Chargemaster drifting weights

MThuntr

WKR
Anyone have a fix for a RCBS chargemaster drifting when reloading? Do I need to contact RCBS?

I've noticed mine will drift (vary weight up and down) if I don't let it warm up. I have a ferrite choke on the power cord which is supposed to help but yesterday after about 30 loads, I noticed that it drifted as much as 0.2 grains. While probably not enough to affect most of my hunting shots, I can't get excited about it.

cjcavinaw

FNG
I had reached out to them about a similar issue. Static was the issue for me so I wiped it down woth static guard. They also suggested I could use a dryer sheet to wipe it down.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
I had reached out to them about a similar issue. Static was the issue for me so I wiped it down woth static guard. They also suggested I could use a dryer sheet to wipe it down.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
That's an easy enough starting place. I can see how that could be an issue especially yesterday when it was warm and windy. Thanks

Tod osier

WKR
Anyone have a fix for a RCBS chargemaster drifting when reloading? Do I need to contact RCBS?

I've noticed mine will drift (vary weight up and down) if I don't let it warm up. I have a ferrite choke on the power cord which is supposed to help but yesterday after about 30 loads, I noticed that it drifted as much as 0.2 grains. While probably not enough to affect most of my hunting shots, I can't get excited about it.

The standard practice with even very expensive scientific balances is to zero the balance for every weighing.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
The standard practice with even very expensive scientific balances is to zero the balance for every weighing.
Are you suggesting zero before each session (which I do as well as calibrate) or after each charge is dispensed?

The latter would add a lot of time to the process. Every time you zero, you have to re-enter the charge weight then dispense. If it over/under charges then you double that. I don't see that as a plausible fix

Tod osier

WKR
Are you suggesting zero before each session (which I do as well as calibrate) or after each charge is dispensed?

The latter would add a lot of time to the process. Every time you zero, you have to re-enter the charge weight then dispense. If it over/under charges then you double that. I don't see that as a plausible fix

Yes, zero every drop. I have spent a lot of time on a balance and that is how I've always done it and that is how everyone I've worked with does it.

Firestone

WKR
I used a Chargemaster for years, I became curious how accurate it was. I borrowed my buddies fx120 and threw around 50 loads with Chargemaster and verified them on the fx120.

I was astonished at how shitty it was. I discarded all overthrows and only verified the ones that said exactly what I wanted. It varied +- 1.1 grains, most charges were off by more then a tenth. So not only was I fighting overthrows, I was reloading with something that wasn't even accurate when the correct charge was displayed.

Needless to say I no longer use it. This was the Chargemaster 1500

I used a Chargemaster for years, I became curious how accurate it was. I borrowed my buddies fx120 and threw around 50 loads with Chargemaster and verified them on the fx120.

I was astonished at how shitty it was. I discarded all overthrows and only verified the ones that said exactly what I wanted. It varied +- 1.1 grains, most charges were off by more then a tenth. So not only was I fighting overthrows, I was reloading with something that wasn't even accurate when the correct charge was displayed.

Needless to say I no longer use it. This was the Chargemaster 1500

I've read a bunch of stories like this. When I tested my Chargemaster 1500 on my fx120 I didn't see anywhere near that much variance. IIRC I didn't see anything get much beyond 0.1 grain off in 20 or so charges so I stopped.

I don't use it much since I have an autotrickler but it still serves me well when i want a handful of charges of a different powder than is loaded in the autotrickler.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I get the same on a cheap Harbor Freight scale. 1/2 the battle is knowing it is gonna happen. It will drift 0.1 gr.

My Lee powder measure thing is spot on and will verify the load every 50 rounds or so. Life got easier when i stopped trying to measure every powder load.

Seems like some chargemasters are great, and some have issues. I have been using mine for over 5 years and it has worked great. After reading a bunch about how shitty they were, I decided to buy a beam scale and verify each load I loaded. My charge master was never off in 50 rounds. The throw is not exact every time, but it is close enough that I simply trickle in or pick out a few every so often.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I have read a lot of chargemaster tests where it was plus or minus .05 grains. I personally have an a and d 120fx. I feel like the extreme spread is actually around .1 grains with that balance and the auto trickler. There are better balances to test with, but I am not going to purchase one to mess with.

I do think sometimes the chargemasters can be a problem, but they seem to be the best option out there short of the 120fx.

I had a lot of problems when I started using the first charge master link ( I just have 2 now for speed). The big thing I did was follow the start up instruction from RCBS " power up let warm up for 30min plus with powder pan on scale, calibrate with provided weights and then start using" I do check if against a beam scale which hold the same accuracy of .1grain. A couple thing I found it seems to work better use a metal pan, the tare weight can drift however the charge weight does seem to stay the same. I do get high and low charges that it indicates and I just dump them back in. Another that can be helpful is having the chargemaster on something that doesn't move. If you are doing stuff on the same table ( any jarring, vibration ) as what it is sitting on can effect the chargemaster on powder drops.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
Got a response form RCBS (aka Bushnell whatever holding company). Basically with a screenshot of the instructions so that was of little help.

This is chargemaster is probably 8 years old. I don't use the metal pan. I use a pan with a funnel on the side for ease of dump. Lately I've been using some big kernel powders and a drop tube so maybe going back to the OG pan would be beneficial.

I have some anti-static wipes ordered but I may get an antistatic pad. We'll see if that's the culprit.

The room is going to get a new, brighter light fixture so maybe that'll help if there is some weird interference.

Fire_9

WKR
Do you have it sitting on something solid? I came across a scrap of 1" thick marble and have mine sitting on that now and it seemed to help. I also remove the black pan that the powder pan sits on when it's not in use. Not sure if that really helps much but I had a guy mention it to me 12-13 years ago and have been doing it ever since.

OP
MThuntr

MThuntr

WKR
Do you have it sitting on something solid? I came across a scrap of 1" thick marble and have mine sitting on that now and it seemed to help. I also remove the black pan that the powder pan sits on when it's not in use. Not sure if that really helps much but I had a guy mention it to me 12-13 years ago and have been doing it ever since.
It's on a reloading bench that I built. More stable than any of my relationships.

Do you gents recommend a second scale to verify the chargemaster results at least on a intermittant test. If so what one is recommended?