 kids ages 5 and 8. There’s a chance of another as well. I plan to go up and stay a night a week or so or maybe a 3 day weekend once a month, Just anytime we can get away from the rat race of life and cell phones. I grew up basically in the mountains where it’s at because it’s where my grandparents came from and want my kids to have the same experiences I did, as I don’t think most get that anymore. I want to make sure it’s big enough for the family but don’t want it to get out of control. We are going to finish it out nice as we plan to maybe retire there if we split time between here and somewhere south. Really think we want a loft because it seems like cheap footage for living space. My gut is leaning towards 30x30 with a 13x16 loft or 32x24 with loft but after thinking about that some I’m thinking those are too big. Just curious if anybody had some input on what would be a good size for the family. Appreciate any help fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1100 sq. ft. seems like a pretty big cabin to me. That's just a little less than 200 sq. ft. smaller than my first house that I started my family in, and lived in for 13 years. That said, it seems like you never build something, than say to yourself, "I wish I would have made it smaller". We have a little cabin that's approx. 800 sq. ft., and feels perfect for a family of 4, but when you pack 7-8 people in there for a few days, it does start feeling pretty cramped.

Last edited:
Most of the cabins I use are between 200-300 sq ft. Sometimes less! Spend a whole month with the wife and kid in one that was 150 sq ft.

1100 sq ft. seems huge to me. Guess it depends on how much time you might spend inside with the kids.

My current one I own is 12x20’. I’ve spent many nights in the 16x20’ my grandpa built. Neither has a loft. We use them as more base camps for outside activities, so that helps, but they also aren’t oversized.

Size for many Alaska cabins is often dictated by the distance from the road system (supply movement), and you may just not have that factor.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I think I have found a couple that will work. After some thought I agree that 30x30 is way too big with a loft. I found a couple that I’m thinking will work that are 26x22 and 28x22. I will attach and you guys see what ya think.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Our family cabin is 600 sq ft. And it’s perfect. If we had a loft, it’d certainly add some sleeping space for a few more folks and that would be pretty sweet. But for 4-5 of us. It’s the perfect amount of space. Queen bed for 2, and a couch with a pullout for two more. Then there room on the floor for shoot, probably 4 more if we HAD too.

But a weekend with 6 people up there isn’t too cramped. As for the loft, you won’t regret it! And in the world yet you can use it as storage space for your summer toys you don’t want left outside!

It’s one of my favorite places in the world! Enjoy your build!!

b9b88cf354fae6c576e1dbc788d51acb.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
Checkout Sand Creek Post and Beam Cabin series, I just bought 4acres in the mountains and will be building on it in the next 5years or so. Only my land is 9hrs from home.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
One question I have is if anybody is a contractor or would know. If the depth is say 22’ and we put a 10/12 or 12/12 pitch door on it how wide would the loft be? 12 feet?

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 1000 sq foot A frame. In the loft I have a full size and 4 twin beds.
The sofa is a pullout queen.
I’ve had as many as 10 people and was OK
Having it that close to home is huge. My place is 4.5 hours away

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wow congratulations!!!

Anything will work as long as you can get out there !!! Lol

But all jesting aside. Build it as you must financially right now. In your process, I’d be more inclined to use or pour a bigger slab. Why ? Maybe as time goes, you can add things on and your slab is already poured @ yesteryears (today’s price).

My point is, simply think forward instead of thinking how much you can bite off right now.

I had 1 experience of such building in the deep woods. Friend of my pops bought extensive acreage in the Berkshire mountains. He was a carpenter by trade, built condos and sold them for a living.

What he did I thought was ingenious. He poured a slab, a bid one too. First thing he built ??? A garage ! Stowed things there, hung deer, used the wood stove to stay warm. As time went, he built an upstairs. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath. Height was great for views. Soon after, he extended onto the 2/1 and made it 5/2, huge living room with picturesque views and a drive under carport next to the garage. Electric came next, which was costly and it ended up being much nicer than his in town home.

Before he passed away, he sold it all for several million, with I believe 900 acres ?

I must say, he simply added here and there. We laughed @ the garage idea, but it was a place to secure his base.

One question I have is if anybody is a contractor or would know. If the depth is say 22’ and we put a 10/12 or 12/12 pitch door on it how wide would the loft be? 12 feet?

12/12 pitch will give you about 10ft wide living area with ceiling heights of 5+ ft. 10/12 would be about 8ft.
The lower ceiling areas along the sides can be used for storage.

Wow congratulations!!!

Anything will work as long as you can get out there !!! Lol

But all jesting aside. Build it as you must financially right now. In your process, I’d be more inclined to use or pour a bigger slab. Why ? Maybe as time goes, you can add things on and your slab is already poured @ yesteryears (today’s price).

My point is, simply think forward instead of thinking how much you can bite off right now.

I had 1 experience of such building in the deep woods. Friend of my pops bought extensive acreage in the Berkshire mountains. He was a carpenter by trade, built condos and sold them for a living.

What he did I thought was ingenious. He poured a slab, a bid one too. First thing he built ??? A garage ! Stowed things there, hung deer, used the wood stove to stay warm. As time went, he built an upstairs. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath. Height was great for views. Soon after, he extended onto the 2/1 and made it 5/2, huge living room with picturesque views and a drive under carport next to the garage. Electric came next, which was costly and it ended up being much nicer than his in town home.

Before he passed away, he sold it all for several million, with I believe 900 acres ?

I must say, he simply added here and there. We laughed @ the garage idea, but it was a place to secure his base.

My sisters want me to go in with them and build a property in the mountains. I told them if we do, the first thing to get built will be a garage or out building so we have somewhere to secure tools and materials and to sleep while I build it.

I'm a contractor and always recommend to build in 8' increments example 24x32 as all your sheet goods and building materials come this way so you have way less waste.

Cabin to me would be more like 16x20. Nice and cozy

24x24 gambrel roof 2 car garage with apartment upstairs. Something like THIS
Smart start....we did one similar for a customer a couple years ago...he's finishing it out while we work on the main house:

For a family getaway cabin, how about something like this? Perfect for south-facing view or lake lot, stairs lead to large sleeping loft, could be partitioned to make 2 small rooms...porch could be enclosed for mudroom/fishing/ski gear room...super easy to frame up:
122681ou

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Smart start....we did one similar for a customer a couple years ago...he's finishing it out while we work on the main house:

View attachment 122677

For a family getaway cabin, how about something like this? Perfect for south-facing view or lake lot, stairs lead to large sleeping loft, could be partitioned to make 2 small rooms...porch could be enclosed for mudroom/fishing/ski gear room...super easy to frame up:
View attachment 122681ou

Wow I really like that layout. I appreciate the drawing and idea