Chronograph upgrade or downgrade...

rayporter

WKR
i never procured the external trigger because mine has never tripped from other rifles. i know matt and Bart and Billy stevens and Tim singleton used a l r in competition and have no trouble. but it does not matter because you could not attach it to the rifle anyway. at home excepted.

you can see in the pic how close the next benches are in the above pic.

one reason to get the trigger is if you are having trouble aiming the unit. i have considered an aiming device that is made but i dont think it will be much more effectice than a section of arrow shaft, i could be wrong on this. but the t square it pretty decent at getting it on target 95 % of the time. and getting readings out to 100 yd adds a lot if info to your knowledge. eye opening on occasion.

that little external battery on mine will run it for 8 hours a day for 3 days by turning off at lunch and when i remember -lol.

i have a similar slightly larger battery for my chargemaster that will run it for 5 days with at least one day left on for 30 hours.

there is a unit out now in direct competition with the LR. don't know the details but it is much smaller.

if you remove the bolt of the rifle most lasers will shine down the barrel enough to see where the bullet will be on your hand at the optical chrono. if you shoot at the same bench [ or prone] every time and can leave the tripod set up and the chrono on it you can paint the ground where it will set and get pretty fast as setting it up. with practice you will be able to adapt to the sunshine also. it is not real obnoxious at home or if you have the range to yourself.

to a certain degree everything will have something you dont like. you have to pick you poison.

rayporter

WKR
if you want something that was a pain, my first chrongraph was a pair of optical sensors that tripped a timer. literally. the sensors had to be mounted on something 5 or 10 feet apart and when the bullet tripped them you got a time. the time had a formula that converted to FPS.

we found out fast that back then factory speeds were extremely optimistic. it also lead to my pard selling his outstanding .270 varmint slayer that did not shoot as fast as the book claimed it should.