Cartridge help

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys! Hopefully yall can answer some questions. So I’m doing a semi custom build off my tikka 270 wsm action and since all tikka actions are built as a long action, I bought a long action bolt stop and a magnum magazine so now it operates as a LA, (or am I missing something and that’s not possible?) and I ordered a barrel chambered in .284, 1-8” twist 5R groove 27” long. I was going to go for a 7saum but now that I can run it as a long action, would you guys suggest to go a different route? Like maybe a 7 stw or 28 nosler? I planned on running heavy so 180s, maybe 195s. It’s mainly for long range muleys and elk! Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Not with a tikka action. Go with a 7saum,7wsm or 7 Sherman max with 180s

KClark

WKR
The Tikka T3 action is standard cartridge long length. It will handle '06 based cartridges and some magnums like 300WM, 7RM and 338WM but not any of the super mags like the Noslers, STW or Ultra mags without modifications. It's happy to serve up cartridges 3.40"and under.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’d be in 7WSM mode, but MT does offer a bottom metal that takes LA AICS mags. That gives 3.625 COAL.

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Okay it looks like I’ll just stick with 7 saum! It wasn’t a big deal, still be a good huntin setup, in a custom game warden McMillan, vortex razor, Harrell brake

Nick-D

FNG
Okay it looks like I’ll just stick with 7 saum! It wasn’t a big deal, still be a good huntin setup, in a custom game warden McMillan, vortex razor, Harrell brake

You'll have plenty of room to load em long so should still get plenty usable velocity with 180's

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
You'll have plenty of room to load em long so should still get plenty usable velocity with 180's

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. I still bought a long bolt stop, bottom medal and a magnum magazine, along with a few other goodies from mountain tactical. Just waiting on my smith to do his work on the action and barrel.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck with your build. I’m doing a tikka 300 wsm/Berger 215 build at the end of the year myself.👍🏻

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Man! Should be done in a few months, I’ll post up some pictures!

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent!👍🏻 Should be able to kill just about anything you point it at with a 27” 7 saum & 180’s. Hope she’s a tack driver for ya.😎

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent! Should be able to kill just about anything you point it at with a 27” 7 saum & 180’s. Hope she’s a tack driver for ya.

Oh yeah I’m hoping so man!!