CarbonSix Barrel Life?

philcox

WKR
Just curious for those that have run @CarbonSix barrels, was curious as to what I should expect for Barrel Life?

I am running:
  • 22" 1:9, on a 300WM, 175 LRX @ 3100 fps
  • 20" 1:8, on a 7 PRC, 168 LRX or 160 CX (still developing) running 2900-3050
Having only had these for a "short time" I am just curious as to what a realistic "rounds down the tube" would be. Right now I have about 400 rounds down the 300WM and 200 down the 7PRC.

Phil

ID_Matt

WKR
I think the manufacture of the barrel is generally lower on the list of things that could affect barrel life. Going to be more dependent on rate of fire (how warm the barrel gets), pressure of load, and powder used.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
I think the manufacture of the barrel is generally lower on the list of things that could affect barrel life. Going to be more dependent on rate of fire (how warm the barrel gets), pressure of load, and powder used.
I understand, but I am sure there are some who have x number of rounds down the pipe to give me some reference. Hope some folks have some practical experience to share.

Wrench

WKR
Your info is going to be pretty subjective. It's going to be dependent on load data, rate of fire and chamber design.

I'd expect a strong 1k from the win before you start to worry. I have never cooked a 7prc so I cannot speak to their life.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve never shot a carbon six, but it would seem the stainless liner will wear like any similar stainless barrel.

The owner of GA Precision recently said a friend of his never gets a barrel hot, and those barrels last 2x or 3x as long as someone who shoots a lot and keeps the barrels hot.

I‘ve often heard a 7 Rem mag is good for 1,000 rounds before accuracy suffers and that’s about how long mine lasted. I’ve never been around a high round count 300 mag, but it’s probably not much more.