Cheaper Merino base layers

isu22andy

WKR
I have really taken a kind to using merino as base layers in my everyday messing around here in Iowa.Usually just the bottoms when im out trapping or goose hunting or general outside activites in the winter. I dont need any fancy camo patterns or any of that jazz. Is there anyone who makes good quality merino without the heavy price tag of first lite and sitka ? I have some Minus 33 ones now that I love but they were also 80-90 bucks a garment which seems somewhat crazy. Whats the options ?

Andy

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
The black ovis merino gets really good reviews. My hunting buddy uses it. He is new to hunting but has backpacked his whole adult life, and has used a variety of synthetics and the black ovis merino. He speaks very highly of it, stating the wide temperature range it can work in. Their retail price is not cheap, but they run good sales frequently. If you catch it on sale its about $45 for the more expensive pieces.

Sam's club sells omni wool base layers at $12-13 per piece. It looks ok, but the blend is pretty low on merino content. I think its 80% polyester 20% merino. I might try some. this winter. For the price its probably worth the gamble.

Agross

WKR
Black ovis comes up cheaper on camofire often.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yup this. Nothing wrong with them. I have minus 33, first lite, and black ovis. I use my minus 33 and first lite more for hunting and my black ovis more for everything else. I have had them for a few years and they have held up great. I got them on camofire.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Paradox merino blend, not a lot of merino but does well not stinking.

I used the Omni-wool years ago, it’s a thicker warmer piece. The top was cut short and didn’t have much stretch. Bottoms were decent. That was about 8 years ago so maybe they updated the top?

Kings camo makes some or used to and they have sales often.

Skre is probably my favorite non blended merino right now. Not much cheaper but they run sales more often than the big hunting brands.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most merino goes on sale at some point. Sierra Trading Post has different brands often. A few years ago Cabela's was clearing out their Icebreaker/Cabela's branded merino shirts for under $20.......normally $60-$70 each. I bought four to try them. I wish I had bought a dozen. When I got them and saw how soft and comfortable they were, I tried to buy more but they were already gone. You don't have to pay a ton for quality merino, you just have to buy when it's the right price for the right merino.

One more vote for the black Ovis at the price point it’s hard to beat. Been using it in Alaska for my ski base layer this season working out well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can sometimes catch the Smartwool base layers on sale at Sierra Trading. I bought a set last fall for about $90.

ljalberta

WKR
Costco is 20$ for 100% merino tops. They are definitely not quality though. I usually wear through a few pairs a year.

Sturgeon

WKR
Second STP. You can get Terramar brand shirts on Sierra Trading Post for between $25-30. They also usually have Icebreaker, Smartwool, and other more notable brands in stock regularly. There is a discount code posted in the gear deals section of the forum that gets updated almost everyday.

b_young

FNG
Maybe I'm all alone on this, but my Black Ovis SS Tee is pretty itchy. Maybe I need to break it in some more. I have a long sleeve quarter zip from Ice Breaker that I wear all the time and has had no itch from day 1. I got it off of one of those pro deal sites for a good discount. Also got Cabelas/Icebreaker top and bottom base layers on a BIG sale from Cabela's Bargain Cave website. I've seen much better deals on the bargain cave website than I have in-store, but that was before the merge. A trick I have learned is when you are wanting to look for a deal on a specific brand, just google the brand name and "pro deal" after it (ex: icebreaker pro deal). I've came across a couple different pro deal websites this way that I would have never heard of otherwise.
I'm also a big fan of STP