"Cheap" bags and temp ratings

I understand that some companies use comfort ratings and some use survival ratings, and I would guess most of the cheaper bags use survival ratings since it makes the bag sound warmer than it really is, but my question is this:

Are zero degree rated bags from Kelty, Big Agnes, Alps, REI, Wiggys, Slumberjack, etc all the same warmth?

Nope. There is no universally accepted and utilized manufacturing guideline, R ratings are grossly exaggerated by some. Wiggy's ratings are dead on IMO but you pay the weight & bulk penalty. In AK they are the only bags you'll find sold everywhere. When I am heading into damp/wet conditions I take a Wiggy's. Why? This video is why.

Are zero degree rated bags from Kelty, Big Agnes, Alps, REI, Wiggys, Slumberjack, etc all the same warmth?

For most bags from Big Agnes, REI, and Kelty-- pretty much, yes. For the others-- no. There is independent an EN/ISO testing standard that gives tested bags a Comfort rating and a Lower Limit rating, but not all companies submit their bags for testing, so you'll have to look at reviews to see if those ones are true-to-rating like the ISO tested bags.

Last edited:

baevx8

FNG
I had the same question as the OP. A ton of lower-end bags with 0 degree ratings for a portion of the cost of lightweight, high-end down bags. Thanks for the input.

zacattack

WKR
I had the same question as the OP. A ton of lower-end bags with 0 degree ratings for a portion of the cost of lightweight, high-end down bags. Thanks for the input.
I have a 0 degree cabelas bag, a 0 degree feathered friends and like a 30 degree Walmart special. The cabelas is good to about freezing. The Walmart to in the 50’s. I think if I ever get cold in my feathered friends some serious shit has happened. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I wouldn’t trust the ratings on lower end bags.

Go to various sites and look at the specified temperature ratings for individual bags. You’ll quickly find out which brands use the T-limit and which ones use the T-comfort. You’ll then get an idea of the delta between the two ratings.

There are usually sales throughout the year so you can typically get a solid mid-grade for a damn good price.

OP
cornfedkiller
What about synthetic vs down?

Looking at a zero degree Big Agnes bag, and guessing the synthetic is just heavier and bulkier, but is the warmth the same as a down bag?

What about synthetic vs down?

Looking at a zero degree Big Agnes bag, and guessing the synthetic is just heavier and bulkier, but is the warmth the same as a down bag?
Look at their EN temperature ratings and compare that way. Do like for like.

Yes, an advertised 0* synthetic bag can be warmer than an advertised 0* down bag. A 0* t-comfort bag is going to be warmer than a 0* t-limit down bag. Best to pay attention to details as they can bite you.

bubbay

FNG
Nope. There is no universally accepted and utilized manufacturing guideline, R ratings are grossly exaggerated by some. Wiggy's ratings are dead on IMO but you pay the weight & bulk penalty. In AK they are the only bags you'll find sold everywhere. When I am heading into damp/wet conditions I take a Wiggy's. Why? This video is why.

so agree wiggys is spot on if only the rookies knew

rclouse79

WKR
I posted this in a different thread, but I think it is a good buy for a zero degree bag. I have yet to use it in cold weather, but if feels like it will be warmer than my 20 degree Sierra designs bag. I don’t know if it is still available but the same bag at rei and cabelas was $100 more.

Attachments

• A66A6953-210F-4358-A75E-1B0935E8F0C8.jpeg
    A66A6953-210F-4358-A75E-1B0935E8F0C8.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 17

rclouse79

WKR
A trick I use is to bring a lighter bag and wear a puffy jacket to bed. I have been toasty down into the teens with my 20 degree bag and my big puffy down coat. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to get up in the morning too.

Last edited:
There is a lot to be said for waking up toasty and staying that way while making the coffee...nuther plus for the Wiggy's.

Wiggys Freedom Shelter Ultralite poncho.jpgWiggys Freedom Shelter Ultralite.jpg