Chopping a 6.5 creedmoor

Have been thinking about adding a 6.5 creedmoor for hunting. I really liked the 20" barrel length on my last compact Tikka but would prefer stainless over blued for this next one. So toying with the idea of getting a stainless 6.5 Tikka and chopping down the barrel. I can't use suppressors where I am so this really is just to make it easier to handle in a tree stand, blind, or strapping to a pack, and maybe shedding a couple ounces but moreso making it handier to carry.

Is there ever any risk of effecting accuracy negatively when you get a barrel cut?

As far as length goes, was thinking 18" or 20" should provide more than enough velocity for my abilities and opportunities. But how will the muzzle blast be? Is it much worse at 18 vs 20"?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Currently chopping a ss tikka 6.5cm down to 16.25”, I will have to chrono it, but with 143 eldx or 140 eldm I should have good bullet disruption out to 600 yards in theory which is plenty good for me. I will be using a suppressor though, I have a 20” 6.5 cm so I kind of figured 18” would have been redundant, cut several rifles, I have had zero issues with accuracy

OP
Kbhillhunter
I think your splitting hairs with 18 vs 20. I can't even tell a noticeable difference with my 20 vs 24 rly. Expect to lose 25-30fps per inch when cutting.

I figured the velocity would be negligible. I was mostly curious if the muzzle blast got noticably worse at 18 vs 20. Figured the occasional offhand shot I may not always be able to get ear pro up in time.

I'll be doing the same thing this year but on a stainless Winchester Model 70. Beautiful rifle but a touch too long for me. I know the loss in speed will be relatively negligible but rifles with 20" barrels just feel right to me. I'll pick up a new Garmin in the spring and run some before and after velocity tests if I can just to see the difference.

Currently chopping a ss tikka 6.5cm down to 16.25”, I will have to chrono it, but with 143 eldx or 140 eldm I should have good bullet disruption out to 600 yards in theory which is plenty good for me. I will be using a suppressor though, I have a 20” 6.5 cm so I kind of figured 18” would have been redundant, cut several rifles, I have had zero issues with accuracy
What velocity are you expecting with this setup?

Hnthrdr

WKR
What velocity are you expecting with this setup?
I’m expecting around 2500 fps out the next tube. Should get me to around 550 yards keeping impact velocity right around 1800 fps. With 143 eld-X that is. Which is plenty far, but I won’t know until I start shooting and chrono it, I thought it was a little further like 600, but realistically I won’t shoot at game that far so 550 is plenty

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I very recently chopped a new tikka 6.5 24” down to 18” and added a UM SS Pro 4 break. Averaged ~.6” three shot groups on the first 40 rounds. I was impressed to say the least. Factory loaded 147 Eldm and 142 Smk

No idea on muzzle db.. doubt 18-20 would be much more than factory.

Velocity as stated above ~25fps x6” cut so I figured 150fps loss. If the shots are under 600 yards on living critters I think I am good 😉

Last edited:

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I chopped my Tikka stainless and fluted it (against the recommendation of some on here) and looks great and shoots the exact same as before.

17” barrel, I haven’t crono’d it but the dope I gathered put it right at 2500 fps with 140 eldm which puts me out past 550 yds effective. That was without the can on it.
IMG_5652.jpeg

OP
Kbhillhunter
I chopped my Tikka stainless and fluted it (against the recommendation of some on here) and looks great and shoots the exact same as before.

17” barrel, I haven’t crono’d it but the dope I gathered put it right at 2500 fps with 140 eldm which puts me out past 550 yds effective. That was without the can on it.
View attachment 680335

Nice looking rig!

matthewmt

WKR
I had a SL 6.5 cut to 21" just in front of the flutes, speeds with factory eldm 140gr were 2558 avg and it shot fine.

Had a savage light weight hunter in a 20" and it was a shooter as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BLJ

WKR
I cut my 308 down with a hacksaw and finished the crown with stone on a Dremel with no loss of accuracy.
Lost about 80 FPS for 4” of barrel removed per my ballistic calculator.
Also came out to about an ounce an inch in weight loss on the front.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
I cut my 308 down with a hacksaw and finished the crown with stone on a Dremel with no loss of accuracy.
Lost about 80 FPS for 4” of barrel removed per my ballistic calculator.
Also came out to about an ounce an inch in weight loss on the front.

Which dremel stone did you use to re-crown? Bee debating doing this vs ordering the 45 degree chamfer tool from reamer rentals.

BLJ

WKR
@jamesmc8

IMG_3188.jpeg

3/8” across the base and 3/4” OA.
Not sure what grit but I’m thinking they were color coded so possibly look for the tan.

After I cut the barrel all I did was file out the saw marks the best I could.
I had an oil soaked patch about 3” from the muzzle, held muzzle vertical and lightly hit it with the stone. Just a very slight bevel.

Worked on this until I had no burrs on the muzzle.
I checked for smoothness with a Q-Tip. I figured if it didn’t cause one of those to fuzz, it wouldn’t affect the bullet.

Once I thought it was smooth enough, I pushed the patch on through.
Repeated the oily patch process until I was happy that no metal particles were left.

More than happy with the results.

I’m expecting around 2500 fps out the next tube. Should get me to around 550 yards keeping impact velocity right around 1800 fps. With 143 eld-X that is. Which is plenty far, but I won’t know until I start shooting and chrono it, I thought it was a little further like 600, but realistically I won’t shoot at game that far so 550 is plenty
I shoot a 20" barrel and getting 2640 fps from 147 ELD-M's.

AZsniper

WKR
Just bought a Ruger ranch gen 2 with 16in barrel in 6.5 creed. I am getting 2449 from factory 143gr ELDX. Gun is cheap and accurate. And light.

199p

FNG
My t3 6.5cm whas a 16" barrel with a can, Shoots factory hornady 143eldx at 2530fps. Kills very very well. longest kill was bang on 380y, red hind on a slip.