CDS and load specific turrets from Leupold

JOC Fan

FNG
Not that it is always flawed but over the years, I have had Leupold make me three custom turrets that did not work as supposed to. In all three cases, the POI was higher than what it should have been. What I started doing as of 5 years ago is NOT to rely on their Ballistic program and instead run my own dope chart and give them the appropriate MOA (& hence audible clicks) so that they can burn the turret accordingly.

Just want to know if anyone else had had the same issue.

Marble

WKR
too many variables to rely on out to distance on them.

Its pretty easy to build a dope chart after load development and some comfirmation on numbers.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Works perfect on my Grandfathers mauser action 30.06 built in the 1950's with your basic core lokt 165 grain. I suspect that custom loads don't have as much data to "dial" in the dial. From 100 to 450 it seems to be spot on. You long range target guys 500+ yards may have issues due to barometric pressures, temp, elevation etc.

hunterjmj

WKR
Thought about a custom turret years ago since I shoot the same bullet and load but I've memorized my dial ups I'll just stick with the dial.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I have two that work just fine out to 550 - haven't shot beyond that. One for my 30-06 and one on my 270. Both vx3i 3-10x40. No complaints. My buddy has 4-14x40 with custom turret too and his gives no grief. That said I spent a lot of time collecting data and averaging it somewhat. My 270 is calculated for 2500 feet and my '06 is 633 feet elevation.

Garbage in, garbage out.

True for ANY method that allows you to take a shot at a known distance.

Folks love to bash custom turrets yet often praise a custom yardage “tape”, “cheat sheet”, or app. They all do the same thing with the app being the most customizable. All can be accurate with the right data and all can be inaccurate with incorrect data.

Most folks may validate the ballistics at the range. Few reconcile any differences between expected ballistics and actual ballistics once in the field. While checking zero in the field is common, I still haven’t seen a chronograph on anyone’s gear list for their high(er) elevation hunts.

I have two custom CDS turrets and they’ve been reliable to 1K. They work well for their intended purpose but not something that’d I would use on all of my rifles.

BFR

WKR
Used one on my JC Higgins 06. VX3 4x12 model, at 600+yds it’s always hit within 4” at 400 and under it’s been dead on. Putting one on my Bergara, I’ll have to wait and see how it does.