CarbonSix 1:8 or Proof 1:9

MThuntr

WKR
I'm in a situation where I'm prepping to purchase a barrel for my TBD 30 cal rifle. I've come to a crossroads where I can get either a Proof Research in 1:9 or a CarbonSix in 1:8...everything else equal...including the same price (Proof is like $25 more). I am able to change the specs of the CarbonSix but the Proof is one of those cases where for the price you don't get to choose much.

I'm planning on shooting heavier all copper bullets (215 grains but possibly Hammer 199s) so the CarbonSix has an advantage with rifling but Proof has the reputation. Which do you choose?

codym

WKR
1:9 should be plenty for the 215's, I've shot them out of a 1:10 with no issues. I love my proof barrels, never owned a carbon 6.

tdhanses

WKR
Personally after owning both proof and carbonsix, I’d go carbonsix. But I’d also check with Mike, haven’t heard a single complaint with his barrels.

Also carbonsix will chamber and thread the barrel if you have an action on their list which saves about $300 in gunsmith fees.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
Have you considered one of my carbon barrels? Choose your contour and twist rate and you get a Rokslide discount.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually I completely spaced out that you made barrels. Benchmark blanks is a great start and definitely interested in helping out a sponsor. To be honest, I was sitting at home and just googled "carbon fiber barrel" and followed the links they offered. I'll have to bookmark your page.

I'll shoot you a PM about the Rokslide code. Likely going with the 30 Sherman mag (300PRC SI)

Last edited:

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Personally after owning both proof and carbonsix, I’d go carbonsix. But I’d also check with Mike, haven’t heard a single complaint with his barrels.

Also carbonsix will chamber and thread the barrel if you have an action on their list which saves about $300 in gunsmith fees.

I noticed they’ve stopped providing this service.

tdhanses

WKR
I noticed they’ve stopped providing this service.

Are you sure? I know they stopped installing barreled actions but last I checked they still threaded and chambered.

Edit..look again, they still do this just go thru the list for a prefit vs blank.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Are you sure? I know they stopped installing barreled actions but last I checked they still threaded and chambered.

Edit..look again, they still do this just go thru the list for a prefit vs blank.

youre right. I had my actions mounted by them so I misunderstood what you were saying. Usually chambered blanks are short chambered but sounds like certain actions have tight enough tolerances to get by without. Just an action vice and torque wrench, I guess I’d still want proper gauges as well.

tdhanses

WKR
youre right. I had my actions mounted by them so I misunderstood what you were saying. Usually chambered blanks are short chambered but sounds like certain actions have tight enough tolerances to get by without. Just an action vice and torque wrench, I guess I’d still want proper gauges as well.

You still have to fit it properly and check headspace etc. I put one of their prefits on a Howa and my gunsmith was impressed, so far it’s a shooter.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
More research has kicked me back to 1:9 as my original thoughts were to run +220 grain all copper bullets but after discussing this issue with others those bullets are much longer than I want so I'm dialing back to 215ish coppers and I won't be missing anything.

Broz

WKR
Just got shipping confirmation on 3 barrels from CarbonSix. Among these 3 is my 26" 1 in 9 twist 5 groove to rebarrel my 30 Nosler to 300 win mag.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
Just got shipping confirmation on 3 barrels from CarbonSix. Among these 3 is my 26" 1 in 9 twist 5 groove to rebarrel my 30 Nosler to 300 win mag.
Broz I watched a few of your videos about your comparison of 30N and 300Win...funny how when you got to compare updated powders how the 30N lost a lot a ground. Currently thinking of going with the 30 Sherman Mag (aka 300PRC SI and other names) mostly for the "unique factor" but it looks like it's really the only thing that can beat the classic 300Win without stepping up to something based on the Lapua or Norma. Of course most animals can't tell the difference of 150fps.

Broz

WKR
Broz I watched a few of your videos about your comparison of 30N and 300Win...funny how when you got to compare updated powders how the 30N lost a lot a ground. Currently thinking of going with the 30 Sherman Mag (aka 300PRC SI and other names) mostly for the "unique factor" but it looks like it's really the only thing that can beat the classic 300Win without stepping up to something based on the Lapua or Norma. Of course most animals can't tell the difference of 150fps.

So those few more grains of powder capacity are going to make a difference? Is there not some 300 win mag brass at this point that narrows that difference quite a bit? What powder burn rate will allow only a few grains to offer more performance? It will take a perfect capacity / volume / burn rate match to use those few grains. I know some feel the "New Design" case of the PRC is worth performance. But if that is so why does my 30 Nosler and 300 win mag run exactly the same velocity with exactly the same charger weight? Marketing hype gets us all at times. The fact is, the 30 N and 300 PRC are shorter. Thats pretty much it. And I have zero issues running a 300 win with long bullets from a long action. There may be a slight velocity advantage to the PRC, but so slight there will likely be more difference from barrel to barrel. Another point of interest would be barrel life. Why is my 30N dead at 600 to 700 rounds? Why are others experiencing the same? Could it be these new and improved space age cases are harder on throats? Just starting to log data. But these are all questions worth consideration when choosing a new rifle chamber design.

Broz

WKR
Currently thinking of going with the 30 Sherman Mag (aka 300PRC SI and other names) mostly for the "unique factor" but it looks like it's really the only thing that can beat the classic 300Win without stepping up to something based on the Lapua or Norma. Of course most animals can't tell the difference of 150fps.

Do you think the 300 SS will sent a 215 Berger at 3150 from a 26" barrel with a safe charge weight, low ES be accurate? Hmmmmm. Let me know how that goes.

Broz, what are you seeing for barrel life with 300 WM running 215s at 3k FPS over n570? I’d think it would be notably reduced from a low 2900 FPS h1000 load.

Broz

WKR
Broz, what are you seeing for barrel life with 300 WM running 215s at 3k FPS over n570? I’d think it would be notably reduced from a low 2900 FPS h1000 load.
My best data to answer this would be to note that my old 300 win mag "Heart Breaker" is still going strong after over 1500 rounds and this rifle is one of if not the tightest shooting rifles I have ever owned. The 215 load for this rifle was 3035 fps with a 215 over H-1000 in Lapua brass. The primer pockets started to loosen at 14 firings but still held primers. The same rifle ran at 3100 with a 215 over 82.2 grains of N-570. That is exactly what my 30 N does with the exact same charge. Inspecting brass shows both rifles, (both 28") were at a max charge weight with slight ejector marks at this charge. In fact, the 30 N exibited just slightly more of a ejector mark. Neither showed any bolt resistance. (See picture below) The 30N barrel is gone south at 600 to 700 rounds. I know it is becoming common belief that N570 is harder on barrels. I can not say I have enough data to conclude that. What I do know is that N570 usually produces higher velocity in suitable cases. But the 3 other rifles we are running N570 in are alive and well after more than a few years in hunting rifles. I will likely either use N570 or H1000 in my new 300 win mag barrel. The decision will be made from which powder has the best performance, lowest ES, and tightest vertical from 600 yards out. The facts I am seeing, with limited actual collected first hand data, is the difference in performance between 300 wm, 30N, and 300 PRC are so close it is hard to decern if it is actually case design, powder capacity (all close to each other) or if the performance difference is simply the fact some barrels are faster than others.

Attachments

• IMG_20170614_122104506.jpg
    IMG_20170614_122104506.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited: