Caliber Crystal Ball - Can you predict the future?

0.277 might be a little too fuddy for hornady go 270PRC on.

25s are getting a lot of attention in the competition world lately and Hornady makes a quarter bore ELDm. 0.277 is still getting basically zero attention in the competition world and neither hornady or berger make a 0.277 match bullet. They'd have to make 0.277 bullets with a higher BC than current 6.5 bullets to attract enough attention and they'd still have to compete with the 7mm bullets that are only slightly heavier. Possible but doesn't seem likely.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
0.277 might be a little too fuddy for hornady go 270PRC on.

25s are getting a lot of attention in the competition world lately and Hornady makes a quarter bore ELDm. 0.277 is still getting basically zero attention in the competition world and neither hornady or berger make a 0.277 match bullet. They'd have to make 0.277 bullets with a higher BC than current 6.5 bullets to attract enough attention and they'd still have to compete with the 7mm bullets that are only slightly heavier. Possible but doesn't seem likely.
I agree the .25 is more likely and a better fit for commercial success. Selfishly I just want a cartridge for hunting similar to 6.8 Western’s ballistics but with better factory rifle and ammo support and hopefully staying power.

I agree the .25 is more likely and a better fit for commercial success. Selfishly I just want a cartridge for hunting similar to 6.8 Western’s ballistics but with better factory rifle and ammo support and hopefully staying power.

It's sandwiched right between 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC and comparable to 7 rm. Seems any of the 3 will do what is asked of them.

amassi

WKR

Just let .277 lay down and die
It has zero value other than nostalgia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider

I have no affinity for the .277. I’m just looking for my Goldilocks western hunting cartridge and it would mimic the 6.8 W’s ballistics but in a short action 7mm. Similar to a 7 SAUM or 7-6.5 PRC but with all the rifle and ammo offerings of something more mainstream.

amassi

WKR
I have no affinity for the .277. I’m just looking for my Goldilocks western hunting cartridge and it would mimic the 6.8 W’s ballistics but in a short action 7mm. Similar to a 7 SAUM or 7-6.5 PRC but with all the rifle and ammo offerings of something more mainstream.

What metric isn’t being met with the 6.5 prc that the 6.8 w does better?
What range does that matter
How often are you engaging critters at that range
If you want a short action 7mm then get a 7-08.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider

Bullet weight

Bluefish

WKR
as someone who is in the Midwest, all my recent rifle purchases save one have been for 35 cal or larger. I think a true long range high bc 35 cal bullet in the 180-200g range would be well received. Right now you have to go really heavy ie 250g+ to get a decent bc and at any reasonable speed that’s a lot of recoil.
not sure the 8.6 will go anywhere as there are other subsonic rounds that can be made heavier and it’s limited to the are 10 platform. Big subsonic rounds are pretty cool, I am trying a 500g 45-70 this year. Recoil is quite manageable when it’s slowed down.

Choupique

WKR
I just hope .338 win mag comes back en vogue (yea right). I really hate that I can't get .338 win mag ammo from PPU/fiochi/etc who make good affordable deer ammo.

.338 win mag seems to have gone the way of the dodo since covid. I'm sure the other belted mags are soon to follow. None of them are terribly well designed to start with, but man I like my .338 win mag and I wish factory ammo was plentiful and cheap again

Unckebob

WKR

The 6.8W with a 165g bullet is nearly 200 fps faster than a 7mm-08 with a 150g bullet.

amassi

WKR
The 6.8W with a 165g bullet is nearly 200 fps faster than a 7mm-08 with a 150g bullet.

So what?
How many animals are you shooting past 880 yards?

The 6.8 w stays to 1800 fps to 1k. So you e got a whole 120 yards more upset range.

You use it?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

270 win 130 sst - 1800 fps at bout 850 with a 24"
6.5 prc 147 eldm - 1800 fps at bout 825 with a 20"

This is the same......

but your not wrong.

amassi

WKR
At 5000 ft I get drastically different numbers
What velocity did you start the prc at 2700?

Choupique

WKR
There's no need for anything other than .22 lr, .223, .300 prc 375 h&h, and .458 win mag to hunt anything anywhere and even that many is debatable.

I think brass case centerfire cartridges are at the pinnacle with the latest batch of PRC stuff. Those rounds were all worked up with CAD and basically perfectly designed within what a normal brass case can handle. The next leap is going to have to be something stainless steel cased or 2 piece like the Fury. Powder and bullets will keep getting better.