Chasing down elk heard with mountain bike?

Seeknelk

WKR
I have lived and hunted in Colorado for 16 years now. I use my mountain bike every year for hunting, but it almost never gets used for elk hunting. The spots I normally hunt are just too steep, too rugged, have too much blowdown, etc. to really consider taking a bike.
Where the bike shines for me; spring bear hunting in Montana, where I can run deep into closed logging roads. I also use my bike out in Nebraska and in eastern Colorado, getting back on closed roads or way on the other side of big corn fields and stuff like that. For accessing closed roads, a bike is money.
On the topic of hammocks. I know guys that do it, but Colorado high country is really not the ideal environment for a hammock. In fact, if you are not an experienced hammock sleeper, a hammock can get you in trouble quick. People from back East don’t realize how low the humidity can be in the high country. Add to that a 20mph wind and the temps dropping into 20’s or 30’s at night, and it will absolutely zap all your body heat in short order. It is NOT the same as sleeping in a hammock in 20 or 30 degrees in the east with high humidity. Another consideration is deadfall. In many places I hunt, if you are in the trees enough to string a hammock up, you are also likely in the potential path a dead tree falling on you! There are just too many ultralight tarps, one man tents, etc. out there, that a hammock just doesn’t offer any benefit over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to nit pick ya ..but high humidity in the cold is far worse than low humidity in the cold. Damp, cold weather chills you far faster than dry, cold weather. Hammock is do able if you are experienced. But you still need major insulation like a underquilt, top quilt, and YOU NEED a tarp. So basically you can always find a tent/ground system for lighter weight for comparable warmth. Bike works in some places . Not for running down elk tho. Bring it and see if it works for ya. Maybe cover some terrain on nicer trails and roads to locate by sight or sounds.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Not to nit pick ya ..but high humidity in the cold is far worse than low humidity in the cold. Damp, cold weather chills you far faster than dry, cold weather. Hammock is do able if you are experienced. But you still need major insulation like a underquilt, top quilt, and YOU NEED a tarp. So basically you can always find a tent/ground system for lighter weight for comparable warmth. Bike works in some places . Not for running down elk tho. Bring it and see if it works for ya. Maybe cover some terrain on nicer trails and roads to locate by sight or sounds.
I think what I am talking about is how quickly low humidity cold can "sneak up" on you. If you are out in the cold and damp, its going to feel colder for sure, but don't overlook how dangerous low humidity cold can get you. For example, hiking up to a glassing spot, getting sweaty, and then stopping. The sweat evaporates much quicker in low humidity dry air, which will in turn, make you feel cold quickly. It won't be that full time, bone chilling cold you experience back east, but its the kind of cold that can just suddenly be there.
I have only hammock camped a few times, mainly when I was in the Army. I remember nights in the desert, and older NCOs saying that you'll freeze to death, LOL. I remember freezing my ass off bundled up in everything I had with me in a hammock. Then, going to my pad on the ground, and sleeping soundly. My point was, if you are not experienced with hammock sleeping, it will zap your body heat quick, and at least from my experience, that seems to happen faster in a dry cold climate. I had slept in a hammock in GA many nights, and was fine once I got into my bag or wrapped up in my poncho liner.

Humidity affect how cold, and hot, it gets. I've got 30-degree temperature swings in 20% RH today.

tylerwhat

FNG
Unfortunately, a bicycle cannot be used for hunting on public lands. I was recently inspired by one article, and i found this blog helpful. I decided to buy a similar bike model and go hunting in public lands. However, I then had to pay a fine, and since then, I haven't taken bike hunting anymore. Hahaha, it was an excellent lesson for me. Although I asked many old people about this, they told me that they sometimes use bicycles themselves. Still, they do it at night and only when no one is watching, haha. Old school, as they say.
Just curious, what state are you in? And, did you get the fine for riding off trail, or just for being on a bike while hunting? I've been considering using a bike (staying on legal mtb trails) to get deeper in certain areas, and wasn't aware of any limitations on hunting.

Just curious, what state are you in? And, did you get the fine for riding off trail, or just for being on a bike while hunting? I've been considering using a bike (staying on legal mtb trails) to get deeper in certain areas, and wasn't aware of any limitations on hunting.

That's gotta be a bot you're responding to.

more about covering more ground. so many ppl they say they walk 20 miles a day and see no elk for the first 6 days. If I could cover ground and find them in 3 days and be less tired and a easier pack out why not.

nothing like that in the midwest.
I don't think you'll find a lot of love for bikes on this forum.

I took my mtn bike on one elk hunt years ago with the same thought - that at least I might be able to cover some ground and get away from other hunters. I did to some degree, but it was tough finding legal routes of access that weren't too steep and rocky to even use the bike. So after that I ditched the idea.

If you know of a legal route of access ahead of time that will work, I say go for it. But finding one once you're there AND finding elk in the same area would just require too much luck.

I have used my mountain bike on NF here in SE Texas many times. It's a solid strategy because of so many locked gates on FS roads that are closed to motor vehicles but open to bikes. You can ride in 2-3 miles in a matter of minutes, then stash the bike and start hunting on foot. Makes it easy to pack meat out too. But these roads are in good shape and are relatively level. I've yet to find anything like that in country that holds elk during the season.

GotDraw?

WKR
@Limpy88 -

When I was in high school, I was a licensed, competitive Criterium cyclist. Middle of the pack, but far stronger and faster than the average fast-guy. In my 20s I raced competitive MX in 125 class because I didn't have time to train for cycling, definitely got my reflexes tuned up. In my 30s and 40s, I raced ultra-distance road cycling, training 450 miles/week. During that ultradistance timeframe, I did some mountain biking and raced a 24hrs of Adrenaline mtn bike race at Winter Park, CO. The course went from about 8,000ft to 10k ft. I was in shape and it was an ass kicker. I also archery hunt CO and frequently hammock camp during archery season.

I can weigh-in with some authority

Here are your challenges:

• I'll start with the conclusion - don't plan to mtn bike-hunt an area you've not been to before. The deck is too heavily stacked against you. You may find you've wasted days of time trying to tailor your hunt to your great desire to mtn bike hunt and looking for places you can try to ride to find elk-- all of that effort instead of boot hiking and actually looking for elk. Pick an area, hunt it by truck and on foot, learn it and then hunt by bike next year. OR- spend a couple weeks scouting this summer with boots on the ground in July/Aug timeframe so you can bike it in Sept.
    • If you are dead-set on mtn bike hunting, hunt in a state and GMU you've been to and with road systems and trail systems you know you can access, also with wide open vistas along trails so you can glass. MOST areas will not offer this combination of attributes.
  • You have not hunted CO elk, you may need to learn how CO hiking trail systems generally work:
    • Many CO hiking trails that get you from valleys to high elevation start climbing uphill from a valley road or trailhead, going uphill via "creek drainages/valleys bottoms", these are often in the bottoms of valleys with creek flowing downhill from up-mtn. You generally can't see anything around you from those types of trails due to trees in the drainage. Thinking you can chase a herd from ascending/descending drainage trails would be a waste of time.
      • Most hunting happens when you are off the main drainage trail and on small game trails that often contour and head from/to 4 MAIN AREAS OF ELK CONCERN: FOOD, WATER, SHELTER, SEX.
      • You will hunt from game trails when you are lucky to find them, or you will be completely off trail. Those game trails almost always have too much blow down to make them practical for a bike.
      • Thinking you will a chase herd off trail won't work, pushing your bike around while steep side-hilling and climbing deadfall will turn you into a quitter fast. I am not a quitter and I would not waste my time on this.
      • If you were able to get your bike onto a mountain top, then you might be able to ride across the ridge if you're above the treeline and make good time, but you'll be at 10k-12k, feet and it will kick your aerobic ass. Furthermore, there will be no trails and off-trail riding is not allowed, so now what do you do with your bike?
        • Hunting often takes you (on foot) into an area on one game trail and the next thing you know (hours later), you're coming out at a completely different elevation on a different trail.
          • First time you hike a couple hours off-trail chasing elk only to find you have to hike 3 miles up hill at night to retrieve your bike, you may reconsider your strategy.
  • You'll be riding at 7-11k ft, there will be 20-30% less oxygen at altitude and you will be drained whenever you climb. If you think you're tough, carrying even a "light" 20lb day pack on steep CO climb will kick your midwestern, low elevation livin' ass.
  • Many trails and even entire areas don't allow bikes at all
    • Those that do, you'll have a very hard time carrying enough gear to overnight. Too much weight
  • Regarding Hammock Camping- love it. Plenty warm with a down under-quilt and works super well where it's too steep to find a level spot for a tent. Fast/Easy to find a spot to hang almost anywhere- This is SUPER helpful when it's dark. When it's still daylight, it's easy to find a little flat spot for a tent. At night, in steep terrain, you can burn an hour hiking up and downhill when you're already exhausted to find a flat spot for a tent. Hunting elk, you're often chasing them until dark, then exhausted and looking for a fast place to set camp. Hammock camping can be awesome. But lots of folks just don't like it.
JL

Last edited:
Bike would be of very little use anywhere I've hunted in Colorado. There are a few places where I've ridden my fat bike on ATV trails that are too narrow for my truck. The downside I've seen is that while covering ground faster I'm also sweating a lot more. I can moderate my speed on foot to keep from souping out all my clothing and my pack but on a bike sometimes you gotta really pour the coals to er to get up a climb and then I'm soaked and getting cold as soon as I get off the bike to start hunting. I also don't like having a bulky pack (even my hunting day pack is bulky compared to my normal MTB camelback) with my weapon strapped on the back. I feel vulnerable to something bad happening there.

Every time I read the title of this thread I laugh and picture some greenhorn flying out of control down a mountain unable to stop with eyes as big as silver dollars and the sound of elk laughing as they trot off effortlessly. 😂

saw the herd at last light, pulled the rifle, peddled, coasted in hard to the middle of the clear cut, dropped down prone and dropped the 6x7. Sometimes, it is not always done the correct way of the rokslide.
picture taken the next day when packing out.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    607.3 KB · Views: 18

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Sure, you can winter hammock camp...if you want.

I guess I didn’t express my thoughts well, which is that a hammock has no place in the elk mountains in September imo.

I’m gathering you are pretty green when it comes to elk hunting?
Some good advice so far, much of which can cut your learning curve by quite a bit.
15 degree mornings are fairly common in September for us, and perfect for our pre dawn hikes to glassing peaks.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
I asked are bikes allowed on public hunting land in co, id and ut. And is it legal to follow herds before season.

You are extremely off base with you assumption. I described my local trails. And my some of my fitness routine. Not everywhere I have been or everything I have done. If i can desricbe some of my local trails as technical, a less "gotta shove my opinion" person might have realized, I have been other places to form a basis on what is and isn't.
Dont assume my limits are your limits. But you wouldn't be the first.
Apparently I'm saying potato and some of you are reading tomato. That ok.
The west is as diverse as it is vast. We harvest our elk in what could be best understood as mountain goat terrain and we see mountain goats every day. Bikes are allowed on one trail through our area and I have never seen one as they would likely not survive. I have seen dirt bikes twice and they were dressed like a gladiator before battle.

Now there is a high desert place we take our RV to and mountain bikes, we see tons of mulies there and it is known for low density population of elk with some monster bulls. BLM land and bikes allowed on numerous jeep trails. That is terrain that would work great with the setup you are considering.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
@Limpy88 -

When I was in high school, I was a licensed, competitive Criterium cyclist. Middle of the pack, but far stronger and faster than the average fast-guy. In my 20s I raced competitive MX in 125 class because I didn't have time to train for cycling, definitely got my reflexes tuned up. In my 30s and 40s, I raced ultra-distance road cycling, training 450 miles/week. During that ultradistance timeframe, I did some mountain biking and raced a 24hrs of Adrenaline mtn bike race at Winter Park, CO. The course went from about 8,000ft to 10k ft. I was in shape and it was an ass kicker. I also archery hunt CO and frequently hammock camp during archery season.

I can weigh-in with some authority

Here are your challenges:

• I'll start with the conclusion - don't plan to mtn bike-hunt an area you've not been to before. The deck is too heavily stacked against you. You may find you've wasted days of time trying to tailor your hunt to your great desire to mtn bike hunt and looking for places you can try to ride to find elk-- all of that effort instead of boot hiking and actually looking for elk. Pick an area, hunt it by truck and on foot, learn it and then hunt by bike next year. OR- spend a couple weeks scouting this summer with boots on the ground in July/Aug timeframe so you can bike it in Sept.
    • If you are dead-set on mtn bike hunting, hunt in a state and GMU you've been to and with road systems and trail systems you know you can access, also with wide open vistas along trails so you can glass. MOST areas will not offer this combination of attributes.
  • You have not hunted CO elk, you may need to learn how CO hiking trail systems generally work:
    • Many CO hiking trails that get you from valleys to high elevation start climbing uphill from a valley road or trailhead, going uphill via "creek drainages/valleys bottoms", these are often in the bottoms of valleys with creek flowing downhill from up-mtn. You generally can't see anything around you from those types of trails due to trees in the drainage. Thinking you can chase a herd from ascending/descending drainage trails would be a waste of time.
      • Most hunting happens when you are off the main drainage trail and on small game trails that often contour and head from/to 4 MAIN AREAS OF ELK CONCERN: FOOD, WATER, SHELTER, SEX.
      • You will hunt from game trails when you are lucky to find them, or you will be completely off trail. Those game trails almost always have too much blow down to make them practical for a bike.
      • Thinking you will a chase herd off trail won't work, pushing your bike around while steep side-hilling and climbing deadfall will turn you into a quitter fast. I am not a quitter and I would not waste my time on this.
      • If you were able to get your bike onto a mountain top, then you might be able to ride across the ridge if you're above the treeline and make good time, but you'll be at 10k-12k, feet and it will kick your aerobic ass. Furthermore, there will be no trails and off-trail riding is not allowed, so now what do you do with your bike?
        • Hunting often takes you (on foot) into an area on one game trail and the next thing you know (hours later), you're coming out at a completely different elevation on a different trail.
          • First time you hike a couple hours off-trail chasing elk only to find you have to hike 3 miles up hill at night to retrieve your bike, you may reconsider your strategy.
  • You'll be riding at 7-11k ft, there will be 20-30% less oxygen at altitude and you will be drained whenever you climb. If you think you're tough, carrying even a "light" 20lb day pack on steep CO climb will kick your midwestern, low elevation livin' ass.
  • Many trails and even entire areas don't allow bikes at all
    • Those that do, you'll have a very hard time carrying enough gear to overnight. Too much weight
  • Regarding Hammock Camping- love it. Plenty warm with a down under-quilt and works super well where it's too steep to find a level spot for a tent. Fast/Easy to find a spot to hang almost anywhere- This is SUPER helpful when it's dark. When it's still daylight, it's easy to find a little flat spot for a tent. At night, in steep terrain, you can burn an hour hiking up and downhill when you're already exhausted to find a flat spot for a tent. Hunting elk, you're often chasing them until dark, then exhausted and looking for a fast place to set camp. Hammock camping can be awesome. But lots of folks just don't like it.
JL
Considered trying out hammock camping as we some times carry hammocks in the summer and love them for a nap, then looked into and realized cost was considerable to outfit family of 4. Your points on not having to find level ground for a tent make a ton of sense