Chasing Big Muleys and Mental Endurance

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all mental and you really have to ask yourself why you want a big buck. Do you want one to show off? Do you want to post a picture of you with a big buck so people think you’re credible? Do you think it will make you feel accomplished and happy to finally kill a big one? When I killed my first big buck(180”) and first book buck (196”), I honestly felt the same remorse I felt when I used to settle for a 3 year old 4 point. I thought “it’s a nice deer, but imagine what it would have been if I killed it next year”. It is honestly a personal accomplishment and a personal choice you make to shoot or pass. I always just ask myself: Will I feel guilty if I shoot this deer? Will I regret this until next year? If not, pull the trigger and be happy with your decision. Don’t make an excuse like “last day buck” or “had to settle for this one.” Set a goal, stand by it, hunt every minute as hard as opening morning, and don’t pull the trigger unless you’re going to be proud of the animal you kill. Don’t make a decision based on what others might think; it’s your tag, make the most of it. Tag soup tastes much better than years of regret. Read Robby Dennings books. They’ll get you pumped for the next season and help you realize that you can’t kill big bucks if you fill your tag on small bucks.

Jake_h223

FNG
Just take pride in what you do. Be the best. One more mile.. just to the next ridge…. Keep pushing yourself to go further/longer than most would. Focus on what could be. Not how you feel or how drained you are. You’ll be surprised what you can do and you’ll be surprised what you’ll find if you push past where you think you should.

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
“Can’t Get a 200’’ buck by killing 2.5 year olds” i forgot who told me that but i use it as motivation

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m right there with you in shooting 2.5-4.5 year old bucks. Hunt after hunt.

This years really, really stung, enough to maybe change things. My reasons aren’t a race to get home. I love it out there and am fine being cold and wet for a week straight. But being that I only eat meat from animals I’ve hunted I get to feeling that pressure midway through the hunt, Also, with young kids at home the bonus points for another hunt earned by getting home earlier definitely has crept in before. I also can get pulled into shooting one because of the location or situation. “Be a real pretty spot to take a buck.” or “that was a hell of a stalk, gotta finish it.” This last year was all of that and a buddy bailing on the hunt with a real sour attitude and facing being in a really remote area solo when I haven’t planned on it.

This next year I’m going to try to put myself in a situation where I have a full freezer going into my mule deer hunt and a time commitment. I’m also going to go solo which I think will be a real help. I’m guilty of trying to bring up moral with a kill when the hunting for the group is going poorly. Anyway, I hear you man and yeah it’s more than physical.