Casper wyoming mule deer

I got lucky in the random draw with 4 points, and will be hunting deer in Natrona County this October. (Is naming a county frowned upon? If so, I'll edit)

I've asked a couple of my questions on other threads without answer, so I figured I'd make a specific thread.

Before applying, I looked over winter kill articles, and the units in which tag quotas were cut because of winter kill, and didn't see the Casper area mentioned anywhere. None the less, it was a brutal winter all over Wyoming. Does anyone have a boots on the ground report of how this winter treated the deer in that area?

Second, we own a 33 foot bumper pull travel trailer that I'd love to pull up there (from northern Colorado) and stay in and have my whole family along for a few days of the hunt at least (we've got 5 young kids). They may head home after a few days, while i continue hunting. My primary concerns are related to possible weather and road conditions in late October if I pull a camper up there with the family. I don't want to get buried in the mud with a camper. Are there some places with better maintained roads and pull offs that are a safer bet to park a camper?

I know the unit is fairly desolate, with varying terrain depending on which side of the unit a guy is on. I enjoy glassing the plains and I also enjoy doing some hiking, so I'd like to see it all. But if I've got the family along in a camper, would they have more fun if we parked closer to some of the mountainous terrain?

Please PM me with any info that shouldn't be public. Thanks!

OP
Lil-Rokslider
You might need to worry about snow more than mud in Oct.
Great that you're bringing the family along, good luck!!
Ya, that's definitely a good possibility!
I wasn't planning on drawing wyoming deer til my kids were a bit older, so I'm coming up with a game plan that won't leave my wife stranded with a bunch of little hell raisers!

SDHNTR

WKR
Mud is a real possibility in that country. I’ve had a couple of real grease fests, but fortunately by Oct, it’s usually freezing overnight. So you can usually get out in the early am while it’s still hard. That’s said, for piece of mind, with a rig that big, I’m not sure I’d be going in deep anywhere. Find an RV park in town. Take chains for all 4 on your truck.

Last time I was deer hunting in WY was 2021 and we got 30" of snow on October 12th. So be prepared for all conditions. Would definitely recommend some 10 ply tires on your entire rig for peace of mind especially with the family. Last thing you want to be doing is wasting hunting days trying to get flats changed & fixed !
As others have stated bring tire chains & Good Luck !

Last time I was deer hunting in WY was 2021 and we got 30" of snow on October 12th. So be prepared for all conditions. Would definitely recommend some 10 ply tires on your entire rig for peace of mind especially with the family. Last thing you want to be doing is wasting hunting days trying to get flats changed & fixed !
As others have stated bring tire chains & Good Luck !
Was there also spent three days of a five-day hunt snowed in. totally shut down everything.

One thing is certain when hunting Wyoming WEATHER yep you're going to have it. My advice is be prepared for anything mother nature might throw your way especially with young ones in the mix. Good luck on your hunt.

Was there also spent three days of a five-day hunt snowed in. totally shut down everything.

We got lucky and we’re out of the state by the time that storm rolled in almost pushed the hunt back a week and would have been stuck in it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_5277.jpeg
Hard to tell from the picture but my boots looked the same way that day. I was walking around two inches taller than normal. It does stick to everything. The weather wasn’t bad that day but it had snowed the week or so before. This was last October. Never felt like I was going to get stuck in this or pulling it in with my truck but it took forever to get cleaned off

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for feedback. I'm planning to head up in August to scout, and as long as it's dry I'll pull the camper up then to give it a trial run and see if there's a good place to park it that will stay dry-ish. I'll be well prepared for the possibility that weather could shut down hunting for a few days, and won't bring the truck or camper anywhere foolish. Might be worth borrowing a side by side it sounds like.....

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Last question. As far as scouting goes, I will be scouting in August. But I'll be unable to go back again until the hunt begins in October because of some Colorado and Wyoming elk tags that my buddies drew, and I'll be along for. Someone told me that if I find the deer in August, that they should be nearby come October. Has that been a generally true statement in your experience?