Cleaning rifle after season

I find that after thorough cleaning of the bore (removing all copper and carbon down to bare metal), it takes between 12 and 15 shots before I get back to my 1/2 inch groups. Question I have for the forum members, do you always clean to bare metal after the season, or just remove the carbon leaving some copper in there? My barrel is stainless and I have several dehumidifers in the gunsafe, so feel it's protected against rust in the bore.
I was thinking about just running a patch or two of Hoppes #9 to remove loose fouling and call it good. If I get a last minute call to go hunting, I wouldn't be able to fire 12 or so shots to get it back to optimum accuracy.
Stupid question, but hunting is mostly over and I have nothing better to do. What do you guys (and gals) do?

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
My Christensen 7rm takes over 20 for it to settle back in. Now I just don’t clean it, and it keeps shooting 🤷🏼‍♂️
My CA went to hell after 40-50 rounds. CLeaned it and it immediately went back to stacking holes at 100. Hopefully i dont have to keep cleaning it regularly. Its a Classic Carbon 300WSM

S-3 ranch

WKR
I've quit cleaning barrels until accuracy starts to drop off or velocity starts getting wonky.
Then again I tend towards being lazy if given the choice...
Same here , I shot a M70 .300wm for 30+ years and she would tell me when it was time , usully @ 50 rounds, but hard to tell with a sub MOA gun when hunting

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i only clean my rifles when i'm bored and need something to do. or if an increasing lack of precision calls for it.
"after" season just means i get to sleep in on weekends (or attempt to) and i can go to the shooting range for fun.

if it takes 10+ shots to get back to "normal" i'd rarely clean.