Wilderness and mental health

WRM

WKR
If you find a need for a god (yes, no capital), keep in mind there literally are hundreds of em. Pick one that suits you. At the end of the day, the "teachings" of most are very similar.

In other words, the "teachings" are what are really important, not the "god".

And, ps, you are a god.

Last edited:

Deadfall

WKR
Well bud. Difference between spiritual and religious.
All major religions share a few commonalities.
Fasting, prayer, and meditation. Also happens to be a mainstay of Indian religion.

Every culture has a different description of God.

All peoples throughout time get intouch with tge higherpower/spiritual/inner peace through fasting, prayer. Meditation and helping their fellow man.

Leading troops is usually far different tgen leading civilians.

Most of characters you going to find in outfitter camps are usually young and undisciplined.

I would highly suggest not using booze or dope of any sort in your search for peace.

Good luck to you

I’ve heard people that do it can fall asleep quickly, anyone read or heard that before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRM

WKR
I’ve heard people that do it can fall asleep quickly, anyone read or heard that before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're referring to ayahuasca, or psychedelics in general, I'd imagine so. If you find the inner peace (inner god) you are searching for and resolve personal mental/emotional issues, it stands to reason you'd have an easier time falling asleep. I can fall asleep standing, so I'd not need it for that reason.

TheGDog

WKR
Trouble with falling asleep is related to Anxiety. Depression *can* bring about anxiety though. Depression can manifest in seemingly different opposing ways in different people though. For some, it makes them not wanna get outta bed in the morning, go back to sleeping so they're not thinking. For others... the unhappiness compels them to seek out thrill to distract from the painful thoughts that come back around again when there's nothing to focus upon. As that extreme experience demands intense focus and thus you get these long periods of alleviations while participating in these activities.

Sometimes the boringness or repetitive nature of the lives you must lead in order to have money to meet your responsibilities... and also have a lil leftover to do the things you'd like to try... can leave you feeling very cut off from the world. Sequestered away in an office or in your home having to constantly brainstorm. The repetitive nature of this routine can bring along with it problems you'd never believe would happen to you. Things like sitting there being struck by the thought of "Sh*t... did I take my BP Meds today?" And your days are so alike to one another in many ways that even as you try to review the stream of actions that transpired in this day to attempt to clue you in as to whether or not you were a "good boy" and took your meds so you'll be around longer for your kid... you realize how unsure you are if the one memory you might happen to bring up in your mind's eye was from today? Or yesterday? So then you're like "Well shoot. Dang it. Don't wanna risk Overdosing one of those cause then the double dosing makes ya feel awful. So you end up taking the safe route choice and deciding you'd better wait til tomorrow just to be sure. It's simple isht like that which makes you have the epiphany about the monotony you've got going on. Which makes you look forward even more to your outings.

Shoot.... got all these people now whining at me about how being stuck at home from Covid is making them go nutty. And I'm like "Yeah? And I've been living this way for the last 20 years straight! And THAT's why I Dig on adventure that Hunting can bring!"

TheGDog

WKR
Make sure you stuff cotton balls into the Rx bottle so if they are tablet they don't get broken up a lil from all the movement and banging into each other. Also remember to use what's in the PIll Pak and replacing it with fresh from each months new refill. Being out in the heat can make the efficacy drop off more rapidly than when stored at home. Also if capsules sometimes the heat can cause them to partially melt and want to stick to other nearby meds. But haven't had that happen since began stuffing cotton balls in the bottle, then bottle in zippered pouch, stored in hipbelt pouch. The multiple layers seems to help with sun's energy NOT getting at it and messing with it.

WRM

WKR
Make sure you stuff cotton balls into the Rx bottle so if they are tablet they don't get broken up a lil from all the movement and banging into each other. Also remember to use what's in the PIll Pak and replacing it with fresh from each months new refill. Being out in the heat can make the efficacy drop off more rapidly than when stored at home. Also if capsules sometimes the heat can cause them to partially melt and want to stick to other nearby meds. But haven't had that happen since began stuffing cotton balls in the bottle, then bottle in zippered pouch, stored in hipbelt pouch. The multiple layers seems to help with sun's energy NOT getting at it and messing with it.

Thanks. I don't take any prescription meds. It merely was a suggestion to the prior poster to keep up with his med intake.

Oh Heck that was you. Anyway sounds like you know about Pill Pak. Sorry for the suggestion.

gelton

WKR
Another big part of freeing your mind is not having cell service or access to the outside world unless there is an emergency via in-reach.

I strongly believe that cell towers, wireless technology, etc affect us more than we know. There is nothing like unplugging and freeing your mind for 10-14 days. Makes a huge difference, even more so if solo.

I recently had to put my best friend in the world (a wolf hybrid) down because he had a heat stroke driving down to the coast for a week's vacation. Hell of a way to start a vacation.

The guilt from putting him into a situation that contributed to his death and then having to make the call to put him down is one that I am not sure I will ever get over. Contrary to what some might think, he was 125 lbs and scary as shit looking but he was extremely timid and wouldn't take a step unless I led him there and I feel like I betrayed his trust.

Anyhow, I can't wait for September...probably the most needed mind-clearing event ever for me.

Last edited:
Did 7 years in the Army as a Tanker, during which every issue that I didn’t realize I had, came out tenfold. My self destructive/violent irrational behavior coupled with my propensity for inducing risk, turned me a little wild.
I got out and became a federal Correctional Officer to help fill the hole the Army left. Being a CO this last year and change turned me way worse, hard to calm down sometimes, taking a vengeful approach to people when they would slander or disrespect me, Didnt leave the prison so to speak.
The only thing that has been my therapy is getting all kitted up in my mountain gear and rolling out to somewhere remote. It almost brings me this sort of physical state where I’m in a trance of pure ‘living’. Hard to describe honestly. For me it gives me that gearing up for a mission feeling, that I miss the most from the Army, but the mental clarity and high of being alive in nature.

I just quit my federal job and decided to pursue what brings me that feeling of mental health. I’m going to guide school and hopefully will be hired next year for a season out west of helping as a camp hand with an outfitter. I started to naturally dose with low amounts THC too, seems to literally be perfect for me. Wilderness and a little bit of THC.
I wonder if anyone has any experience with micro-dosing Psilocybin or ‘shrooms’ and how that has helped or didnt for depression.

I feel more sane than I ever have. I wonder if Native American medicine practices would benefit. I’m extremely curious to any native tribes practices, if anyone has any information on that, I’d soak it up.

The wilds truly are therapeutic medicine. I feel like the more time you spend in the wild the closer you get to true consciousness.
Sounds like you are on the right track. However, I would reccomend getting in a good mindset prior to taking on clients. Talking from experience, you will meet all kinds of "interesting" people in your new line of work. They can definitely push your buttons.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Another big part of freeing your mind is not having cell service or access to the outside world unless there is an emergency via in-reach.

I strongly believe that cell towers, wireless technology, etc affect us more than we know. There is nothing like unplugging and freeing your mind for 10-14 days. Makes a huge difference, even more so if solo.

I recently had to put my best friend in the whole world (a wolf hybrid) down because he had a heat stroke driving down to the coast for a week's vacation. Hell of a way to start a vacation.

The guilt from putting him into a situation that contributed to his death and then having to make the call to put him down is one that I am not sure I will ever get over. Contrary to what some might think, he was 125 lbs and scary as shit looking but he was extremely timid and wouldn't take a step unless I led him there and I feel like I betrayed his trust.

Anyhow, I can't wait for September...probably the most needed mind-clearing event ever for me.

Shit happens, he was probably happy to go on the trip. Looks a little aged bu the pics, meaning that is a factor too. You never know what’s guna happen. I had my big tough Rottweiler girl stumble and almost pass out yesterday and she was only out in the sun in Northern Pennsylvania for 2 hours. My point is shit happens man. Stay strong.

It would be hard to imagine your previous profession being good for anyone’s mental health, especially if you have any issues. Being a correctional officer would be a really tuff job to look foreword to when you get up each day. Very tuff work

I would assume any other employment would have a positive impact.

I'm with some others that believe we were made by God and only God can fulfill us. I will also say that getting into hounds will give you a reason to get out there. Becomes a very tight partnership and gives you some company.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I'm with some others that believe we were made by God and only God can fulfill us. I will also say that getting into hounds will give you a reason to get out there. Becomes a very tight partnership and gives you some company.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
The school I’m going to enroll in has a chasing lions with hounds curriculum

GotDraw?

WKR
I would recommend a guiding curriculum that puts you in a position to guide multiple animal types, allowing you to work in multiple states, guiding the kinds of animals that hunters pay well for and where you can make decent money. Be careful of pigeon holing yourself in too narrow of a specialty niche that has few hunters in it.

I'll also echo a comment from a prior poster who implied that not every client or day will be wonderful. I'd say count on this, you'll get all types. I'd encourage you to also consider this- If being in the backcountry gives you peace, will guiding for others taint it? Should you consider a job that has a lot free time/flexibility where you could live near the backcountry and get out in it regularly?

I have never posted anything religious on any site, but I will mention that Quakers believe "there is that-of-God in everyone". In other words, anyone can receive a message from God and share/deliver it. That is why they have silent meetings with no priest/pastor/sermon and the "message" is comprised of the silence and those moved to stand and share messages out of that silence. [note that this more of the Eastern Quakers, mid-west Quakers may have a combination of a pastor leading the meeting and silence/messages]

I was once sitting in a silent Quaker meeting I was visiting in Manhattan, and a man walked in with his little daughter who was perhaps 5 years old. They sat in silence behind me, and about 20 minutes into the 50 minute meeting, the little girl softly whispered to her Dad in an adorable little-girl voice "Daddy, why is everyone so quiet?", without a thought, her dad softly replied "they are listening for the word of God". The little girl seemed very satisfied with this and in her tiny voice softly whispered "oh... I hope I hear the word of God..."

Probably one of the most tender and beautiful moments in my life.

JL

Last edited:

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Did 7 years in the Army as a Tanker, during which every issue that I didn’t realize I had, came out tenfold. My self destructive/violent irrational behavior coupled with my propensity for inducing risk, turned me a little wild.
I got out and became a federal Correctional Officer to help fill the hole the Army left. Being a CO this last year and change turned me way worse, hard to calm down sometimes, taking a vengeful approach to people when they would slander or disrespect me, Didnt leave the prison so to speak.
The only thing that has been my therapy is getting all kitted up in my mountain gear and rolling out to somewhere remote. It almost brings me this sort of physical state where I’m in a trance of pure ‘living’. Hard to describe honestly. For me it gives me that gearing up for a mission feeling, that I miss the most from the Army, but the mental clarity and high of being alive in nature.

I just quit my federal job and decided to pursue what brings me that feeling of mental health. I’m going to guide school and hopefully will be hired next year for a season out west of helping as a camp hand with an outfitter. I started to naturally dose with low amounts THC too, seems to literally be perfect for me. Wilderness and a little bit of THC.
I wonder if anyone has any experience with micro-dosing Psilocybin or ‘shrooms’ and how that has helped or didnt for depression.

I feel more sane than I ever have. I wonder if Native American medicine practices would benefit. I’m extremely curious to any native tribes practices, if anyone has any information on that, I’d soak it up.

The wilds truly are therapeutic medicine. I feel like the more time you spend in the wild the closer you get to true consciousness.
The mountains are balm for the soul. Congrats on ur careers change and soak up your time in the mountains

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider

We each have to find a way to balance our life and mental health. Try different things to see what works best for you. For me it’s definitely like you mentioned looking forward to hunting season and getting all my gear dialed up and preparing myself at least 2 to 3 months early physically for what’s ahead. Like getting ready for a mission it gives me that mental focus to prepare physically which means hitting the gym, waking up early to go for a 3 to 5 mile run, or getting my pack loaded to go for 6 mile hike to start getting my body ready for what’s coming. Once the season starts there is nothing better than being out there with a couple buddies or by yourself out in the wilderness that’s one of the best feelings in the world. Best luck to you and keep us posted to see how guide school went.