California specific backcountry pack list

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
a few items I add to my usual gear here in Central/So Cal
(Utah/AZ mid-Sept archery deer seasons too) ;

1-sunglasses, the polarized kind with non-reflective lenses, matte finish frames. >Was on a ridgeline this past season, saw reflection flashes from below. It was 2 hunters looking up my way. one had reflective mirrored lenses. Kind of like a static sos signal.
2-uh, yeah, sunny CA....non-scented sun screen.
3-face paint for sure. too warm for face cover. that sun will reflect off your face like a light bulb. Couple stripes over the cheeks will do ya.
4-Turtle Skin brand snake gaiters. in outings over past years, Been struck 2x by rattlers on my stalks. Have avoided most of those camo Crotalinae! However, Buzz worms don't always buzz. Good thing for up to knee height snake protection.
5-2oz spray bottle of insect repellent, Permethrin type. not for skin use but retreat pant cuffs.
6-ziplock with a few non-scented wipes, reduce that sweat odor few times a day.

OP
Blacktail_Packer
I hope your some kind of freaky snake magnet. I used to worry about em a lot and had a pair of snake gaiters but gave up on them after 2 seasons. I honestly can’t remember the last time I snuck up on one...

A wilderness first aid class and or emergency beacon and or some survival training would be smart - ICE. I can link you up with some classes near you if you DM me. I hunt the shi%4 out of b zone all backpack. You'll only dial your list in by doing it so the more backpack trips the better...im a backcountry guide and still change my gear list after almost every trip. don't break the bank if its going to cut you down on time in the field, and car camping is better than backpack camping if you can hunt more effectively vs being so smashed and beat (just saying it happens to a lot of guys), and the more skills you have the less gear you need which = a light enough pack to get your buck out before the temps spoil a bunch of it. good luck! DM me if you are interested in my list or taking a class, I don't wanna give too much unsolicited advice here.

cgcox90

FNG
I'll second the boot recommendation for the Salomon Quest 4d GTX. They are amazing and worth the investment.