Chronographs

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is the right answer. Second best would be find a dirt cheap used one because the market will be flooded with them after many switch to the garmin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
yup. I sold my magneto speed for 90 bucks shipped.

EdP

WKR
Since you asked:
Looking for an entry level without breaking the bank.
I don't think a $600 unit is what you have in mind. That is what the Garmin is selling for.

For $140 you can get a Competition Electronics Prochrono DLX. It will Blue Tooth to your phone so you can get the data and change strings while sitting at the shooting bench. I recently replaced my old manual Prochrono that died after about 20 years of service with the DLX and I am completely happy with it. The downside is that it is a "shoot through" design that has to be set up downrange a short distance. That isn't a problem for me because the range I shoot at is not very busy. There are other similar units such as the one marketed by Caldwell, but the on-line reviews suck.

If I shot at a busy range I would buy the Garmin without another thought. As far as the other "high end" units go, I would not have a Magnetospeed because it attaches to the barrel and affects POI and potentially accuracy. The LabRadar units seem to be fraught with issues based on what I have read about them. If you want the best go with the Garmin, but if you can tolerate setting a unit up down range you can save a bunch of $ going with the DLX.

Axlrod

WKR
I have had a LR about 5 years. I use an external Battery and a trigger. The first time I brought it to the range i forgot the instructions. Figured it out and have been using it ever since. No problems with it ever. A couple friends have the Garmin, it works very well. I'll keep my orig. LR because it works, I know how to use it, and it's paid for.

Lab radar is announcing a new small unit at SHOT. So the original LR's will be pretty plentiful on the used market:

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Labradar just announced a new unit that is in same category as the Garmin. It is the Labradar LX. It didn’t take them long after losing market share. It’s even priced the same as the Garmin.

My labradar is about to be for sale if you're looking for a deal! It's mint. Going to pickup the garmin.

Since you asked:

I don't think a $600 unit is what you have in mind. That is what the Garmin is selling for.

For $140 you can get a Competition Electronics Prochrono DLX. It will Blue Tooth to your phone so you can get the data and change strings while sitting at the shooting bench. I recently replaced my old manual Prochrono that died after about 20 years of service with the DLX and I am completely happy with it. The downside is that it is a "shoot through" design that has to be set up downrange a short distance. That isn't a problem for me because the range I shoot at is not very busy. There are other similar units such as the one marketed by Caldwell, but the on-line reviews suck.

If I shot at a busy range I would buy the Garmin without another thought. As far as the other "high end" units go, I would not have a Magnetospeed because it attaches to the barrel and affects POI and potentially accuracy. The LabRadar units seem to be fraught with issues based on what I have read about them. If you want the best go with the Garmin, but if you can tolerate setting a unit up down range you can save a bunch of $ going with the DLX.
I have the same. It's fine for the few times a year I set up new loads. As cool as they are, I don't use one enough to justify $600. FWIW, Garmin seems to be pretty good about serving a lot of markets. They are a midwestern company so that helps on the outdoor front IMO. That said I just blew $4k on 20 year old garmin avionics... :(

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the Garmin's are fairly idiot-proof, but not necessarily more precise if you already own a labradar and know how to use it.
If you like carrying the brick, have wire going everywhere with a high chance of missing shots, and the app freezing most of the time then stick with the Labradar. I owned a Labradar and got it to work pretty dang good but the time it takes to set it up, I could be done shooting with the Garmin Xero with zero missed shots.

Lytro

WKR
If you like carrying the brick, have wire going everywhere with a high chance of missing shots, and the app freezing most of the time then stick with the Labradar. I owned a Labradar and got it to work pretty dang good but the time it takes to set it up, I could be done shooting with the Garmin Xero with zero missed shots.
Hey, man! Stop getting in the way of me trying to convince myself I don't need to spend money on a new chrono :ROFLMAO:

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, man! Stop getting in the way of me trying to convince myself I don't need to spend money on a new chrono :ROFLMAO:
The money I got for my Labradar combined with Cabelas 15% holiday discount and cabelas points, I only had to fork out $100 for my Garmin.

Just do it. You’ll thank yourself later.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
EuroOptic has them in stock. Free shipping and they pay the sales tax.

I think the best part of the Garmin (or other radar style chronographs) is that now I can capture speeds while shooting rocks etc. at all ranges out in the field. Usually, I just shoot over a traditional chronograph when zeroing, but then when I'm field shooting, it's not practical (or if shooting off a hill, there's no place for a chronograph).

But the Garmin I just stick in my pack, hike to wherever I'm shooting, and then it's just on the mat next to me - really helps seeing oddities in elevation at distance and seeing realtime what the speed is.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

gman82001

WKR
I think the best part of the Garmin (or other radar style chronographs) is that now I can capture speeds while shooting rocks etc. at all ranges out in the field. Usually, I just shoot over a traditional chronograph when zeroing, but then when I'm field shooting, it's not practical (or if shooting off a hill, there's no place for a chronograph).

But the Garmin I just stick in my pack, hike to wherever I'm shooting, and then it's just on the mat next to me - really helps seeing oddities in elevation at distance and seeing realtime what the speed is.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I’m excited about I’ll be able to collect speed data even when I’m practicing field positions and it just helps the more velocity readings you can get

Rich M

WKR
Are you shooting off a bench or table on a flat range? I don't so it's hard to get it lined up
I set my gun up on bipod or tripod and then fit the chrono ( on tripod) to it. Scope shows clean picture.

Not saying there is anything wrong w you, it is just pretty easy for me to set up.

Janesy

FNG
I just got my Garmin zeroyesterday. Aside from some restriction inside the app that need to be address, it's pretty awesome.

Shooting arrows indoors can be a challenge to get accurate, dependable reading without a light kit in the dark. The Garmin did away with all that. Just put it in front of the bow and it does it's thing. Doesn't matter if you have a lighted nock, or if the arrow hasn't stabilized over the screens.

On the other hand, the used market is about to get flooded with shoot over Chronys at very cheap prices. My SC Beta is already listed.

JjamesIII

WKR
Save up for the Garmin.
Garmin looks solid, they don’t put out garbage from my experience with many of their products. The magneto speed has proven to give me solid readings, if you want to save money with the bit of set up inconvenience and it’s hormonic effects on the barrel due to the bayonet attachment to your muzzle. Screw any “optical” style chrono.