chokes for upland birds, mainly pheasants

I don't get to do a lot of it but Pheasant hunting is a favorite trip for me, not lucky enough to have my own dog but nearly always hunt with a guide who has 1 or 2 - QUESTION: I have an M2 with a 28" barrel, would I be totally stupid to lop the barrel to 25" or 26" and shoot cylinder bore ? (I'm poised for the beating I'm about to take)

manitou1

WKR
Our group always preferred midified or improved modified... and cumulatively, we have about 100 yrs of upland experience between the three of us. Prairie Storm #5s. You can thank me later. :)
Cylinder bore would be worthless for pheasant IMO.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I run improved cylinder with fiocchi golden pheasant #5's or Kent fast steel #3's the first month or so of season, depending on where I'm hunting. I switch to modified with the same loads after that. The golden pheasant hits hard enough a tighter choke usually isn't necessary. I usually switch to steel #2's through a modified choke for public land late season birds.

My gun is an 870 with a 28 inch barrel.

Norm555

WKR
I’ve only shot a modified choke out of my SBE2 and had good luck on pheasants and ducks over the past 12 years with it. Never felt the need to try something different

Mmmm...I have hunted pheasant once year for about 12 years and with an m2 for about 10 years. Western Kansas. Big groups from 10-25 shooters. Always limit out with 100-200 birds per trip. Lots of lead in the air. Seen lots of gun/ammo/choke combos in action over those years. Shots are 5-30 yards. They soemtimes get to flying away. Not an expert but I agree IC or maybe modified is the way to go. My friends that shoot double barrels use IC in the first barrel and Full in barrel number 2 thinking a follow up shot will be further out. For our hunts, cyclinder bore is probably a bad call. Iffy to bring them down once they get going beyond 15-20 yards.

I wouldn’t chop that barrel. Those cryo barrels are stupid expensive. $400-600 list. If you chop it you lose the threaded portion plus you would have to remount the front sight some way. Depending on how much your smith charges, I bet you come out better to sell your barrel used and buy a new one.

Having said that, depending on where you pheasant hunt, a 28 inch pipe isn’t really a problem in an open field. I would just shoot it as is.

Last edited:

NDGuy

WKR
I usually just shoot a full choke for everything but I would use modified or improved modified it's a good all around choice.

OP
D
OK guys, you talked me into it - I just use the 28" until I can find a replacement (or maybe just stay with the 28") Thank you for all the good input !

Copper plated fives, modified choke, 28” tube you should be good. Hunting over pointers I/C works well. Generally preferred Fiocci, not a great fan of Prairie Storm. I have a group I guide 6 days every year. They all shoot Prairie Storm. That stuff is hard on birds.

Whatever you do don't chop your barrel for pheasants, unless you have another reason. I shoot an over under and have modified chokes on both barrels. Have never had a problem and I have a 28" barrel on mine as well.

OP
D
Whatever you do don't chop your barrel for pheasants, unless you have another reason. I shoot an over under and have modified chokes on both barrels. Have never had a problem and I have a 28" barrel on mine as well.
28" on an O/U equates to about 25" on my M2

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of upland hunting sharpies, P. chickens and pheasants always thought I wanted a 26" barrel I shoot a Orion with a 28 barrel, I shoot it much better than a 26" barrel on my SKB. Longer barrels swing better in open spaces. I wouldn't cut a barrel off of any shotgun and shoot open cylinder.

JWP58

WKR
Hunting behind pointing dogs (britts) my first barrel is usually alway either cyl or ic. Personally I wouldn't cut down your barrel. Just trade for a shorter so you still have screw in chokes.

OP
D
Hunting behind pointing dogs (britts) my first barrel is usually alway either cyl or ic. Personally I wouldn't cut down your barrel. Just trade for a shorter so you still have screw in chokes.
not going to now ….

mcseal2

WKR
I use a 24" Browning Citori Upland 12 gauge, usually with a light modified in the top barrel, modified or improved modified in the bottom one. I use the same Briley tubes I use shooting trap. I get some looks with that little gun at the trap park, but I don't' get to serious about trap. I shoot on a friend's industrial league team and figure I just as well use the gun I use hunting.

OP
D
I use a 24" Browning Citori Upland 12 gauge, usually with a light modified in the top barrel, modified or improved modified in the bottom one. I use the same Briley tubes I use shooting trap. I get some looks with that little gun at the trap park, but I don't' get to serious about trap. I shoot on a friend's industrial league team and figure I just as well use the gun I use hunting.
I LIKE that logic as well