Cheap Stuff that Works

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
Older thread, but I’ll keep it going....
Buy mountain house in bulk, separate it into individual meals and then vacuum seal it. You can get a 10-meal can for about the same cost as a 4-pack of the individual meals.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Older thread, but I’ll keep it going....
Buy mountain house in bulk, separate it into individual meals and then vacuum seal it. You can get a 10-meal can for about the same cost as a 4-pack of the individual meals.

****when all the preppers aren’t hoarding it and driving the prices of the #10 cans through the roof, as we saw a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great GREAT thread.

Closed cell foam gardening pad to sit and glass from--keeps me warmer, dryer, hunting longer. Basically weightless, basically free at any home/garden store.

Dryer lint impregnated w/ vasolene in a used Aireborne container wrapped in duct tape (just cause film canisters ain't so common). I tested side by side and dryer lint lit and burned better than cotton balls for me.

Electrical tape over the muzzle of my rifle. Forgot once and found myself alone and a long way from nowhere on Baranov trying to get muskeg mud out of my barrel with just a long twig and the force of my own lungs (yes I took the bolt out first).

Woodmo

FNG

I've used this extensively as a midlayer and really love it. If it had a hood it'd be unbeatable. You can occasionally find them for ~$12ish dollars on that site.
Thanks a ton, ordered one to check them out. I now own 3 and have another 1 in my Amazon cart. Great layering piece.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Keeping with the "Cheap clothes" that work. My dad's looking for some inexpensive western style hunting clothes. Any suggestions?

My dad, brother and I are heading to MT next Sept for our first crack at elk. Guided wilderness, rifle hunt on horses, 3rd week of September.

My dad (67 yrs old) camo is all tree stand hunting camo and is designed for maximum warmth while sitting still. He is looking for inexpensive western style clothes that are affordable. He's not looking at doing this full time, so things like Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu are probably out of his price range.

Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

I've been watching this thread for things like the Wrangler pants, the M-65 puffy underlayers. He's got 6 Black Ovis 150gr merino (short sleeve, long sleeve and long sleeve w/good.) But he's looking for some other outer wear pieces.

Suggestions?

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Keeping with the "Cheap clothes" that work. My dad's looking for some inexpensive western style hunting clothes. Any suggestions?

My dad, brother and I are heading to MT next Sept for our first crack at elk. Guided wilderness, rifle hunt on horses, 3rd week of September.

My dad (67 yrs old) camo is all tree stand hunting camo and is designed for maximum warmth while sitting still. He is looking for inexpensive western style clothes that are affordable. He's not looking at doing this full time, so things like Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu are probably out of his price range.

I've been watching this thread for things like the Wrangler pants, the M-65 puffy underlayers. He's got 6 Black Ovis 150gr merino (short sleeve, long sleeve and long sleeve w/good.) But he's looking for some other outer wear pieces.

Suggestions?
similar the the response above me, I’d recommend the Eddie Bauer guide pro pants (they just came out with camo if you like, but slate green is a great solid) and the Eddie Bauer cirruslite down jacket. Both can be had for sales around $40 or less. Never pay full price for Eddie Bauer stuff.

Not everything should cost an arm and a leg. Post any inexpensive stuff you’d recommend that just flat works.

I’ll start with a Mora 711. ~4.5 oz with sheath, easy to sharpen (and resharpen in field), and the textured rubberized grip is fantastic. Easy to grip and your hand doesn’t tire after several hours of boning.

$15

Mora 711 Carbon Steel 4 Inch

228ccc3d794989a4daff06c8af9b3ead.jpg

Heavy duty window shrink wrap - makes a great meat tarp or even a groundsheet. With some duct tape you could probably rig an emergency shelter.

6 oz for a 5’ x 10’ sheet, can be cut to size.

$7.94

7a49c143892f0f40c412fc01231edfd6.jpg

Duluth trading company
Not everything should cost an arm and a leg. Post any inexpensive stuff you’d recommend that just flat works.

I’ll start with a Mora 711. ~4.5 oz with sheath, easy to sharpen (and resharpen in field), and the textured rubberized grip is fantastic. Easy to grip and your hand doesn’t tire after several hours of boning.

$15

Mora 711 Carbon Steel 4 Inch

228ccc3d794989a4daff06c8af9b3ead.jpg

Heavy duty window shrink wrap - makes a great meat tarp or even a groundsheet. With some duct tape you could probably rig an emergency shelter.

6 oz for a 5’ x 10’ sheet, can be cut to size.

$7.94

7a49c143892f0f40c412fc01231edfd6.jpg

Duluth trading co flex fire hose pants - $80. Not exactly cheap, but half what you’d spend on FL, Kuiu, etc. They have other options as well, depending on what season you’re hunting

Cheap little LED light! Very bright with a regular AA, but a FIREBALL with a rechargeable AA... Lumintop from Amazon. Pardon the home inspector pics but you get the idea!

Attachments

• 6AA36D69-C32C-43AD-A2EB-5CB0BBCA2EF9.jpeg
    6AA36D69-C32C-43AD-A2EB-5CB0BBCA2EF9.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 177
  • BB23E7B7-C071-4CA7-AECA-AE41D9D86843.jpeg
    BB23E7B7-C071-4CA7-AECA-AE41D9D86843.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 180

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add this. These woman's hair ties are elastic and work great for lashing things to a pack or bino harness without having to fool with Velcro. I use them to hold my trekking poles and tent stakes to the outside of my pack. It's like $3 for a lifetime supply. Even less if you can sneak them off the Boss's changing table while she's in the shower. :)

6d7a9568-fee2-4817-9d90-420ceb6eae65_1.4f88d985c5751874e6a536cd6b331a84.jpeg

stump06

WKR
^^^^ Ive used them before when my watch band holder broke. Almost as many uses as a zip tie

as.ks.ak

WKR
For all you lovers of the Swazi Hood, how's it do with stink? @as.ks.ak

I haven’t taken it in a long trip yet. But I’ve definitely worn it from wet to dry...I stunk but I’m fairly certain it had something to do with the 10 year old stinky goat and the funky grizz hides I’d been working on. That Swazi hood may be replacing a kuiu peloton....I LOVE the long back for when I put a pack on.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t taken it in a long trip yet. But I’ve definitely worn it from wet to dry...I stunk but I’m fairly certain it had something to do with the 10 year old stinky goat and the funky grizz hides I’d been working on. That Swazi hood may be replacing a kuiu peloton....I LOVE the long back for when I put a pack on.

Is the Swazi not much thicker than the Peloton? I did not think they were all that similar. Was about to buy the 240 but the Swazi looks nice. Can you layer with the Swazi?

as.ks.ak

WKR
Is the Swazi not much thicker than the Peloton? I did not think they were all that similar. Was about to buy the 240 but the Swazi looks nice. Can you layer with the Swazi?

Oh no the Swazi is MUCH thicker. I’d only be putting rain or puffy layers over the top of it.

Suggestions?
I’ve been running the wranglers for a couple seasons now and just got a pair of the blackovis pants, I like the cut on them a lot better, more comfortable in the thighs, so depending on your build that are another option. Also keep an eye on pnumas outlet page, kryptek has been running 2 sale items a week via Instagram and I’ve heard good things about beyond clothing but no personal experience with their gear

Last edited: