Chronograph upgrade or downgrade...

Tod osier

WKR
I have a Magnetospeed sporter that works great for what it is. I bought it to use at busy ranges that I can't set up an optical chronograph (don't own one of those). I dislike (I guess because I'm an anal prick) the change in POI with the magnetospeed and I feel like I'm just wasting ammo shooting through it in load development because I don't trust the groups and POI shift (this is somewhat in my head, I get it). Loading extra ammo for velocity data just bugs me.

I'm setting up a range at home where I can do whatever I want. Looking for wisdom since I don't have experiance with the other options... Labradar vs optical chronograph. How much of a PITA is it to set up an optical chronograph and shoot through it into a target gaining both velocity and accuracy info at one time? Is either the labradar or optical chronographs more picky or fussy? I'd like whatever is just easier / more straightforward to use at a home range where only I was shooting, bring it out, set it up and shoot. I'd like to avoid something like the labradar if it is fussy at all and doesn't just work, spending extra money to dick with something fussy would bug me too.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
I use a CED, and its ok to set up. I have a tripod it never leaves so the height for the range is right then it's just alignment, which you get better at the more you do it. Sunlight and other things affect it. It does a decent job otherwise.

You could always look into something like this from wiser. Depending on what your rifle has available for mounting.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I borrowed an optical several times when working up loads. I found that one at least to be pretty finicky. Of the lighting wasn't right, the clouds shifted, or I wasn't situated at the perfect height above it would not read. If I reloaded a string of 5 with a specific load and got 3 velocities I called it a win. I bought a magneto speed and am much happier and waste less ammo chasing velocities. The optical also gave me velocities that were 75 fps faster (incorrectly) than my magneto speed.

When I am getting velocities I just use those rounds to ring steel around 300-400 yards. Good practice and can hit and I don't have any groups to question POI shift.

rayporter

WKR
setting up an optical chrono at home is not too big of a pain. i used a laser bore sighter in the chamber in place of the bolt to get the bullet in position over the chrono.

but a LR is just so easy to use that you set it up every time. plunk it down and aim it with a t square and shoot.

rayporter

WKR
another problem with the optical is if you wish to shoot multiple distances you have to reset it every time.

if the LR was not available i am pretty sure i could adapt to a MS over the opticals.

I would guess if you shoot enough to set up a home range then the cost per use of a Lab radar would be well worth it! Cheap optical chorono is just that!

Last edited:
I had the MagnetoSpeed. Just upgraded to a Labradar (for all the reasons you mentioned). I wouldn't go back now that I have used the Labradar a few times.

Once you get it set, and are familiar with the process, the Labradar is awesome. But it is a process and can be frustrating at times. A home range will eliminate some of those issues... And with some preparation and patience, I think you would be very happy with the unit.

An alternative to consider would be an aftermarket mounting system for the MagnetoSpeed.

Weldor

WKR
I just use a Wiser engineering carbon fiber mount on my magnetospeed, works greatpoi shift worries. Really studied the Labradar excellent when they work. reveiws all over the place. Decided to stay with the Magneto. 2 cents worth.

Mag_7s

WKR
I would also highly recommend the Lab Radar. It is simple, easy and very accurate. You don't have to worry about sunlight, angle, or shooting the hoods off. I purchased one to work primarily on load develpment to save time and money. I have found some loads look great on paper, but fall apart at distance due to extreme spreads. The method I now use I learned from Eric Cortina, an F-class shooter who has enlightend my reloading process. You can find his stuff on YouTube. Simply put, he finds a powder charge that has low extreme spread, then adjusts bullet seating depth to tune. I hope this helps in your decision.

Have a CED ProChrono, MS Sporter, and LabRadar.

Optical is by far the most finicky and least reliable. I frequently didn't trust the results when I used it. I have the same hesitations with the Sporter as listed in the OP. With how components and ammo is, I dont want to waste ammo with the wrong POI and possible harmonics changes. LabRadar has been trouble free and by far the most convenient for me. I use it far more than I need to but it's always nice to see if something is changing whether a barrel is speeding up or slowing down, temp impacts, etc.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
I use it far more than I need to but it's always nice to see if something is changing whether a barrel is speeding up or slowing down, temp impacts, etc.

That was my thought as a major benefit with the labradar, just always have it on. 20 shots is a lot better than strapping a magnetospeed for 3 or 5.

68Plexi

WKR
I had a Caldwell and got a Magnetospeed. No way I’d go back to the Caldwell. Yes, poi is changed, but once I get a velocity reading I’m pretty well done with it.

Not intending to hijack OP thread, but I have no experience with chronographs. I don’t reload but have a couple rifles I need muzzle velocity (don’t trust the numbers on the ammo box) for CDS scope dials. And I don’t know anyone with a chronograph or have a spot I can rent one. Is the Caldwell not sufficient for what I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Not intending to hijack OP thread, but I have no experience with chronographs. I don’t reload but have a couple rifles I need muzzle velocity (don’t trust the numbers on the ammo box) for CDS scope dials. And I don’t know anyone with a chronograph or have a spot I can rent one. Is the Caldwell not sufficient for what I need?

Doesn't bother me a bit!

It would be sufficient