Cleaning a very dirty barrel

SDHNTR

WKR
This thread reminds me, I have some kroil and JB bore paste in my kit ready to work on my copper mine of a 30-06 model 70. I have only found a couple loads it likes and I'm wondering if it's because it's not cleaned that well. Time to find out. Any tips on Kroil and JB? I got some of those tipton pellets to try out too.
My JB tub has not been touched since I found that Boretech Chameleon gel. It’s more effective and less abrasive.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
My last couple of Rum barrels were never cleaned. They all burnt up around 850 rounds if cleaning was important I would have noticed and…nothing blew up like some barrel companies claim. I haven’t cleaned much since.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
Count me in with the no-clean club. Seems like an exercise in futility.

SloppyJ

WKR
My JB tub has not been touched since I found that Boretech Chameleon gel. It’s more effective and less abrasive.
Couldn't find any of the boretech stuff to buy so I went with the old faithful. The factory barrel could use a little jb anyway, even though it was a supergrade, it wasn't the prettiest inside the barrel. But thank you for the heads up on those products I will snag them next time I see them available.

Clarktar

WKR
Curious, do the different branches of military require barrel cleaning? What about L.E. groups?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Can you show a single field rifle with 7 different groups spanning several years with 8 to 20 rounds between .8-1.1 MOA?
No. I have several that will do half of that. Over 40 years. I don't see much point in shooting 10 shot groups. I might wear out a barrel every week. Here's one 3 shot that measures about .350 at 400 meters. Or another at 100 yards. I'm not much of a picture taker but maybe I could find one more for you. Just a couple of coyote rifles that I built. They like clean barrels.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 48

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
No. I have several that will do half of that. Over 40 years. I don't see much point in shooting 10 shot groups. I might wear out a barrel every week. Here's one 3 shot that measures about .350 at 400 meters. Or another at 100 yards. I'm not much of a picture taker but maybe I could find one more for you. Just a couple of coyote rifles that I built. They like clean barrels.

Exactly. Some cherry picked 3 shot “groups”. You do not understand statistical validity do you?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Curious, do the different branches of military require barrel cleaning? What about L.E. groups?

Do you believe either group does whatever they do based on rigorous research and experimentation, or because they what they’ve been told?

Count me in the group that doesn’t clean barrels. I used to clean rifles every 40-50 rounds but have since moved on to other things.

I bet my 6.5SAUM has 500+ rounds and only every had a few dry patches down the tube after some rainy hunts. Just shot it this weekend and still hold under MOA and banging steel. Good enough for me.

Exactly. Some cherry picked 3 shot “groups”. You do not understand statistical validity do you?
No, I don't know nuthin about no statistical stuff. I barely got out of 8th grade. I do know one thing for sure. If you want to prove your perceived superiority, why don't you go out and shoot some 3 shot "groups" at 400 meters and post em up and see how they compare. Cherry pick any of them you want. I'd be willing to bet that I've got you covered. No fair cheating and cleaning your barrels before you shoot.

mt100gr.

WKR
No, I don't know nuthin about no statistical stuff. I barely got out of 8th grade. I do know one thing for sure. If you want to prove your perceived superiority, why don't you go out and shoot some 3 shot "groups" at 400 meters and post em up and see how they compare. Cherry pick any of them you want. I'd be willing to bet that I've got you covered. No fair cheating and cleaning your barrels before you shoot.
Waste of ammo!! Let's see a 30 shot group for some statistical relevance. Seriously.

atmat

WKR
Why don’t you post a 10 shot group at 100 and include any flyers instead? Seriously, anyone can pick a 3 shot group and look great.

Shooting at 400 introduces a good deal of environmental variables to use that scientifically.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Dang! This is getting old skool!!! I love it! Those were some impressive 300m groups, assuming you can shoot those on command!

Flyjunky

WKR
Like most things regarding shooting/rifles there is no right answer…it depends. Powder, chamber, bore quality, cartridge, etc all play a role on if/when you should clean. I clean my 300wm around 60-70 firings but my smaller cartridges go longer between cleanings. Also, I make sure I cleaned between testing a mono and my usual Bergers. What was normally a very good load with the Bergers shot roughly twice as large after shooting about 25 Barnes ttsx. Cleaned the gun and after 3 foulers it was back to its normal grouping. I’ve also had carbon ring problems in the past on a rifle that would create pressure problems and cleaning that rifle often kept that problem at bay.