Canvas tent help

mcfd45

FNG
Hey guys. Had a question about my canvas tent. I picked up a wall tent on Facebook.
the prior owner put it up once and never put it back up.
I plan to put it up as soon as the weather and my schedule cooperate.
I plan to “wet” it as I don’t know if the prior owner did.
That brings my next question.
I know you don’t want to put it away when wet. Mold will grow right?
what about if it’s raining when you take it down? What methods do you guys use to dry it before putting it into the storage bag?
leave it hanging from rafters in the garage?

should I do anything to treat the canvas. It has a very powerful fire retardant smell.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah if its wet when u take it down, hang it back up to let it dry out. It will mildew/mold if u do not. You can treat the canvas.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've taken mine down wet many times, and I just set it back up when I get home until it's dry. Then I lay it out and fold it up to let the bottoms dry that were touching the ground. Then finish folding and put it in the bag and store it.

Depending on how good your sense of smell is, you might be hosed. With that fire retardant I'd probably set it up and leave it up for a year or so to try and get as much of that smell out of it, but I doubt that will completely work. I bought a whole setup from a guy several years ago that had the fire retardant on it, and this tent was well used (weathered worse than my 10 year old tent at the time). That thing never did lose that smell. I couldn't stand being within 50 feet of it, let alone sleeping in it. But the only reason I bought the setup was for the stove, so I sold everything else individually for $300 more than I paid for everything, and kept the stove for free.

Jethro

WKR
Couple days draped over saw horses in basement with dehumidifier running does a nice job prepping my Kodiak canvas for storage.

Call me excessive but re-erect it at home and let it dry out in the sun with the windows and doors open until it's bone day. I don't want "that smell" mentioned above.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Canvas tents are happiest when they're set up. Don't overthink the wet shock. Just set it up before it rains, let it get soaked, and leave it up until it's bone dry. The initial shock will help cut down on drips and leaks, but it'll go through the same process every time it gets rained on.

Plan on airing your tent out after every trip. On the last day of a trp, most people pack up camp in the morning and hit the road for home. Usually that means the tent has absorbed the morning dew and hasn't had a chance to dry completely. Hang it in your garage when you get home of you have to, but get it set up again at home as soon as you can, then pack it up fresh and dry. Sunlight is the best way to deodorize natural fibers like cotton and wool.

Raime

FNG
I had to change my tent because mine had grown moldy, and it was impossible to stay inside. Firstly, there was a terrible smell. Secondly, as far as I know, mold is not good for the lungs. So, I have something to share. If your tent gets wet, and you need to fold it, it's best not to forget about it and let it dry as soon as possible. It's also a good idea to let it stand in the open sunlight. And the old tent I just had to throw away and buy a new one. I decided not to save money and researched the tent ratings at https://outdoorfunmag.com/best-canvas-tents/. The new tent will be kept in its original state by me.

Last edited: