Carbon or stainless barrel for new hunting rig

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm looking to get a new 300 prc for elk hunting. More of a bow hunter so I'm fairly uneducated on any long range rifle shooting. Currently looking at a Christianson arms Ridgeline or the Mesa. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two and my issue is whether there will be to much jump with the lighter carbon gun on the shot and not being able to see my hits. Will a heavier stainless make the chances of staying on target or seeing hits better? Only talking for hunting situations and I'm no long range shooter yet but I'm working on it this year since I drew a decent rifle tag. Money is def on my mind as its a 700 or 800$ price difference but I'll do it if I decide it is worth it but my main objective here is to kill elk and be able to take a follow up shot as quick as possible... Thanks in advance!

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Will you be running a muzzle brake on either of them?
Great question.... No idea yet... Wasn't planning on it I guess but I should look into them and cost, not sure if I'll be able to afford one or not this year. Would I gain a lot having one or can I get away without?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There's a lot that goes into play when you are talking about spotting your shot. Range, brake, and practice are the biggest things. If you practice you should be able to spot shots at 400 yards with a light rifle. With that being said how many hunting shows have we all watched where guys are shooting 6.5 Creedmoor at 600 yards and they turn around to ask the cameraman if they hit it... Spend some time with the rifle and put a good brake on it and you should be good to go with either option!

Also if you have considered running a chassis rifle the new Bergara MG lite is a great option! We have heard nothing but positive feedback from it so far and the one we have in the shop is very smooth for a factory rifle!

Steel. You might not be thinking about a muzzle brake now but you may in the future. Think ahead. “Light” isn’t all that anyway.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
There's a lot that goes into play when you are talking about spotting your shot. Range, brake, and practice are the biggest things. If you practice you should be able to spot shots at 400 yards with a light rifle. With that being said how many hunting shows have we all watched where guys are shooting 6.5 Creedmoor at 600 yards and they turn around to ask the cameraman if they hit it... Spend some time with the rifle and put a good brake on it and you should be good to go with either option!

Also if you have considered running a chassis rifle the new Bergara MG lite is a great option! We have heard nothing but positive feedback from it so far and the one we have in the shop is very smooth for a factory rifle!
Thanks for the reply. I honestly am not interested in a chassis style at all but thank you. I need to get it set up and in my hands asap to start practicing I guess is the main thing. I will probably start out without a brake on it and see how it goes and then maybe put one on after the fact?

Reactions: XLR
OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Steel. You might not be thinking about a muzzle brake now but you may in the future. Think ahead. “Light” isn’t all that anyway.
Thanks for the input. Think I'm leaning towards steel at the moment

axeforce6

WKR
Great question.... No idea yet... Wasn't planning on it I guess but I should look into them and cost, not sure if I'll be able to afford one or not this year. Would I gain a lot having one or can I get away without?
Both rifles come with a brake. Recoil isn’t bad at all on either. I prefer carbon for the long haul. I shoot mine suppressed so the threaded barrels are a must. Both of those rifles are 5/8-24. Spotting shots on a magnum 30 cal is capable on a rifle with a really good brake, but don’t expect it to be the equivalent to a braked 308. Practice a lot and learn how your rifle shoots.

I would go Ridgeline, unless the 300 PRC Mesa comes in a 5/8x24 thread pitch. I had a 7 mag Mesa and it was 1/2X28 so I had to use an adapter, which came loose and caused a baffle strike on my suppressor. I'm all for direct thread when possible.

If you do use the muzzle brake, be sure to wear good hearing protection. I have been shooting for 40 years and did plenty of damage to my hearing in my younger days, but recently took things to a whole new level thanks to my left earplug falling out a little between shots while shooting a magnum with a brake.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the reply. I honestly am not interested in a chassis style at all but thank you. I need to get it set up and in my hands asap to start practicing I guess is the main thing. I will probably start out without a brake on it and see how it goes and then maybe put one on after the fact?
Brakes are a hard thing because they do reduce recoil drastically but they make the rifle so much louder! I personally run a brake on all of my rifles but I could understand why people wouldn't. It is more important to me to be able to see my shot than shoot without ear pro. I just bring foam earplugs and put them in before I take a shot but when you have to make a quick shot you will not hear anything for a couple of days! The fix-all would be a can but who has time to wait for that!

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the great info guys. Think I'm going to go with Mesa but we'll see. I cringe a little hearing about the loudness difference with a brake, seeing I'm 32 and my hearing has been significantly reduced already lol. I'll just plan on ear plugs I think and maybe down the road look at a suppressor?

Last edited:

axeforce6

WKR
Thanks for all the great info guys. Think I'm going to go with Mesa but we'll see. I cringe a little hearing about the loudness difference with a brake, seeing I'm 32 and my hearing has been significantly reduced already lol. I'll just plan on ear plugs I think and maybe down the road look at a suppressor?
I’d absolutely look into a suppressor. The wait is unconstitutional but not we can do about it. Eforms have sped things up. I shoot with an omega 300 for my magnum 30 cals. I did do direct thread but got tired of the suppressor getting loose after a few shots at the range. I switch to ASR brakes and have a solid locked fit. Silencerco brought out the harvester Evo for around $600 and is rated for magnum 30’s. It’s light and built like a tank and will save you $250-$300 over the omega 300.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
I’d absolutely look into a suppressor. The wait is unconstitutional but not we can do about it. Eforms have sped things up. I shoot with an omega 300 for my magnum 30 cals. I did do direct thread but got tired of the suppressor getting loose after a few shots at the range. I switch to ASR brakes and have a solid locked fit. Silencerco brought out the harvester Evo for around $600 and is rated for magnum 30’s. It’s light and built like a tank and will save you $250-$300 over the omega 300.
Thanks. Any knowledge of Dakota silencer? They're close to me so wouldn't mind trying them out if I found some good input on them. I'll have to ask around with the local crowd as well.

axeforce6

WKR
Thanks. Any knowledge of Dakota silencer? They're close to me so wouldn't mind trying them out if I found some good input on them. I'll have to ask around with the local crowd as well.
I have no experience with them.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
I believe that Dakota was rebranded as Silencer Central (https://www.silencercentral.com/). They are easy to deal with and sell high quality suppressors. Have a peek at the Banish 30 that they sell.
Yes you are right. Thanks I'll check it out for sure. Guy at the local Scheels today told me something about a new thing where you only have to wait like 60 to 100 or something days? Not sure what truth there is behind it

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
The new efile program is supposed to cut the waiting time significantly. I filed recently and was told three to five months is realistic currently.