Chimney sweep equipment recommendations?

MHWASH

WKR
I've always borrowed a sweep for my chimney, but it has moved out of town with it's owner. I've looked online, but it sure would be nice to see one in person before ordering. My chimneys are brick with a clay liner, 6x8". Does anybody have a particular model they recommend?

I've always borrowed a sweep for my chimney, but it has moved out of town with it's owner. I've looked online, but it sure would be nice to see one in person before ordering. My chimneys are brick with a clay liner, 6x8". Does anybody have a particular model they recommend?
I just use a regular metal bristle chimney brush with fiberglass poles. My in laws use one that they got off Amazon that connects to a cordless drill. Their bristles are nylon. I have a short roof, so it's not a big deal to get up and clean from the top. They have a tall, 2 story house and my FIL cleans his from the bottom up.

I just bought a brush (the flat wire brushes do work better). I do have fiberglass rods but they don’t work well for me.. actually need to just sell them. So I bought a loop adapter for the bottom that screws on the male threads.

What I do is I take the brush and two ropes up in the roof. I tie the ropes to both ends.. then drop one rope down the chimney and have a kid in the basement pull the rope through the clean out. Another kid will run the shop vac while they pull the brush down. I will then pull it back up. We will run it up and down 3-4 times. It takes about 20mins total.

I just bought a brush (the flat wire brushes do work better). I do have fiberglass rods but they don’t work well for me.. actually need to just sell them. So I bought a loop adapter for the bottom that screws on the male threads.

What I do is I take the brush and two ropes up in the roof. I tie the ropes to both ends.. then drop one rope down the chimney and have a kid in the basement pull the rope through the clean out. Another kid will run the shop vac while they pull the brush down. I will then pull it back up. We will run it up and down 3-4 times. It takes about 20mins total.
When I was a youngster, I was that kid at the bottom of the rope! That was how my dad used to clean our chimney too. Heard lots of colorful words when I didn't do it right!

OP you may want to measure your flue size to double check before you order a brush. I’ve never seen a 6”x8” flue.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I finally, after a year got to use the Amazon one,. The one with the nylon brushes, poles and the cordless drill attachment. Used it on my folks fireplace chimney and my fireplace chimney. We don't have stove pipes just big ole brick chimney's. The thing worked smooth and easy. I went in from the roof for the first run, then went inside to touch up the firebox. Easy peasy should have done it years ago it was so fast. Wasn't too messy either. WW

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
OP you may want to measure your flue size to double check before you order a brush. I’ve never seen a 6”x8” flue.
I haven't measured it, and won't until I get back on the roof, but I'm pretty sure that's the correct size.
I finally, after a year got to use the Amazon one,. The one with the nylon brushes, poles and the cordless drill attachment. Used it on my folks fireplace chimney and my fireplace chimney. We don't have stove pipes just big ole brick chimney's. The thing worked smooth and easy. I went in from the roof for the first run, then went inside to touch up the firebox. Easy peasy should have done it years ago it was so fast. Wasn't too messy either. WW
Thanks for the review, I'm a little concerned about the durability of these.

Gotcha. I just don’t see chimney brushes in that size. And I’ve never seen a flue that size.

Mine is roughly that size and the same thing. Clay flue with brick frame/liner. Can’t specifically say the dimensions but it’s rectangle in shape.

Not sure on my size it’s bigger than what you mentioned but a clay flue. Both my dad and I have the same size flue and we use a metal brush that’s made for that size with a wight on the bottom and a rope on the top and clean it from the roof. Just drop it down and pull it up. Kinda a pain with the rope stretching when trying to flip the bristles around to pull it up but it works good. Menards I believe sells them.

Mine is roughly that size and the same thing. Clay flue with brick frame/liner. Can’t specifically say the dimensions but it’s rectangle in shape.
Rectangular flues are common. I’ve just never seen a 6x8, and I don’t see brushes available for that size either.

The thing that has nylon bristles and attaches to a cordless drill is called a soot eater, and it's the shit. Bought one a couple years ago and will not be going back to the old school brush. Also bring it to elk camp every year and clean the wall tent stove pipe out when breaking down camp and it's ready for the next time. As others said you can clean from the bottom if you have a steep roof or clean from the top if you want. I clean from the top because my roof isnt sketchy.

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
I have a wood stove with 6"-8" double wall pipe. I use one similar to the Amazon one above, only got it at local Menards store. Use it before every season. Pipe looks new before fire season starts! Wont touch a brush that can scratch the pipe lining.

A "bore snake" for chimneys...
Great idea!

That's it. I have the exact same thing just a different name. I also regularly toss the Rutland Creasote Remover granules into the stove every couple of fires throughout the season and it seems to help get it out of the pipe when I go to sweep it.
I toss in a couple of aluminum cans when the stove is good and hot, the night before I clean my chimney. It might be an old wives tale, but I think it helps scale the sticky creosote.