Chasing down elk heard with mountain bike?

Limpy88

FNG
I got in to mtn biking spring of 2109. This past fall I got a state park hunt that has a ton of paved trails. brought my bike and one of my trailers to get to the other side of the park quicker. I was told to not ride on non trail areas, but I could walk anywear during the hunting dates only.
Wanting to do a elk hunt for the first time this year (no elk to shoot in Indiana). My current thought is to bring my bike a few days early to find a herd and follow on the bike. Then get off the bike and stalk when the season starts. Are bikes allowed on non trail areas on public land in CO, ID, UT. Or is even following and searching before season not legal.

bsnedeker

WKR
I got in to mtn biking spring of 2109. This past fall I got a state park hunt that has a ton of paved trails. brought my bike and one of my trailers to get to the other side of the park quicker. I was told to not ride on non trail areas, but I could walk anywear during the hunting dates only.
Wanting to do a elk hunt for the first time this year (no elk to shoot in Indiana). My current thought is to bring my bike a few days early to find a herd and follow on the bike. Then get off the bike and stalk when the season starts. Are bikes allowed on non trail areas on public land in CO, ID, UT. Or is even following and searching before season not legal.

Bikes are not allowed off trail anywhere that i am aware of.

You can certainly scout for elk before season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Legally your are supposed to stay on trails approved for bicycles, I’ve seen a ton of bicycles off of trails and when the USFS finds out they start shutting more down. They require us as outfitters to report any illegal activity, stay on bicycle approved trails and do what you’re talking, otherwise good luck taking a bike off of approved trails and following elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtn Bikes are not allowed in forest service wilderness areas at all, not even on the trails. Big fine when caught. Not sure about BLM's laws. Also Travel Management does pertain to Mtn Bikes and each national forest will have it's own policy regarding mtn bikes on roads and trails.

I find an advantage having a mtn bike on gated roads closed to motorized vehicles and also washed out roads. Never have chased elk with my mtn bike as that really doesn't work. I use mine to get in the general area I want to hunt and for packing out meat.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not sure where you’re hunting, but where I hunt you’re not following a herd off trail. Not to mention it’s a dumb idea because even if you could why? Walking is so much easier than tried to ride a bike at walking speed.

OP
Limpy88

Limpy88

FNG
Not sure where you’re hunting, but where I hunt you’re not following a herd off trail. Not to mention it’s a dumb idea because even if you could why? Walking is so much easier than tried to ride a bike at walking speed.
more about covering more ground. so many ppl they say they walk 20 miles a day and see no elk for the first 6 days. If I could cover ground and find them in 3 days and be less tired and a easier pack out why not.
I think you'd have to be like this good.
View attachment 248187
nothing like that in the midwest.

Do you know how many places in CO IF you covered 20 miles you’d be crossing roads, trailheads all that. My unit if I rode 20 miles I’d start at one trailhead and pass the trailhead coming in the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
more about covering more ground. so many ppl they say they walk 20 miles a day and see no elk for the first 6 days. If I could cover ground and find them in 3 days and be less tired and a easier pack out why not.

nothing like that in the midwest.
If true, guaranteed they aren't on a trail suitable, or legal, for a mtn bike.

bsnedeker

WKR
This very much sounds like you haven't been out west before or hunted elk. Some might disagree but I consider hunting with a bike a somewhat advanced technique that can work well if you know an area pretty well and know what areas you are trying to access. For your first elk hunt I think you would find the bike more of a hindrance than a help.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ridgefire

WKR
20 mile days are plenty doable on a elk hunt, just not always necessary. We use mountain bikes to get to our basecamp which is approx. 4 miles from the trailhead but then park them. Mt bikes can save alot of time in some areas but most times its more work than its worth.

Power

FNG
You are going to need to look into each spot and the specific regulations. I use them in Idaho and Washington and it works great to access certain areas. I would lean more towards accessing areas maybe not following the heard but you never know.

Eluder

FNG
I'm fairly new to elk hunting but have been a avid mountain biker for over 2 decades. As others have said using it as an access tool to get to camp is really where they can be best utilized. Riding with a lot of gear is not easy though. Most bike legal areas by me have snow by the time hunting season rolls around unless you are thinking bow. Keep in mind the trails will likely be more technical out west than Indiana, that's not meant as a dig but just reality.

I have ridden myself into the middle of a heard once by accident. Its a small local herd and they could care less I was there. I was within 20-30 feet of a probably 10 animals, this was mid to late summer though and the elk don't hang out there during hunting season and its a private easement so no hunting anyway.

lots of symantics on here. The op needs to read some regs and look at where bikes are legal and not legal and also, needs to be more specific on his questions, but with that said, i have done what you are asking and have gotten multiple 6x7 bulls that way. it works, works well when used in the correct area. peddle in and glass, peddle some more and glass.

yes, we know mtn bikes are not allowed in congressionally designated wilderness areas, but the op never asked that and there is way more general forest than designated wilderness.

Everywhere is different as far as terrain and trail conditions. I’ve hunted a lot of different places and in my opinion a gated road is the only place that I would have a use for a mountain bike. The trails can sometimes be doable on a bike but not with a daypack and a weapon and you’re certainly not using one to pack out an elk. You have to keep in mind that it’s always a level playing field meaning if you can use a bike so can other hunters and even if they don’t a gated road or easy trail means easier walking. I’d rather just hunt where access is a little more challenging so I can just put boots on the ground and leave most people behind. Of all my areas in Montana and Wyoming I only know 2 spots where I might use my fat bike.

yes, we know mtn bikes are not allowed in congressionally designated wilderness areas, but the op never asked that and there is way more general forest than designated wilderness.
Not everybody knows that mtn bikes are illegal in wilderness areas or are ignorant to the fact that they are. You'd be surprised.