Car for the Mountains

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Hey y'all. My family and I are planning a move to Montana or Wyoming from Tennessee this summer. I finally graduate from business school in May and will be looking to move as soon as possible after that. I've been driving a 2007 Mustang around for the last few years as a cheap commuter car. I'm not planning on taking it with us when we go.

My question is what kind of car do I really need just to commute back and forth during winter in those states? We have a lifted 4-wheel drive 4Runner that I'll use in the mountains or if the weather is really bad and the wife and kids can stay close to home. I'd love to get another 4wd truck but that's probably not in the cards just for me to have as a commuter car. Can I get by with something like a Toyota Camry or do I need something with all-wheel drive and more clearance like a Subaru or small SUV. I'm trying to get by as inexpensively as I can, hence the small car option. Also, any advice on whether I should by the car here and take it with me or buy once I get out West?

I really appreciate any advice y'all might have. I've done a lot of searching on the internet, but it's hard to get straight answers sometimes and I trust you guys that live out there more than anyone else.

LandYacht

WKR
Toss dedicated snow tires on any car and you should be fine for the most part.

Usually it’s the nut holding the wheel that makes the biggest difference. Take it slow and steady and you will make it to where you are going as you pass by 4wd that are upside down in the median.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
All kinds of cars will work - but IMHO AWD beats FWD any day. Subarus are as common as stars in the sky for a reason, they work, haul stuff in the back, on top and off a trailer hitch. Honda CRVs the same. Frankly any reliable AWD car will do the trick for a coummuter.

Years ago I was comparing prices on cars in Montana vs elsewhere and, very generally, they cost less elsewhere. Just check out autotrader, cargurus and check it out.

Welcome to the migration West

Fatcamp

WKR
Camry is a great affordable option. Subaru are nice but pricey, might as well just buy another 4runner.

We use Bridgestone Blizzaks year round and it gets around great. Has its limits, but overall works well.

Poser

WKR
Best thing to do is pay attention to what the locals drive and what tires they use. That being said, tires matter far more than any other detail. I drive a RWD tahoe, which is the worst vehicle for Mtn driving, but throw those winter tires on and sand bags over the rear wheel wells and I’m good for mountain passes of all conditions. If you just want to play it safe, get a Subaru + a extra set of wheels for your winter tires. Quality All weather tires can also be fine but you will need to replace them earlier than you would otherwise. Also, good windshield wipers, a shovel, a bag of sand and a battery jumper.

wytx

WKR
Front wheel drive and decent tires. Try to get something that site up a little higher off the road, sometimes we have heavy wet snow that makes deep slush a real problem.
Most of our snows are very dry snow , the slush comes into play when we get a warm up.
I see a few mustamgs in town, take it slow and you would be ok but not the best choice up here in winter.
Side streets don't get plowed in town so you will find folks just going on about their way in deeper snow, you'll need a little clearance from the road.

87TT

WKR
OK, I have lived in the mountains for over 40 years and in snowy hill country since and currently. I hate chains. I have three 4x4 vehicles. Two trucks and a Samurai. My wife however has a Subaru. I have owned three Subarus and my folks have owned three. If you like me care about your family, get a Subaru or some other AWD with good tires. I have had good luck with the Subarus. Just keep up on the servicing.

OP
MTHunter20

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Wow guys. Thank you so much for the help. That really answers a lot of questions for me. This car will mostly be a commuter for me but would be nice if we could drive it back to TN to visit. That’s where the gas mileage of the Camry would come in handy. Think I’ll lean toward a Subaru or RAV4 type of suv but be ok with a Camry if I can’t find a good deal on the other types. Does that sound like a good plan?

As requested, here’s some pics of the 4Runner. Still want a roof rack and some different wheels but I love that thing.

ED5F7B22-7F87-4B00-81CF-D6B215B13167.jpeg59EC8473-4DAE-4334-B859-1A5FC0AD4134.jpegA31B39D0-F0E9-4ED4-B872-7B69468D6A36.jpeg

When I lived in the mountains I had a Toyota 2 wheel drive. I ran studied tires for the winter. It was much better than my 4 wheel drive F250 on the icy roads. But I strongly recommend a Subaru all wheel drive (I have an outback now). If permitted, run studded tires in the winter.

wytx

WKR
What ever you get, buy it there. The prices are much better.

This is good advice. Look on local dealer lots , see what they stock ,then look for used. Some of their trades will be cars not suitable for our winter driving traded by new residents, some trades by locals and they worked for them just fine.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I traded my truck for a forester. Even though the f150 wasn’t lifted, had good tires it felt like an elephant on skates driving icy roads. My Subaru with only average tires feels much more stable and in control. Mileage can get up around 32 @ 70mph flat highway, crappy Denver traffic is 23 and normal in town driving is 27. Subaru has addressed the head gasket issue in the’14& up forester and probably all there current models. Tires are half that of my truck, almost twice the mpg, plus no anti hunter is going vandalize a Subaru at the trailhead... I’m a little scared to pull into cabelas

BFR

WKR
You’ll see about everything, 2wd, AWD & 4x4, economy wise it’s hard to beat Subaru. In fact, I’ve decided that the Subaru Outback is the official state car, they’re all over and dependable too.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Get a Subaru. My wife and daughter drive one. We don’t live out west. But we live in the Lake Effect Snowbelt. They both drive Subaru Crosstreks and I am amazed at what they will go thru.