Chronograph upgrade or downgrade...

Mag_7s

WKR
Not intending to hijack OP thread, but I have no experience with chronographs. I don’t reload but have a couple rifles I need muzzle velocity (don’t trust the numbers on the ammo box) for CDS scope dials. And I don’t know anyone with a chronograph or have a spot I can rent one. Is the Caldwell not sufficient for what I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can run a reverse trajectory for a good velocity. If you have an area you can shoot at extended ranges ( the farther the better), you can get a good velocity. You will need to download a ballistic app, input some basic rifle, bullet and atmospheric variables into the calculator. Then go shoot at a know distance. Input how many minutes or mils of elevation it took to receive an impact, and you should receive a reverse trajectory with a pretty solid velocity. Of course, given all your variables are accurate.

rayporter

WKR
the LR will set on a bench and operate just fine with 50 rifles shootin at once. many are used in competition with no external trigger needed.
matt at arco machine makes a compact base that fits in the case with the unit so no tripod is needed if you have a bench.
qiY2Q7T.jpg

bqwablv.jpg

hmYpn1L.jpg

You can run a reverse trajectory for a good velocity. If you have an area you can shoot at extended ranges ( the farther the better), you can get a good velocity. You will need to download a ballistic app, input some basic rifle, bullet and atmospheric variables into the calculator. Then go shoot at a know distance. Input how many minutes or mils of elevation it took to receive an impact, and you should receive a reverse trajectory with a pretty solid velocity. Of course, given all your variables are accurate.

This is a more reliable solution for a leupold CDS anyway. Could correct possible errors with real bullet BC and scope tracking adjustments. That said, using factory ammo from different lots and not validating actual MV is likely to induce errors too as there can be a lot of variance.

Weldor

WKR
Not intending to hijack OP thread, but I have no experience with chronographs. I don’t reload but have a couple rifles I need muzzle velocity (don’t trust the numbers on the ammo box) for CDS scope dials. And I don’t know anyone with a chronograph or have a spot I can rent one. Is the Caldwell not sufficient for what I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caldwell will work just fine for your needs.

Do you use an external shot trigger? Seems like a lot of people are happy with those.

I haven't had much for issues with it triggering on other people shooting unless there is another gun within a bench of 2 of me on the range. 15' to the side I wouldn't expect it to trigger. I don't have an external trigger, but need to put it in front of the muzzle if shooting suppressed. Otherwise it's usually directly beside the rifle between the trigger and bipod.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Just adding feedback on a cheaper option, I ditched the Magnetospeed for the same reason. Picked up a ProChrono DLX and have shot a couple hundred rounds over it since, the only shot it missed was when I tried without the diffusers on. Also shot over it with Magnetospeed on and they were very close, with the optical being 12+' in front of muzzle. All my calculator tuning has been < 20fps of chrono velocity too.

LR is obviously top tier, but if you need something to get you by like I did, the ProChrono has served me well so far.

the LR will set on a bench and operate just fine with 50 rifles shootin at once. many are used in competition with no external trigger needed.
matt at arco machine makes a compact base that fits in the case with the unit so no tripod is needed if you have a bench.
qiY2Q7T.jpg

bqwablv.jpg

hmYpn1L.jpg

Tagging this for the base. I have the tabletop tripod and it works but this looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the Labradar and I love it and I don’t say that about much. You can name you loads and input environments so you can go back for reference. Not only can you put notes on the string of shots but also each shot individually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve been using a Caldwell for several years and love it. I’ve seen folks at the range with magnospeeds and Labradars. I have no desire to have either of those. I’d rather have my Caldwell.

Flyjunky

WKR
I've had the Caldwell, Magnetospeed, and Labradar. The labradar is the only one we use anymore and there is no way I'd ever go back to the caldwell. The magnetospeed works great but like said above, you're wasting precious components, especially if you do have a lot of guns to do load development for.

Mag_7s

WKR
One consideration I was always curious about when I was using an optical was how level the chronograph was in relation to my bore. Since the projectile is being timed through the windows any slight angle is going to change the measurable distance. With an object passing so quickly through a small distance the margin of error has the possibility of being pretty significant. I have nothing to back this up, and might be wrong, but based on how I think optical chronographs work it makes sense in my mind.