Caribou Camp - what to take!?

Planning a 'bou hunt in 2020 with my dad and we have had some discussion on what shelter to run.

We own an 8 man SO tipi - haven't weighed it, but i think with pole/liners its probably 9#'s. We wouldn't be running a stove from what I've been told given the lack of trees around, so this MIGHT be an option if we can get our pack weight down. I am at about 46 pounds with a few more items to weigh still and that's including 1.5# food per day for 8-9 days. the 8 man tipi would be plenty of room for us and all our gear.

We also both own MtnSmith Mountain Shelters - so we could both just run those individually and set up a tarp for extra gear.

My dad also owns a Bibler 4 season tent. Don't know the weight on this either and it's fairly old so he needs to pull it out and set it up to make sure it's still up to the task.

So my question is; what shelter to run? I like the idea of a floorless shelter up there, but I think the 8 man is too heavy; and I don't know how the Mtn Shelters will hold up in extreme weather. I've used it for camping and archery elk season last year, but didn't run into weather. They look solid enough though.

We have tossed around the idea of buying a 4 man tipi; or the Sawtooth, or even the Silvertip or Cimarron. We've considered a Hille as well, but my dad likes the ability to run a stove for future use. Arctic Oven looks awesome; but out based on weight alone.

What are you guys running when on a caribou drop hunt? and what would you suggest we use?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We took a diy sawtooth and a golite s3 for three guys. I don't remember what wieght we were limited to though. We didn't even use the s3 except to store our gear in at night. It was nice piece of mind to have a backup shelter since my buddies didn't fully trust my sewing abilities.
30118c4cddbdde776ceff14a417a05d1.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Diesel

WKR
Do you know what your weight limit is? When we did a drop camp, the outfitter provided the tent, food cots and roll up table. We had a 50 lb limit ourselves plus rifle.

OP
A
50 pounds plus rifle. And i was told we could wear gear/stuff things in our pockets as long as we could srill physically get in the plane

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
leave something else out-take the 8, you will be happy.

wear all the clothes you can and stuff your pockets.

i once watched a couple guys [drinking] get weighed out and ready to load the plane. the pilot went around the other side or had to take the fuel truck off the beach and they put a 2 cases of beer in 2 duffle bags while he was gone. i though it took a lot of water for him to take off.
he knew when he came for us.

OP
A
leave something else out-take the 8, you will be happy.

wear all the clothes you can and stuff your pockets.

i once watched a couple guys [drinking] get weighed out and ready to load the plane. the pilot went around the other side or had to take the fuel truck off the beach and they put a 2 cases of beer in 2 duffle bags while he was gone. i though it took a lot of water for him to take off.
he knew when he came for us.
Have some time to work on my gear. Like i said, right now im at 46# with food. Just thinking of an alternative shelter in case I don't see where i can cut anymore.

Takes some balls for sure to do that. Ans beer to boot. If you're gonna take anything take aome whiskey haha

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk