Camo or Solids? That is the question.

bigtuck

FNG
I’m probably beating a dead horse here, but I want to hear from you guys. Looking to upgrade my hunting gear and am looking at Sitka, first lite, and kuiu. Scent and stillness are key factors, but there has to be something to all these camo patterns they test and put out. My primary debate is whether to get solid colors or camo. I like the idea of being able to wear something more than just a few months out of the year, especially if as expensive as this stuff is. However, I also don’t want to get spotted easily. What do y’all think??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ac338

WKR
I rocked solid green Pranas and Fusion tops this year for whitetail hunting. Most of my baselayers are solids except a merino t and kiln hoody in Fusion. Solids for gloves, beanies and packs as well. Uncomphagre I went solid to since i love wearing that thing all fall.

What are you hunting, now and where?

Turkey with a bow you better be in camo. Undulates at rifle distance maybe not as important. I own a bunch of Sitka subalpine and first lite fusion stuff. Plenty of solids too. I mix and match. I think a pattern that breaks up outline helps. Also I tend to prefer camos that hide me from both animals and people. Not that I intend to do anything creepy but I hunt some multiuser areas and prefer to remain concealed from the hikers and bikers as well as the critters.

OP
B

bigtuck

FNG
What are you hunting, now and where?

Turkey with a bow you better be in camo. Undulates at rifle distance maybe not as important. I own a bunch of Sitka subalpine and first lite fusion stuff. Plenty of solids too. I mix and match. I think a pattern that breaks up outline helps. Also I tend to prefer camos that hide me from both animals and people. Not that I intend to do anything creepy but I hunt some multiuser areas and prefer to remain concealed from the hikers and bikers as well as the critters.

I hunt whitetail in TX and ok. Mostly tree stand. Colorado for elk, walking.

For treestand or spot & stalk Bowhunting I prefer appropriate camo as getting a few yards closer prior to being spotted can make all the difference, and anything that can provide an advantage is a plus. But for most rifle hunting situations camo is probably unnecessary, and many of the packing lists I’ve seen for mountain hunts stress that it’s not required and earth tones like grays, and drab browns and greens work just as well.

BTW - my favorite mountain hunting shirt is my Railriders Windshirt in battleship gray.

CiK01

WKR
I think movement concealment is more important than outline concealment. Hunt with what you have confidence in. I use mostly solids now, but believe ASAT helped when I failed to stay still. I am coming around to Fusion from First Lite.

jfs82

WKR
I go with whatever, I've got plenty of Kuiu verde stuff. I also have EB guide pants in solids that I wear with camo tops. Love those pants and appreciate being able to wear them not hunting. Figure out if the camo will help with what you want to hunt (Im not wearing solids for Turkey etc)

1. Playing the wind is the best camo there is. 2. Animals wear solids 3. If camo breaks up your outline, the blocky form of an orange vest ruins whatever concealment you gain from the camo 4. Environmental conditions change and we typically hunt a variety of landscapes. The camo needed for still hunting elk in dark timber looks different than what is needed for mule deer in brown sage and juniper country, or open country after a fresh snow.

Last edited:

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m split on this. I do not believe that Camo is necessary for hunting, but I don’t think it hurts you either. It can only be an enabler for just about everything but price and ability to wear the same clothing out in town as street clothes.

We all move when hunting, and I get it that movement gets you busted, but I’m guessing that the movement of a camouflaged arm generally gets noticed less easily than the movement of a solid arm.

I will mostly keep on buying Camo for turkey hunting and bow hunting, but I’m not afraid to buy solid pants, backpacks, and accessories if it’s cheaper or more convenient. IMO Camo can’t hurt, but it’s definitely over-rated.

16Bore

WKR
The $500 head to toe matching camo costumes really look nice when paired with a $5 blaze orange vest from Walmart.

What kinda of statement are we making here girls? The runways in Paris are full of the finest fashions yet we ruin our evening gown look by wearing a fake pearls.

Such a faux pas...

What would Louis Vuitton do?

Speaking of LV, both of my daughters own LV bags. They are quite nice. Purchased at Good Will, no less. I shit you not....

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
The $500 head to toe matching camo costumes really look nice when paired with a $5 blaze orange vest from Walmart.

What kinda of statement are we making here girls? The runways in Paris are full of the finest fashions yet we ruin our evening gown look by wearing a fake pearls.

Such a faux pas...

What would Louis Vuitton do?

Speaking of LV, both of my daughters own LV bags. They are quite nice. Purchased at Good Will, no less. I shit you not....
The guy asked for your opinion, not for you to bash others opinions.
I personally would say go with either solids or camo, it's personal preference, but the camo isnt going to hurt anything especially for close up encounters

16Bore

WKR
Nobody’s getting bashed, don’t get your panties in a wad.

16Bore

WKR
You just said everyone was a bunch of girls for wearing matching camo, let the people do what they want, no need to criticize

“What kinda of statement are we making here girls? The runways in Paris are full of the finest fashions yet we ruin our evening gown look by wearing a fake pearls.”

What part of “we” do you not f-n understand? Did you read my initial response? That’s the answer. The rest is how guys ridicule either other into using their f-n noodle.

Maybe I should have suggested snow camo since it’s suitable for snowflakes.

Seriously man....

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
I have both solids and camo. For deer and elk I don’t think it matters much but for turkey hunting I will try and at least wear a camo top.