Cheek Piece or not on hunting rifle?

Bughalli

WKR
I have a Rem 700 in 300wsm that is purely a hunting rifle. This year I'm doing some upgrades. Planning to order a McMillian Scout stock. I've never used a cheek piece in the past, but I never practiced past 300yrds either. So shot placement wasn't an issue at that distance. I would like to practice out to 600 yards and a cheek piece makes sense to me for consistency. Much like a peep sight and consistent anchor point do in archery. Given I'm buying the stock I feel pressure to decide on a cheek piece now. Are they worth it for a hunting outfit?

I'll probably go with a lower profile scope. Something 3-18 power, 44mm or maybe 50mm objective. I prefer the lighter weight of 44mm. Narrowing in on vortex pst, Swarovski or Leupold v6.

KMD

Banned
IMHO, you add height to the stock's comb to get a consistnet sight picture through your scope. If you are runnin' a big objective scope, and/or canted rail and md/high rings, you'll find the comb hieght of many stocks will be lacking. Only way to know is to see how your rifle/scope combo fits your face...

When you determine you need more height @ comb, you've got options. Run a stock pack, add a cheek piece, or have an adjustable cheekrest fitted into your McMillan. I've got all three options on different rifles, and they all work for me. Just different means to the same end...which is getting your eye centered in the scope ;)

Here's an example of a Karsten's Kydex cheekpiece I installed on my .22-243's Micky GameScout stock.
Spring2013032_zps1c327888.jpg

Lightweight, cheap enough, and easy to install...

Lots of options out there. Let your face and your rifle tell you what and how much height you need, and go from there!
Good luck & have fun...

Last edited:
OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
Yeah, sounds like I'm jumping ahead at this point. I could always have one installed after I've shot it with the new stock. Maybe I won't need one.

WKR
My Mcmillan Remington Hunter stock is pretty nice and has a high comb. Worth a thought as well.