Can You Show Some Bucks With Known Scores?

TX_Diver

WKR
Looking to improve my field judging a bit (and also always interested in seeing big deer!!).

If anyone is willing to post up pics of their bucks with a known score (doesn't have to be official, just slightly more accurate than an air guess) it'd be appreciated. Would love to see some bucks in the 170 to 190 range and bonus points for pics of them on the hoof.

I'm confident enough in my judging that I'm not going to take a 140 buck and think I shot a 180, but going back through old threads like this I've definitely been fooled by 160 bucks that I thought would break 170 and also 180 bucks that I thought were closer to 170, etc.

Thanks!

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I unfortunately don't have any pics of any big bucks to share, but for the sake of posting a pic here's 1 that I have a few cam pics from this year.

I'd air guess 135 ish but wouldn't be too surprised if someone with more experience thinks he's even smaller.
1vG50sKh.png

LRqudH2h.png

arJT0OZh.jpg

If I assume that his eye circumference is 4" and his ear is 8" I got 115 from the B&C calculator. I don't think he's that small though? Open to feedback on if there's any glaring errors in this or if I just slightly underestimated everything and it added up...

OL9MsGU.jpg

Burt_Niel

FNG
I unfortunately don't have any pics of any big bucks to share, but for the sake of posting a pic here's 1 that I have a few cam pics from this year.

I'd air guess 135 ish but wouldn't be too surprised if someone with more experience thinks he's even smaller.
1vG50sKh.png

LRqudH2h.png

arJT0OZh.jpg

If I assume that his eye circumference is 4" and his ear is 8" I got 115 from the B&C calculator. I don't think he's that small though? Open to feedback on if there's any glaring errors in this or if I just slightly underestimated everything and it added up...

OL9MsGU.jpg
I think you're slightly underestimating. I'd say those G2s are closer to 15" at least, then making the G3s more like 6-7"s so you're leaving a good 15"s on the table making him closer to 140. Also in my personal experience, unless he's 'looking' spindly, those base masses are probably closer to 4"Dia.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Burt_Niel

FNG
This year's buck came in around gross 148". The G2s are right around 13"s and the bases are 4.25".

As I've read elsewhere on the forum, a 4x4 Mulie can get to 140" pretty easily.

Best I've learned, is that if you watch enough 4x4 bucks you'll eventually see one that makes you say WOAH, that one's probably 170+ haha!
448a3e0aec6df5d3ab52aecb5afa5828.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’m not the best at field judging, but I do know that there is kind of a tipping point where you just know a buck is a shooter (at least for me) frame sizes outside the ears, double the height of the ears, heavy or solid looking horns those factors are typically visible at 8-900 yards through 10x binos, if you are struggling to see good horn through your binos at that distance it’s more of a dink

Here is a buck from a couple years ago, grossed close to 170

Attachments

• IMG_2897.jpeg
    IMG_2897.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 264
OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I posted a couple more previously in the thread "post pics of deer with known main beam and G2 lengths"
Thanks. I'll go find that thread. Your second buck I would have guessed a bit higher at first glance probably from the first photo. Helpful pics!