Camp Axe Recommendations?

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
Needing a camp axe for limbing trees, splitting wood for the stove, general camp duties and warding off the occasional marauding griz. I definitely prefer a wood handle. Any particular makes or models you recommend? And what size/length do you prefer for those applications?

Tahoe1305

WKR

I love my gerber (actually a rebranded fiskars).

It’s not $$, light weight, durable, and I can split most wood under 12” diameter easy. Single hit halted wood without issue. Can split bigger but takes a few whacks.

17-23” I think is perfect for what you describe.

(Missed wood handle)

OP
Arcticmanak

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, I should have included that. Some truck camping, but more so going in by boat or ATV.

I am a fan of gransfors if you want style points and have $$$.

Fiskars makes Gerber’s axes and they are great And probably a much better value.

Riley Kirkpatrick in Oregon makes beautiful and hard working axes hung on wood handles if you're willing to drop the dough for one. Kirkpatrick forge.

snipe10

FNG
If you want to go deep, look for a Hoffman, expensive but handmade and solid tools. The older I get, the more I look for small production handmade things as I just like the craftsmanship. Spendy though, and I do have a Gransfor

Dented

WKR
I carry several different Granfors, love them. But there are a lot of great brands out there. GB got pricey, but Swedish and German steel is typically a solid bet. Council Tool makes some nice stuff also.

OP
Arcticmanak

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
Well, shades of heresy, but the Cold steel Trail Boss was half off on Amazon so I picked one up for $25. I'll see how it is. I'm thinking of the Husqvarna multi purpose axe or the Council Tools wood craft axe if the CS doesn't work out. Thanks for the good info and recommendations.