Carbon six 7prc tikka

brushape

WKR
I can only dig up info one guy who completed his 7prc carbon six tikka build and it sounded like a dumpster fire. Has anyone built one of these and had good success? On the fence about ordering one of their barrels while the sale is still going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
I have one, it was not head spaced properly just a little short, I believe you can ship your action to them, I would recommend that

TxLite

WKR
I have a thread on mine. It turned out great.

Sadler

WKR
I’ve had good luck with carbon six but none have been 7PRC. Just a heads up, I ordered a barrel about 6 months ago and they still haven’t received a barrel blank from McGowen to start making it. If you want this anytime soon, you may want to find one in stock somewhere or get a blank chambered.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
So sounds not too great so far

You only hear the bad, it seems my barrel while not head spaced properly it does shoot good, some factory ammo loaded just fine some didn’t, at the time no brass was available, I now load for it and adjust head spaced accordingly
As I stated I would recommend sending the action ( not available at the time I purchased a barrel) that way they should check it and confirm it’s correct before shipping to you

khuber84

WKR
Don't trust a barrel maker to machine your chamber as close to perfect as possible. They make barrels, leave that to them. Find a good smith to do the work for you. Yes it's more expensive, but I've been around or had way more problems with a barrel maker prefit than any smith made prefit or action fit barrel. Leave the machining to a smith.

Sled

WKR
I can only dig up info one guy who completed his 7prc carbon six tikka build and it sounded like a dumpster fire. Has anyone built one of these and had good success? On the fence about ordering one of their barrels while the sale is still going

I've gone down the carbon 6 road and won't be back. For my money, it'll be a well known barrel maker that does cut rifle or cold hammer forged barrels. I'm also not going to pursue carbon barrels or fluting. I'm going to keep it simple and functional so there's less to screw up.

OP
B

brushape

WKR
You only hear the bad, it seems my barrel while not head spaced properly it does shoot good, some factory ammo loaded just fine some didn’t, at the time no brass was available, I now load for it and adjust head spaced accordingly
As I stated I would recommend sending the action ( not available at the time I purchased a barrel) that way they should check it and confirm it’s correct before shipping to you

I actually already have a carbon six prefit in 6.5 saum that I have mixed feelings about so I know plenty about their business. I was hoping to get some great reviews in this thread to maybe sway me into getting another but so far it’s not happening

Dsellen14

FNG
Ok so my experience is that they are ok to work with. Small Shop and dependent on McGowan so some lead time with that. I had a 22" 6.5 CM made on a tikka action and barrel and fit with a couple of the stock option routes I went down were fine. More importantly, every load I've developed shot less than one MOA. Hope that helps

arios2

FNG
My $0.02, so far so good. Ordered a 6.5 creed prefit for my my seekins havak HIT rifle. It’s a quick change barrel system and the carbon six threaded on nicely. My order took 5 months from order to delivery which seems better than average from the previous delivery times I read about. Im shooting 0.3 - 1moa groups with 3 different factory ammo loads and I am very satisfied. My barrel is 24 inches long, full bull 1.2 straight, and weighs 3.5 lbs.

IMG_2691.jpeg
IMG_2715.jpeg

OP
B

brushape

WKR
Update I couldn’t pass up a deal on a proof prefit in stock so I should have this thing done here shortly

khuber84

WKR
Update I couldn’t pass up a deal on a proof prefit in stock so I should have this thing done here shortly

Proof uses a very high end slant bed doosan cnc. Capable of very concentric 0000 dial in, I just wish the guys running their machinery had the desire to get things that straight. I have a few not so true proof chambered prefits. However they still shoot pretty dang good.

EcoastDG

FNG
I built a 22inch 7mm prc on a Tikka. The Carbon 6 barrel is a little short. The only issue I have had is that the rifle won’t chamber some ELDM 180 factory ammunition. It feeds everything else smoothly,factory and custom ammunition.
The barrel is accurate like all my other Carbon 6 barrels.

Sled

WKR
I built a 22inch 7mm prc on a Tikka. The Carbon 6 barrel is a little short. The only issue I have had is that the rifle won’t chamber some ELDM 180 factory ammunition. It feeds everything else smoothly,factory and custom ammunition.
The barrel is accurate like all my other Carbon 6 barrels.

When you say short, how long is it? Where are you measuring from?

Sled

WKR
Never measured it. The bolt wouldn’t close on go gauge.

So the headspace is off? Is that what you meant by "the barrel is a little short"? The reason I ask is a lot of people only measure the exposed portion of the barrel and think it's an inch short

Sled

WKR
My advice would be to send in your barreled action with a couple dummy rounds. Without that you'd get back excessive headspace the next time.

EcoastDG

FNG
So the headspace is off? Is that what you meant by "the barrel is a little short"? The reason I ask is a lot of people only measure the exposed portion of the barrel and think it's an inch short
Yup, that’s what I meant. Hasn’t been an issue with the ammunition I’ve been using. I haven’t had any other issues with my other Tikka prefits from Proof or Carbon 6, however I will probably have UM build me a 7 Saum with a BAT action next.