Choosing bag temp rating

CAH

FNG
I'm headed to Colorado for the third season elk hunt. Popping my cherry on an elk hunt, and gonna do a backpack in trip. In your guys' professional opinions, what would be a good temp rating to get?

Thanks in advance!

mlob1one

WKR
I'm headed to Colorado for the third season elk hunt. Popping my cherry on an elk hunt, and gonna do a backpack in trip. In your guys' professional opinions, what would be a good temp rating to get?

Thanks in advance!
At what elevation are you planning to camp?
How far are you fixing to hike in?

I would take the coldest temp you might think it could get then subtract 15-20° for your bag. Personally, I prefer a bag to be a little too warm than not warm enough. I have a 15° & a 30°bag and there have been times where I've brought both and doubled up and was so glad to wait out a storm. Now, with a stove, I can get by with my 15° & a pad with a high r value.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
C

CAH

FNG
Thanks! I was thinking a 10-15 degree bag. Planning on sticking in that 7000-9000 foot range.

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
At what elevation are you planning to camp?
How far are yippy fixing to hike in?

I would take the coldest temp you might think it could get then subtract 15-20° for your bag. Personally, I prefer a bag to be a little too warm than not warm enough. I have a 15° & a 30°bag and there have been times where I've brought both and doubled up and was so glad to wait out a storm. Now, with a stove, I can get by with my 15° & a pad with a high r value.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
10-20 degrees lower rating than forecasts lowest temp.
Zero degrees bag/quilt is a good place to start

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
Being a little warm is ALWAYS better than being too cold in the backcountry. Look at getting a pad with a >5 R value as well to complement. ~0 degree is probably where I'd look too without a stove and maybe a 15 if you have a bomber pad and a stove. Downside of the stove is that once it's out, the temp drops. I don't hump in an insulated tent.

Been hunting CO in Sept the past few years and have been super pleased using a 0* Slick Bag and Xtherm pad (5.7 r value).

Getnlost

FNG
I dont have tons of experience but I also chose a 0 degree slick bag due to its size, synthetic material, and center zip. My idea was i can always unzip and cool off but its a lot harder to get warm.